mcarterbrown.com

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Let the kids play. From a parent, for a parents.

Edit:Feb 21, 2014, second video has been redone

Edit: July 7, 2013, this has now been moved over to Social Paintball to get better reach to more parents..

From a Paintball Parent for Parents - Social Paintball

I have started a series of articles explaining what is paintball to parents:
First Article: What is Paintball? - Social Paintball

I made 3 videos from me...as a parent to parents. Use to let parent let you and your friends play. Do share repost etc as much as you like. Its my way to give back to a great sport.

Before posting a reply, can we please keep this on target. I personally couldnt care about US vs Canada, Pro Handgun anti gun. I will gladly join in that discussion in a new thread. But the purpose of these videos and this thread is so a parent can come here watch and the videos and read the thread, then decide if they want their child to play.

Update. December 15, 2012. I just turned this videos ...and more...into an Online Guide for Parents about Paintball. Family - Social Paintball
I need some of your "expert" feedback here people. Im more of a parent than a paintballer.

I updated the first video based on feedback from this thread. January 30, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwyFxZD81jk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXyr7Tqr7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezaViOE_284

Last edited by gmore70; 02-22-2014 at 12:07 PM.
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Licensed idiot

I feel that it focuses too much on the statistics and not enough on the specifics of the safety equipment, but I'm neither a parent, nor concerned.

B-17 feedback
B-17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Well you turned me off with the little rant on hating handguns. You can inform and educate parents without bringing up comparisons with real guns. Of course if you are from canada i can see why you hate them. Its what you've been brought up to beleive. Seriously, stick to the facts. Iguess kids in canada dont run around with toy guns playing army or cops and robbers? There is nothing wrong with guns.

When i worked in a paintball shop i would have parents come in all the time asking for information. I would explain the game, show them the safety equipment, lets them hold and try on the gear, and showed them a video of us playing. If other parents of regular players were in th shop i would introduce them and let them ask questions to the other parent. 9 out of 10 parents would end up letting their kid play. The tenth parent, well they were never going to approve of it anyway, usually because they feared aything with a trigger. And thats fine too. Noteveryone needs to play. Loose the propaganda speech and it will sound more professional. And good job with the intent of the video. Suprised someone didnt do it sooner.

Last edited by Interceptor; 12-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

You're completely missing the point. The point being for those that dont like guns, you cant draw a parallel to paintball.

As I said in the video...lets not turn this is to a , pro gun anti gun.

Lets talk directly to those parents who say "I will not let my kids play paintball because I hate hand guns."
Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I watched. I completely understood the hand-gun portion of it. I got that you're simply saying you can't compare- you love one and you hate the other. Apples to oranges.

The only constructive critisism I have is like someone mentioned above. Perhaps, more focus on the safety equipment and showing the markers. While informative, pictures are worth 1000 words and people don't get a good concept of what they're dealing with past running in the woods.

I think they're great and my above comment isn't taking away from your videos, I'm suggesting maybe a third installment!

Enjoy.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

gmore70,
your videos are excellent. The narration and filming where top notch. While some of the pop up screens where a bit overwhelming towards the end, overall the editing was very good. I enjoyed the demeanor and tone throughout. These videos are a great example for us to follow on how we can conduct ourselves in life.

I understand that others may criticize a lack of focus on the equipment and safety in these videos. But, there are plenty of other "how to" sources out there on those subjects. C'mon, there are plenty of other cool gear/gadget vids for us to watch. Some parents may not be looking for a safety video on paintball if they don't even like the idea of the sport. They need more of a psychological/social context for the sport. This video opens up that discussion for parents who may be apprehensive about of totally against their child playing this sport.

You touched upon a subject area that has not been widely explored. As such, your videos are perfect as is. Although I would not discourage you from expanding your content, there is no need to change or edit what you already have.

Bravo on your work.

full disclosure: I am not a parent, but I have taught middle and high school for 5 years. and I've been told I am a carebear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Of course if you are from canada i can see why you hate them. Its what you've been brought up to beleive.
Please, please don't say things like this. You just promote prejudice and hatred. You are playing into and promoting the stereotypical self-centered uninformed American archetype. please don't do that.

Northern brothers: I am an American. Not all Americans think what this one has said about our Canadian brothers.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum

Last edited by Legolas; 12-09-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Please, please don't say things like this. You just promote prejudice and hatred. You are playing into and promoting the stereotypical self-centered uninformed American archetype. please don't do that.

Northern brothers: I am an American. Not all Americans think what this one has said

about our Canadian brothers.
Oh get over yourself. Im not promoting predjudice or hatred. No one hates out " nothern brothers". Even after they gave us justin beiber. And stop trying a apologise for me. He has his opinion, i have mine.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I loved these videos.

Guys should calm down about the safety in the videos, if he wants too, he can make another one about it.

He is focusing on what parents think about their kids playing the sport. It's hard to tell a parent to let the child play when all they have is misconceptions on the sport.

If we can all be mature here we should focus on these videos and how we can help with it, rather than argue about stupid **** again.

Thanks for the videos, I bookmarked them for the later :] Good job!
Slipknot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I have thought about the equipment angle, but there are so many great videos by real experts already.

At the same time, I have been wondering that if I make a video saying the same thing, BUT, from a parent, would that help. I am still undecided.

I mean, I keep hearing that stupid myth about frozen paintballs from parents. There are a ton of good videos dispelling that stupid myth. So would it help to make another one...because its coming from a parent?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Nice Job!!!

I,m Dutch,but I still could understand it.Thats a plus for parents all over the world.I,m a parent of a 10 weeks old girl,but I would let her play if she wanted to.

As for the handgun thing,if your pro handgun just let it slide.everyone has an opinion.

keep up the good work this is better that some random paintball video were some guy gets shot up.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport