mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

Talking Hello! + gun advice

Hi there guys,
I'm a rec player on a student budget . I currently shoot my abomination of an Ion, Grendel. However, I like to run and move and I find that my gun slows me down and is larger than necessary for my play style. So I'm selling some stuff to pick up a new marker.

I don't need a ridiculous ROF, I find that I play far better with limited paint. This being said, the only thing scaring me away from a vsc phantom is bunkering multiple people. I tend to bite off more than I can chew when playing up close and I find that a quick follow up shot can save my bacon more time than not.

I'm looking into a pump with A/T but I would be open to a small semi (pistols?). Lastly and most importantly, I play to have FUN. The fun aspect of a gun can be a deal breaker (for example, can I hold it one handed so I can wield a foam sword to add pizzazz to my barrel tags? ). Also, I'm looking for some buddies to play with, anyone in socal who wouldn't mind loaning me a pump for a game?
Thanks in advance, Panda
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Go to the West Coast section. They host game once a while, and if you show up there are plenty of pump you can borrow to try.
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

honestly your ion setup sounds perfect for your playing style. i know i would use it if i'm stuck with an ion.

if i was to suggest a gun for you i would suggest something like an empire axe, but it's so similar to what you already have that the difference isn't worth the 400 bucks.

if you find your setup too bulky, maybe it is your tank. i use a 45 ci tank when most people use a 68 cubic inch tank. the places i play have all day air. there's no point to have a large tank since fills are no longer charged per filling.

if you have an old halo, get rid of it. they're heavy. use something newer and lighter like vlocity or maybe rotor.

other than that, just trigger discipline can save you some paint. get out of that shooting-a-rope mindset.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
, the only thing scaring me away from a vsc phantom is bunkering multiple people. I tend to bite off more than I can chew when playing up close and I find that a quick follow up shot can save my bacon more time than not.

I'm looking into a pump with A/T
The Phantom has an autotrigger

Welcome to the forums

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
honestly your ion setup sounds perfect for your playing style. i know i would use it if i'm stuck with an ion.

if i was to suggest a gun for you i would suggest something like an empire axe, but it's so similar to what you already have that the difference isn't worth the 400 bucks.

if you find your setup too bulky, maybe it is your tank. i use a 45 ci tank when most people use a 68 cubic inch tank. the places i play have all day air. there's no point to have a large tank since fills are no longer charged per filling.

if you have an old halo, get rid of it. they're heavy. use something newer and lighter like vlocity or maybe rotor.

other than that, just trigger discipline can save you some paint. get out of that shooting-a-rope mindset.
I concur.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
abandoned SCPer

CCM Fan
you can get a sniper with a winchester or sportshot and a 13/3k tank for less than $225 if you shop around a bit. best balance of follow up shots, limited paint, and a light package.

GL
Penarol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

Thanks for the input, I'll start off by lighting up my ion and then see if I can move down to a pump cocker or o/c phantom
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Thanks for the input, I'll start off by lighting up my ion and then see if I can move down to a pump cocker or o/c phantom
I don't think that a cocker pump will be much lighter than an Ion. The Phantom however is a feather weight. I love how fast I can sprint and move with my little Phantom. You can slowly move to the phantom by changing your play style. Maybe start with a small hopper on your Ion. Eventually when you are able to get used to playing with limited paintballs, then pick up a Phantom.
georgeyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
If you wanna have fun, run around with a tpx with constant air. Fun. As. Hell.
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
One Pump Chump

Fan of EMR
Kilt Fan
Phantom or sterling with stick feed and either 13 ci or 12 grams
cirkle68 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport