mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

New (Again) to paintball

I'm very happy to be a part of this forum and of the general paintball community again after a very long hiatus....

I "discovered" paintball in 1989 via an issue of Paintball Sports magazine that I probably still have somewhere. I started playing in SE Michigan in 1991 at the age of 13, and ate/slept/dreamed paintball daily until the late 90s, when college/beer/girls took over my time. I used to play mostly at Lone Wolf in Almont, MI and Splatball City in the old Packard plant in glorious decaying Detroit (as well as LOTS of outlaw & backyard play). I used to ref at Lone Wolf on Saturdays and play for free on Sundays, so if anyone here worked there or played there regularly from 92-95 I'd love to hear from you.

I've lived in Phoenix for 10 years, and a few weekends ago got dragged out to play at Cowtown with my boss and his son. I was instantly re-hooked, and went out and bought some new modern gear and have been trying to play every weekend since. The tech has changed a LOT in my absence....I started playing when the 68 Special was the king of the field, and ended up being an Automag guy (which I still have and have lots of tech questions about getting it up & running....). I picked up an Empire Axe LE PDD and am amazed how smooth and fast it is, but I still have a soft-spot for all the vintage guns I longed for in my youth (and which I'll probably buy several of from the forum here...)

Anyways, sorry to be long-winded....but it's a rare rainy day here in Phx and I can't wait to get out tomorrow and check out a new field in Marana AZ (Disruptive Paintball). Looking forward to learning from and contributing to the discussions here.
accatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Welcome back accatone!

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
you'll find plenty of people playing with those some mags here, and tons of help to get your running again. Welcome back
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accatone View Post
I still have a soft-spot for all the vintage guns I longed for in my youth (and which I'll probably buy several of from the forum here...).
This is how this place got started!
Welcome, and hang on to your wallet!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
DonkeyPunchTheNightAway

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
This is how this place got started!
Welcome, and hang on to your wallet!

Yes HIDE YOUR WALLET! And welcome back. I know I stalked around paintball for 10 years and finally got back into it dec 2011... and my wallet hates me for it, but couldn't be more happier..

Oh and automags.. I have a love for them too. The guys in the Airgun Designs area are EXTREMELY helpful. Just drop your post there and they will be more then happy to help. To get you helped out a bit ansgear.com (aka anusgear) has automag seal kits for pretty cheap.

Last edited by Acidpaintball; 01-26-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hesperia,ca

Hit up needs4reebs his an Arizona mag horder
river031403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

already bought a PMI Pirahna LB off a member here!
It's one of the guns I saw in paintball mags in the late 80s that just has a classic look to it that I always wanted. First gun I ever shot was a PGP at Hell's Survivors in Pinckney, MI. First time I ever played was with a SL-68 at some field in Atlas MI. Those are on my shopping list too......

ETA: River, love your avatar. Great flick.
accatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Welcome back. I hadn't played in about 10 years and recently started up again. I bought an impulse because it was old school, then I bought a mini (basically, the small axe) and then sold it off the first day I played with it. I then purchased an Automag..

Rock that old 'mag like a champ!
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Plenty of Automag guys around here...I just accumulated some more parts a week ago to assemble a third Classic-valved 'Mag. I have a love of Automags that just can't be fulfilled seemingly. However, the love of Automags often turns into some degree of obsession!

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. I have become pretty good at trouble shooting the classic valve with L7 b!olt...still a beginner on L10 tech-ing.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I upgraded all of my mags to play against uncapped timmies around 2005/6, then lowered the rates on a couple to 15 bps, and now I'm building a plain classic-mag to have a mag slow enough to play under 13 bps without questions or a pump. My other classic does better than 14 bps (EP). With a little luck, I'll have this one hitting 10 bps regularly.

With HPA on most fields, weight is about the only possible complaint on a classic mag. You missed some fun but rather expensive RT play days.

You'll see a lot of pump players around here, and some damn nice pump markers, whatever your preference.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport