mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Getting Back into PB - Hi guys

So I'm the same 99BPS from Pbnation,
and sadly also from PBreview. I was very, VERY young back when I was on
PBR and about half helpful and half an arrogant prick. Anyone who dealt with me didn't have a problem, but my reviews showed my arrogance. I'd pick up a gun for a few mins and review it, if it wasn't by a company I liked i'd slam it. I was a jerky little kid.

I'm about to graduate college now. My freshman year was my last year playing. I spend that summer playing for a (now defunct) team named NYSity, sponsored by Proto/Dye (Proto...which is dye...but only could use proto markers). I did love speed and air ball competitions, and I used a PM6 for the vast majority of the time.

I quit because of money. I became too much of a gunwhore and was always looking for high end markers at lower prices. I started with an ion and never got away from the desire to own "a true high end gun" that no one would question. I know now this was DUMB DUMB DUMB. But I ruined the game for myself doing it. I hated my PM6 because it was proto (and I didn't admit it but also impossible for me to tech and clean.) I hated the mid end markers I got because they were not Egos or Timmys or DMs (The top of the line back then).

The Pms are all gone. All I have left is
Stock Ion
Fully Upgraded Evil Pimp
Classic Automag
Kaos Pump

The plan is to trade the ion for some gear (mask, barrels for A/c threaded marker). I have put my Pimp up for trade, but unless someone offers an amazing phantom I'm not lettin him go. I love that marker, its fun an easy to use and shoots ropes.

I want to use my Pump as my main rec ball marker. I don't mind being outgunned, I will always be outgunned no matter what I use. I'm not trying to outgun those kids, I don't have the cash for paint like that. Instead I wanna work on my snap shooting, sneaking, my angles, my aim. So I wanna use pump against semis, does anyone do that here?

I'ma keep the mag for the times I get annoyed. When some 16 year old with a PM12 (like I used to be) bunkers me, the next match I grab my mag. When everyone is waiting for me to need to pump I put some ball on ball action on their mask lol, or not. I also prolly want to keep my PIMP. Leave it in the car for extreme examples of the same reason id use the mag. If I really felt speed would let me outmatch some noobs who were owning me with their semi's I'd use my Pimp. (May not be as pretty, as light, as consistent or as accurate as modern markers, its faster then most tho haha.

Any suggestions for getting back into the game pump style? Any suggestions on what to do in order to avoid getting to caught up in equipment and just keep playing the game?
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I play pump 99% of the time, against whatever anyone else is shooting, doesn't matter. I just find pump more enjoyable to play. I still take my other guns out from time to time, but my go to gun is a pump.

I don't think I'm outgunned when I play against mech's or electro's. Let them waste their paint until I take them out, just play how you feel comfortable.

Question though....why would you grab your Mag when you get bunkered or your Pimp for extreme examples? Getting bunkered should be a learning experience, not a vendetta. If you get bunkered, congratulate the guy afterwards and think about how to avoid the same situation, could be you hit the bunker and gave away your position, or your buttpack could be sticking out giving away your shooting position on the bunker. Getting hit shouldn't be about getting revenge by getting annoyed.

Over shooting with a high ROF is just wrong, and if someone does it to you, call them on it, if they are a prick about it, take it to the Ref. We play a sport where you get shot.

Back to Pump Play...just have fun playing, save your pennies and upgrade if you feel like you need to. Just play!
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.

Last edited by Jebus; 12-13-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Jebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
So I wanna use pump against semis, does anyone do that here?
That is just crazy talk. It will never work.

We are lucky to still be talking about paintball.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
May I suggest a GoG enemy. I think it's what you're looking for.
Crimson Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
I play pump 99% of the time, against whatever anyone else is shooting, doesn't matter. I just find pump more enjoyable to play. I still take my other guns out from time to time, but my go to gun is a pump.

I don't think I'm outgunned when I play against mech's or electro's. Let them waste their paint until I take them out, just play how you feel comfortable.

Question though....why would you grab your Mag when you get bunkered or your Pimp for extreme examples? Getting bunkered should be a learning experience, not a vendetta. If you get bunkered, congratulate the guy afterwards and think about how to avoid the same situation, could be you hit the bunker and gave away your position, or your buttpack could be sticking out giving away your shooting position on the bunker. Getting hit shouldn't be about getting revenge by getting annoyed.

Over shooting with a high ROF is just wrong, and if someone does it to you, call them on it, if they are a prick about it, take it to the Ref. We play a sport where you get shot.

Back to Pump Play...just have fun playing, save your pennies and upgrade if you feel like you need to. Just play!
I misspeak. Not bunkered as in effectively taken out in a bunker. Bunker as in Im f***** stuck in a goddarn bunker until they run out of paint. As in they will NEVER hit me, but they are not going to let me move until their pods and hopper at utterly empty. They will ensure that I can't not snap shoot back by effectively covering any unprotected area with paint.

I did not mean the proper bunkering, effectively taking me out from cover would be worth a high five, not a ramping marker as response.

What I've seen happen to pump players at my local field (woodsball, and its happened to me with my mag) is that younger trigger happy players find those of us with slower guns and enjoy making it hard to move. They don't play well enough to be hitting us, as thell shoot before we are in range, but once we find cover thats in range to shoot back, theyll just keep firing until someone on our team can take them out. It's like their trying to fire suppression but when no one is trying to move. These players don't focus on strategic outs but rather targets in large wooden bunkers that are easy to sprey at as a group. These bunkers will not allow paint through, they are wooden boards and I am on the other side pressed up against it, waiting for a lull to snap shoot. I would respect them if they shot me into the bunker, false lulled and blasted me when I tried to snap out, but they don't they just SHOOOT and SHOOOT and SHOOOOT and SHOOOT.

So in response I would want to grab a faster marker and be able to show them a proper bunker. A rope to get them into cover, and then carefully aim and wait till they pop out to return fire, and put one right on the googles. Haha, clearly this is a perfect situation and I'm not tryna say I'm able to do this consistently. I'm just sayin sometimes you gotta but the kids in their place by showing them we can ALL shoot ropes with high end electros (my Upgraded evil PIMp may be heavy, but boy is it fast and consistent, faster then my old PM7)

We used to practice in tee shirts (as i'm sure many do) I don't mind getting shot. Bonus balls are fine if I was a dick or something, I'd never tell a ref (and if you dish it ya gotta take it, so sorry but i'd do it back haha). No I don't mind getting shot or out by anyone, thats the sport. But get me OUT not stuck in a bunker.

Last edited by 99BPS; 12-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
May I suggest a GoG enemy. I think it's what you're looking for.
I am def picking one up once the ion is gone.
It would allow me to keep my mag in my bag as the perfect backup. and give me a speedball/airball marker that I would feel comfortable using in any rec game. My Pimp would still travel with me in the car, but mostly only find use for the rare walk on tourney that happens locally, or games with a vendetta haha.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Ahhh...ok, I see lol

Cheers!
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Get me out, shoot me as much as you want lol.
Thats the game I love.
I'm just not tryna spend 30 mins crouched in a wooden bunker listening to a hail of paintballs slam against the wood, while I try and add up the $$$ theve shot at me.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
abandoned SCPer

CCM Fan
I love playing pump speedball vs semis. The thing about being out gunned is that it makes and other facet of the game that much more important. What makes the game enjoyable for me is playing with people I know and using teamwork to overcome the odds. All other things being equal higher ROF is always an advantage. However a team of 5 pump players that practice together and know each other will almost always give a group of walk-on guys a very hard time.

Tl; dr
I find the team aspect of paintball and pump play to be the most satisfying
Penarol10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
thanks, thats good advice.

My plan for rec games was a five man team.

Myself (Azodin Kaos Pump)
My Brother (Classic Mag w/Double trigger)
Friend 1 (SC Phantom)
Friend 2 (XMag, crazy upgrades/ROF)
Friend 3 (2011 SP Impule, fully Upgraded)

Two of us have pumps, if we do a good job matching bore and getting a nice consistent set up we'll have decent accuracy (not necessarily better then anyone else, but at least as good as anyone else.) The classic mag does not have a high ROF but it's a solid, reliable marker then can get down and dirty. My brothers a good tenancies and FAST player so he can make major moves for us, the semi allows him to suppress as he moves a bit.

My friend has his phantom modded to accept first strikes (he can use either depending on set up of marker) and I think on fields we can use them, he could be our sniper. He has a full 14" freak kit for the phantom. The combination of first strikes, the phantom's constancy (he runs a tiny HPA tank when playing rec, i know not SC but normally is) and the barrel kit will allow him to have the BEST range and accuracy possible in paintball IMO. Before First Strikes I didn't think there could be "snipers" in paintball as they need such better accuracy and range, but FirstS allow that. FS out of a phantom will allow him to bunker players beyond our reach and help our movement and field position.

The X mag would be a suppression/Break shooting marker. Some of our local fields are like village style. So not speedball, but not woodsball either. In these you do need players with decent ROF to suppress positions. The perfect accuracy and constancy of the mag allows him to not only suppress when needed, but hold key positions and get key outs. Some of these fields are small enough to Break shoot, and he would be our man because of the nature of his marker.

The impulse would be our main suppression marker. He's play back and make sure we remained covered. I really like the 2011 pulse, I happen to think its a friggen awesome marker personally. It's fast, and a great size for a back player. He's got an All American kit for it, so it'll be shooting ropes. His presence in our group I think will allow us pump players to play strategically without worrying about being out gunned.

For speedball play we'd use the same markers, except I'm thinking about grabbing a GOG EMY. I don't want something super fast, but a reliable mech (pneumatic) single trigger w/ bolt out back fits the bill perfectly. My buddy with the VCS would run his open class set up, but he only plays pump and thats fine.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport