mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Purchased Hammer 7 for my first gun, and need to know proper etiquette!

-Hammer 7 a good choice? I want to create great accuracy, thats most important to me, any recommendations on specific upgrades?

-What is a good brand or type of paintballs I should purchase? With quality first and budget a close second, what would be a good source of ammunition? Could I get something at Big 5, Walmart, or a local sporting goods store, or should I order off the internet?

-^^^ same question as above but with co2 and/or gas sources... Whats a good brand and best bang for my buck? Where do I get my tanks filled? With my Hammer 7, what size tank should I purchase?

-Anything I should know before I visit the local field for my first time? Outside of goggles and gloves, any other gear thats a must have?

thanks for reading and I appreciate all replies!
SluggoSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Took my advice I see,welcome to MCB and paintball!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher068 View Post
Took my advice I see,welcome to MCB and paintball!
yes I did, thank you very much! Means alot.

Additionally, does anyone know where I can purchase a similar silencer of some sort, and a bottom grip stock like in this picture below?

SluggoSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Modder at heart

Get whatever brand your local field provides. I would stay away from big stores. Even the good paint sits on the shelves for a while.

Stay away from co-2. Go with HPA. The hammer is unregulated, so it will benefit from a HPA since its a reg'd air source. Ninja is the best choice.

Just go visit your field and people will help you. Its all part of the experience. Have fun, learn a few things, and meet new people.

I can go on and on about what you need to do and learn, but it is best learned through experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoSteel View Post
-Hammer 7 a good choice? I want to create great accuracy, thats most important to me, any recommendations on specific upgrades?

-What is a good brand or type of paintballs I should purchase? With quality first and budget a close second, what would be a good source of ammunition? Could I get something at Big 5, Walmart, or a local sporting goods store, or should I order off the internet?

-^^^ same question as above but with co2 and/or gas sources... Whats a good brand and best bang for my buck? Where do I get my tanks filled? With my Hammer 7, what size tank should I purchase?

-Anything I should know before I visit the local field for my first time? Outside of goggles and gloves, any other gear thats a must have?

Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Quote:
Do not buy paint from any of the stores you listed. Their stuff has been sitting in shipping containers for who-knows-how-long, and the brands they carry are subpar. A lot of fields specifically don't allow paint bought in these places. Stick to buying from PB shops or the internet.
As for specific brands, I've been extremely happy shooting Valken Graffiti for the last few months. Their Redemption is also good, and their Fate is VERY nice for the low price.

Quote:
co2 and/or gas sources
HPA is better than CO2, especially if you live in an area that actually has winter that feels like winter. HOWEVER, the Hammer7 requires high pressure to get up to appropriate chrono, so make sure that whatever HPA tank you get outputs around 800psi. Otherwise, you'll have to mess with your springs in order to make it shoot right.

*EDIT*
WHAT!? There are orange Hammers!? Dammit...now I'm going to have to buy one.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was going to mention the High Press bit, but with respect to paint you buy. I shoot Empire Premium of late and its a nice compromise between quality and price for any high press marker. The stock you see in the pic I think is a Lapco stock/setup. Google LAPCO and you should see it. I would be using a much bigger tank though if your going to run a hopper and not mags. The 13 ci is great for mag play, but inadequate for hopper play. As someone else has said, go to a field and have fun, meet new players/friends... everyone will want to try your new Hammer, good chance for you to try other markers too !
ruraldawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
play with the gun first...

Quote:
Could I get something at Big 5, Walmart, or a local sporting goods store, or should I order off the internet?
no! NO! Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

go to a local paintball pro shop if there is one. barring that, buy the field paint. generic chain store clerks mostly don't know how to take care of their stock. the pro shop clerks should be able to set you up. if they're knowledgeable, tell them you'll be using a pump and want a decent sized paint that won't roll out your barrel.

Quote:
pretty much all the same. high pressure air is better. go to your field first and rent a tank, at the same time see if they have hpa refills, this way you know your field supports which air source. good fields provide both co2 and hpa if you're lucky.

Quote:

barrel bag. have 2, you're bound to lose/loan them out sooner or later. play smart: it's a pump gun you're not likely to win any direct fire fights against any fancy guns on your first day. keep unnecessary body parts behind cover, don't hide at a bunker that already has a teammate, and be sneaky when you can.

Last edited by heinous; 02-27-2013 at 06:01 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Banned Kerry

AKA Fan
BUY A GOOD MASK!
Especially before you spend money on "upgrades" or whatever, seeing people will help much more. Fogging sucks man

Black Chrome T8, CCM S5, Invert Mini I, Invert Mini II, Y-framed Minimag
Feedback.
Author of Useful Resources For Tiberius Owners.
Mr.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smith View Post
BUY A GOOD MASK!
Especially before you spend money on "upgrades" or whatever, seeing people will help much more. Fogging sucks man
I concur. A good mask is better then any upgrade for your marker you could ever buy. Try on masks at your local field/pro shops, or ask guys if you can try there mask on for a game or two. As stated above fogging sucks and so does an uncomfortable mask.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Much of the above is good advice, so to echo:

1. Get the best fitting, most comfortable thermal-lensed mask you can buy. It doesn't have to be the most expensive. I've tried nearly every mask made in recent history, and have owned a number of the highest-priced ones. High price does not equal good for you. You want something that:

Will not fog (get a dual-paned thermal lens)
Affords good peripheral vision
Fits your face snugly and comfortably
Allows you to breath and speak freely
Allows you to hear clearly

I've bolded 'you' because you cannot take anyone else's word for any mask. Stick it on your face. Now talk. Breathe. Do you sound like Darth Vader to yourself? Try on more. Do jumping jacks. Bang your head. Look around. Flick your ears. Too loud? Try more. Go back to the first ones and repeat. The mask is THE most important piece of equipment you will ever own. Get one you are happy with, and not the one that makes you look the coolest. You look cool when you win, not when you aren't having a good time because you can't see, or hear, or breath, or communicate.

2. Go with HPA if you can afford it. Ninja is dandy.

3. ALWAYS buy the best paint you can afford. As you are new, you will either have to trust us, or learn the hard way. Your marker will shoot only as good as the paint you put through it. You asked for accuracy, and good paint is arguably the most important piece of that equation. As of now, Valken Graffiti is a fine paint, and won't kill your wallet. There are plenty of others, but never, ever skimp on paint. And absolutely never buy from a chain store.

If Walmart starts carrying Graffiti, or whatever other brands you see recommended here in this thread, don't buy it there. Get it from a dedicated paintball supplier/pro shop. Trust us.

4. Get a good loader. You do not need to get the most expensive. There are two kinds, and two sub-kinds. (a) motorized and (b) non-motorized. If you go with non-motorized, get a Proto Primo for high volume and a Sport shot for smaller volume. Don't argue.

If you go motorized, there are more choices: (i) agitated/gravity and (ii) impelled/forced. If you go with the former, get a used Viewloader Revolution, aka the 'Revvy'. If you go with the latter, a fine choice is the Invert Too.

If you are playing pump, a gravity loader will be more than sufficient for now.

5. Your marker should come with a barrel bag. Take Heinous' advice and get another.

6. Treat yourself to some good quality knee pads. Happy knees make a happy player, and a long career as a happy player. Volleyball pads are fine, and inexpensive, as are rollerblading pads.

7. Get good, comfy, supportive footwear.

You can always upgrade all this later, and get more, but you need a good base to start from, and this should get you started.

Oh, yes. Listen to Heinous and try the marker out before you buy, if possible. Like the mask, this is something you need to know for yourself. Since you are new, it probably isn't as important, since you have nothing to compare it to, but a little familiarity goes a long way toward enjoyment.

All the best, and welcome.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Menace; 02-27-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport