mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   New To The Sport (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/)
-   -   New Member? Welcome to Mcarterbrown! (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/226373-new-member-welcome-mcarterbrown.html)

woouulf 02-15-2013 10:59 AM

New Member? Welcome to Mcarterbrown!

I think some of you new guys might find this helpfull ..
A little lesson on buy/sell etiquette
posted by Dave Cameron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if I'm just cranky because I haven't been able to play paintball outside for several months, but in the past few weeks I've been really bothered by the lack of courtesy I've been seeing in our Buy/Sell forums.

I love the sales forums here. It's really the only place I buy other than ebay. There are good rules that are fairly enforced and most people conduct themselves in a professional manner. Sure, new folks show up occasionally and are unaware of the rules and culture here. In the interest of helping some of our newer (and a few of our older ) members, I thought I'd put up a list of things that aren't quite against the rules, but are poor form and, well, a little rude.

Don't try to use creative methods to get around the rules. For example, one of our rules here is that you must post a price for items for sale. Fishing for the highest price is expressly forbidden. Posting $1000 OBO for your stock tippman A-5 is an obvious attempt to circumvent the rules. Post a reasonable price. If you don't know what to ask, there is an "ask the experts" forum where you can get help.

If somebody posts a price that seems too high to you, it's not your job to point it out to them. Sure, they may be violating point #1 above. Maybe they really think the item is worth the price they listed. Hell, maybe you're wrong and somebody will pay their price. If you really are just trying to help them out, send them a PM with your estimate on the item's value. They'll either modify their asking price or ignore you. It's their item and they can ask whatever they want. Most folks on here are pretty knowledgeable about marker values, and are not going to get ripped off.

If you are interested in buying an item, PM the seller. I cannot understand why someone would post "I'm interested, PM me." If you're interested enough to buy, surely you can take a moment to send a PM. And while we're on the subject, "Interested, PM me your lowest price" is even ruder. They posted a price. If you feel that you don't like that price, it's up to you to make an offer. The civilized way of negotiating is offer-counteroffer. The seller offered the item at a price per the rules. If you're afraid of offering too much, a PM'd lowball offer is much less insulting than a posted "PM Lowest price"

I'm sure there are more, but those are the three that have been bothering me most. I'm sure that the worst offenders will never read this, just as they never read the rules. I just wanted to get this off my chest. thanks for playing along!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by CJOttawa; 10-21-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Last edited by woouulf; 02-12-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Melvin 02-17-2013 01:38 AM

If you can't handle more than two sentences, don't bother.

Just want to say something.

All things considered, I did not join this site that long ago, and all of my transactions to date have gone very smoothly, All using money orders as form of payment. (All purchases, as I have nothing I want to sell) Even with (my) life getting in the way.

Maybe I can chalk it up to good luck, maybe it's all thanks to reading comprehension and the ability to pick people of good character, either way, I have no regrets and will continue to use MCB as a site, either for purchases, or as site to decide which company to purchase things from.
Even as a site to b.s. with people I might never meet in person.

Even with all my time spent on VERY specific/eclectic car forums,(I can be a huge auto-nerd in some situations), I have never encountered a group of people where I would so willingly send something so untraceable as a money order to in order to receive something I can't even prove exists.

Take what I've typed how ever you want, but believe me when I say this, MCB is literally the most honest website I have ever encountered in the past 14 years.

I'm sorry if my post went off topic, but I wanted to express my opinion on dealing with people on this website

woouulf 05-09-2013 01:07 AM

BUMP!

heinous 05-09-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woouulf (Post 2704270)
BUMP!

someone rustled your jimmies?

woouulf 05-09-2013 11:14 AM

Sorta. Its just good guide for some of the new and old members on conduct in the B/S/T .. I think at the time i joind it was posted in the B/S/T rules section and i thought that it and posts like it was what made this site a cut above the rest..

bigbthebenji 05-09-2013 02:42 PM

Love this site