mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #51 (permalink)
MCB Member

CO2 from welding shops usually gets you some nice black particulate residue. CO2 from beverage canisters can be clean if they were filled for beverages and not at the welding shop. When you turn them upside down, you'll find out for sure. I've had black spooge at some point in every CO2 marker I've ever had, mag or not.

There's usually a long line of compressors, storage and transport for liquid CO2, so there's a few spots to pick up stuff. When you get dirt out of the local field HPA compressor, that compressor will have trouble soon and so will the field.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #52 (permalink)
uncanny

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootdraxxus View Post
Chuck Norris uses an Automag Classic for big game hunting. He's never had an issue.
I thought Chuck Norris could just spit paintballs at his prey and kill them with 1 shot.

mcb feedback
Customcockers.com feedback
Mostly mechanical autocockers
paintballedbackin88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #53 (permalink)

What about a 68 classic?They seem fairly common and cheap.But then again,they seem fairly common and cheap
paintballguy2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
uncanny

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballguy2255 View Post
What about a 68 classic?They seem fairly common and cheap.But then again,they seem fairly common and cheap
That is because they are common and cheap. That shouldn't suggest that they're unreliable though. I've got 2 68 classics and they're solid for some recball/woodsball.

Excellent used value, considering the quality and availability of parts. I'm new to mags, but they're now my second favorite mechs behind autocockers. Really, the only 2 mech semis that I shoot.

mcb feedback
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #55 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballguy2255 View Post
As noted before, get the classic. They are fairly common because they were well made, and hence, most of them are still around after 20+ years. And they are fairly inexpensive because many of them were made and hence, because they were well made, most of them are still around after 20+ years. But there is nothing, and I mean nothing, pertaining to the automag that can ever, under any circumstances, in any universe, be considered 'cheap'.

Parts that on other markers would be plastic, or aluminum, or at best brass, are stainless steel on the classic. The entire body is stainless. The entire valve is stainless, etc. The rail, which is just a placeholder, is made of aluminum, though it is so well designed it could be made of balsa wood and still function. Even the second-generation single-trigger grip frames, which are often regarded by the ill-informed as 'plastic', are carbon fiber. They are insanely tough and durable. You will never break one unless you exert tremendous prejudicial force against it with power tools, or hand tools like saws, chisels, etc. A sledgehammer would not wake it from an afternoon nap.

I think the vehemence coming from those of us who are owners should be some indication about how excited we are about the quality of the mag. We have no motivation to deceive you. We aren't payed for our endorsements. But a lot of us have been playing for a long, long time, and we've seen what's out there, and we still come back to the mag. And it isn't because we started with them, and have nostalgia. I've been playing 22 years now, and I got my first mag less than two years ago. I've owned and played with a number of markers, from low-end pumps to high-end electros, and the mag is hands-down my favorite.

The maintenance schedule is basically nil, because the only thing that can fail (seldom) is usually a seal. You never have to rebuild anything, or time anything, or any of it. Only the higher end upgrades like the L10 bolt or the ULT trigger need tuning, but that is a one-time deal, and simple to do.

A little oil is good, but you don't need much. Of course, the nice thing is that you almost can't screw it up. If you don't oil it, it will work fine. If you do oil it, it will work fine. If you happen to be running, and trip, and go flying through the air with a bottle of oil and it all spills into the marker, it will work just fine.

AGD took the time to actually think the whole marker through from top to bottom. Nothing is needlessly complicated, or oddball. The seals are all standard sizes, absolutely dirt common. So long as the earth keeps turning and humans continue using standard seals, you will be able to keep your mag running like a champ.

They are made to be simple and reliable. As noted before, I think autocockers are marvelous. Beautiful. But all that complicated gorgeousness means timing and tuning and temper tantrums and sit-down strikes, as you have indicated. The mag is one of the few markers that can be run hard in rain and mud, be put away wet and filthy for ten years, gather a layer of surface rust and all manner of crud and nastiness, and yet it will still permit itself to be gassed up and will fire a ball every time you pull the trigger.

I know this because this was the condition of my first mag when I got it.

It was an eBay sale and I was livid when it came. And because I knew next to nothing about them I took it to an airsmith who specializes in mags and cockers, just to have a witness to the whole debacle. He said he'd never seen anything like it in his life. So as a final proof of how bad the thing was before shipping it back and lodging a complaint, I gassed it up, and nothing happened. No leaks.

I pulled the trigger.

THUMP.

THUMP THUMP THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP.

After all that time it cycled perfectly, and still cycles perfectly. She's cleaned up now, of course, and it was an easy job, again, because she's stainless, so a quick wipe down and minor scrubbing with a kitchen pad (like your stainless cookware) is all it took to make her shiny and beautiful again.

There are more complicated and expensive versions, like the RT, X, E, etc., which recharge and cycle faster and are made of aluminum for lightness and have some different features, but all were built to last.

The only real issue is trigger control. Because the sear returns pneumatically, you have to fully release the trigger so as not to short-stroke it. But if you are used to 'cockers, you should be well trained indeed. The mag got a bad rap early on for being a paint blender. But this was more an indictment against the operators than the machine itself. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many chops I've gotten from a level 7 bolt.

So get the classic, and be confident. Numerous fields have used them as rentals (and some still do), because they work, and work, and work, and work . . .

Cheers, and let us know how it goes.

And of course, if you don't like it, someone here will gladly take it off your hands, so no real risk involved.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Menace; 01-19-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #56 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
And of course, if you don't like it, someone here will gladly take it off your hands, so no real risk involved.
This can't be overstated, really. Buy a classic and use it for a weekend of play. If you don't like it, sell it on Monday for the same price you bought it for. You may lose a couple bucks on shipping, but that's even cheaper than renting.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #57 (permalink)
uncanny

AKA Fan
I bought my first classic with a venturi bolt, dye barrel, left powerfeed body, vert asa, stock frame, drop forward and asa with steel braided line, 70/3000 steel tank, and tacamo loader for $80 bucks locally. There are some good deals out there for classics.

mcb feedback
Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #58 (permalink)

Menace,I meant cheap price wise.I see them on eBay for about $100,whic is below my target price.And I am going with a 68 classic,because it seems they are abundant on here,and I will probably mess with something due to my cocker past and screw it up.Also,is there a specific type of propellant that is necessary?(co2 or HPA)
paintballguy2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #59 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
I don't think you'd be disappointed with a classic mag. The only chops I've ever had in my gun have been my fault from either short stroking or shooting too fast with a gravity hopper.

Classics can run off CO2 with some precautionary measures but anything else needs HPA.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #60 (permalink)
MCB Member

The notorious M C Brown uses on for moose hunting, other than cleaning the blood and hair of the bottom of the grip after hitting the moose over the head, he has no issues either.

(the "I've always been afraid to ask" thread is habit forming)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport