mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
It's all good

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
flame suiting up.

in my opinin, the GOG eNMEy costs $130 and shoots much better, and is lighter than any classic mag you'll find on the BST.

Justsayin
But the GardnerOnGardner line of products are just rehashed Fart Parts garbarge, the sworn eNMEy of Mag users worldwide.

Plus, it's plastic. Eww.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
flame suiting up.

in my opinin, the GOG eNMEy costs $130 and shoots much better, and is lighter than any classic mag you'll find on the BST.

Justsayin
The enemy is also proving to be very picky on lube/maintenance. Been a few reports of the lines to the three way splitting. Over lubing causing air leaks and shot drop off.

A mag simply just shoots very little goes wrong with them and a couple drops of oil in the ASA is most the maintenance you will ever need.

If my sisters eNMEy becomes an issue it's getting tossed in a gear bag and she can use my classic mag I have had since I bought it new in 1999. All it's ever needed was a couple detents and foamies. But it in 14 years has never failed to shoot a ball when I pulled the trigger.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mr. Superman no es here

To answer the original question, you have a few choices.
1) Look on the forums and buy one that has all the looks and upgrades you would want and if it's in your budget, buy it. The downside is that you would have bought someone else's project. If you don't mind it, go for it!

2) Buy a basic Mag, and upgrade the things you want later. In this case, you'll have the Mag in your hands and then you'll be able to figure out how to customize it to your taste. Be sure to get the "basics" correct though so you don't end up buying double parts, like getting a body with the feed neck that stands straight up, right or left, or getting a double trigger frame.

3) Literally build one yourself. You can find Mag bodies, parts, frames, and everything else sold individually. This is the ultimate in customization! However, you have to make sure the parts will work with each other. Kinda like building a computer, you can't just go throwing RAM in it and have the computer work.

A few extra things to think about:

-If you plan on running CO2, look for a mag with an expansion chamber.
-I don't personally recommend the steel braided line with quick disconnect just because I had a lot of issues with air leaking from the coupling.
-Get one with a feed neck that you will like. Mine had a right hand feed and it seemed I could never get the elbows tight enough to keep my hopper upright. I would have preferred a center feed neck.
-There are certain Mags that sell for more because they have stars on them, or matching numbers. This wouldn't really matter unless you want to "collect" your mag. If you want a Mag to go and play paintball with, paying more for these guns won't enhance your marker for play. It would be like having your favorite team's jersey to wear around at games or the house, and having the same jersey with a signature on it that you frame and keep on your wall. You're not gonna want to wear the signed jersey out and get it dirty.
-Mag's are great markers that remind it's users of what a quality object can do. Obviously they are still around because they are a solid piece of machine. Post pics when you get your Mag!
shootdraxxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootdraxxus View Post
-There are certain Mags that sell for more because they have stars on them, or matching numbers. This wouldn't really matter unless you want to "collect" your mag. If you want a Mag to go and play paintball with, paying more for these guns won't enhance your marker for play. It would be like having your favorite team's jersey to wear around at games or the house, and having the same jersey with a signature on it that you frame and keep on your wall. You're not gonna want to wear the signed jersey out and get it dirty.
The stars thing, sure. I've seen them advertised with so many stars like its important, but I've never really thought about paying anything more for them. But I would demand matching valve halves, unless I planned on using a different reg back (such as a Hurricane Labs back). I don't see valves selling for more because of the matching numbers, because the vast majority for sale in the BST do have matching numbers, but I have seen some sell for a few bucks less or take longer to sell if the valve halves aren't an original match.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

^^

This.

No one in the know is going to be impressed by any valve having any number of stars on it, unless there is something else about it that renders it particularly rare or desirable for that particular buyer. Nor will they be impressed by 'matching numbers'.

You may as well be impressed by a car sale that advertises: "Check out this SUPER-RARE find! Comes with ALL FOUR WHEELS!"

On the other hand, the lack of matching numbers is almost certainly going to drop the price.

For the classic-style valves, the reverse valves and especially the centerfire minimag valves are going to command more money, but it really depends on the buyer.

Some folk will boot stomp a pack of wild grannies to get a pre-star classic valve, while others will punch a baby in the face to get a rental valve.

But either way, it's personal preference, and as shootdraxxus has noted, the valve candy isn't going to help your game. Possibly it might hurt it, if you are worried about getting your mag all dirty, and so hold back.

But again, we are talking mags here. You will have to invest serious time and capital if you want to hurt one. Can't say the same for most other markers, certainly not those made of plastic.

Ahem.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
I think the passion and number of posts in this thread shows how devoted and fanatical 'mag fans are.

JOIN THE HORDE!

Jaccen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #27 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I have owned a slew of mags and I like a classic the best. It also helps that they are the cheapest valves to get.

They always shoot great and nothing ever goes wrong with them. I think they feel better to shoot then the various RT Valves.

I am currently sporting a classic with a powerfeed body, CP barrel, Level10 and intelliframe. Put the whole thing together cheap and clean. For the money there is nothing that shoots better. I own a lot of guns and this one gets a disproportionate amount of play.

Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Dune reference here

My first mag was a '91 according to AO. I've since whored it off. I sometimes pine and whine about losing it. It was the best shooting marker I have ever had the joy of owning.

Also, no smart parts upgrades please. Clearly those Gardner bros. rep the dark side ie: magic box.
We'd fire no junk, shed no tears
Now I have a broken eliminator on Halifax pier, the last of USI's privateers
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
El Super Beasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Okay, actually have to tap the brakes on the post above.

I actually worked for SP in the 90s, specifically in the R&D that ultimately led to the Magic Box (registered trademark).

A lot of people have a lot of misunderstandings about it, and I recognize there's a lot of hate for SP here on MCB, but having worked on it directly, I can tell you it was a highly technological advance. Amazing technology. I'm still under contract that prohibits me from telling anyone what was in the box, but rest assured, it was out of this world.

Now, I'm not saying that it was alien technology or anything, but I'm also NOT not saying it was alien technology. That's all I'm going to say.

And probably even if I did explain the technology, most of your primitive minds wouldn't understand it anyway. There were a lot of scientific principles involved, a lot of space-aged alloys, and polymers, and molecular chemicals, and stuff.

And some other stuff I can't tell you about.

Just trust me, okay?

It was a real breakthrough, and you haters never fully appreciated it.

Disclosure: If you believed a word of the above, then probably you purchased SP products based purely on marketing hype, and not because you actually liked them, the latter of which is perfectly fine, the former, not so much.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear View Post
The enemy is also proving to be very picky on lube/maintenance. Been a few reports of the lines to the three way splitting. Over lubing causing air leaks and shot drop off.

A mag simply just shoots very little goes wrong with them and a couple drops of oil in the ASA is most the maintenance you will ever need.

If my sisters eNMEy becomes an issue it's getting tossed in a gear bag and she can use my classic mag I have had since I bought it new in 1999. All it's ever needed was a couple detents and foamies. But it in 14 years has never failed to shoot a ball when I pulled the trigger.
Lube the engine with Dow33 before you go out to play, service the reg every 10 - 20 cases. If you need to swap hoses always replace them after. There is more to an eNMey than an automag in terms of maintenance, but not much.

Granted, I'm biased, and not a fan of Tom Kaye.

The Gardners are still involved, still supporting leagues, and getting new players into the sport. Tom Kaye.. well he's made mag enthusiasts pay $3000 to keep their website online in between trips to find D.B. Cooper.

I forgot where I was posting for a moment, carry on.

Last edited by Cottontail; 01-16-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Cottontail is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport