mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Hopper Talk

Hey, So I'm not new to the sport, but getting back into PSP play this summer after a long time out. I've been using a JT sound activated hopper for practice, it's slow and inconsistent but gets the job done for practice. I don't need a Spire, and don't really wanna buy a rotar. I'm looking for advice on which of the older hoppers I should keep my eye out for.

Back when I played for a Proto team, we shot Halo2s, which worked fine, but are kinda big and heavy. I'm thinking one of the newer Halo's used, or a VLocity, but honestly I've mostly used Revi's. The Halo was the only "high end loader" (or forcefeed) I've ever used. I just need something that can keep up with PSP 3 shot (11bps cap), and can be found used for like 40-60.

I'm shooting a DP Threshold for the season, so even if the hopper ends up being kinda heavy, my set up should be nice and light. I know this is a subjective question, and did read a lot about the hoppers before asking, but personal experience means a lot. I'm wondering what high end hoppers besides the >85$ ones people find easy to use, fast enough, and well made.

Dust Red/Chrome Evil Pimp Kit
Evil Detonator HPR, Machette On/Off, Stock Trigger w/ Spring, Matrix Detent Mod/Detents, Kila Eye Covers, Kila Grips, Chrome Evil Smokestack

Dangerous Power Dark Earth Threshold- Black CP HPR
AGD Classic Mag - Intelliframe, Benchmark rail/forgrip, Shocktech drop/ASA.
Azodin KP2 2011 - Stock

Barrels
A/C - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), Lucker .678, CP .691 (Dust Black). Bob Long Assasins .689
Impulse - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), 14inch Pipe (Dust Black/Silver), Redz Pepperstick .689
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Well, you killed the top two hoppers that most people use.

Get one of the newer halos/empire prophecy, maybe a DXS pulse, or a cheap pinokio.

I would highly recommend a rotor, you can usually pick one up for $100-125.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Radical!

I picked up a used rotor a couple years ago, haven't bought a loader since. I find it difficult to rule out... well, except your budget is $60 max for used. Mine came with a used marker, the seller almost gave it way for the price so i got lucky, probably the only way i would have ever owned a rotor.

Newer Halos & their variants will be just as heavy as the Halo Toos you used before, and those are really your only options unless your budget were raised. Used Vlocitys if you can still find em.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jam

Buy a used rotor. You won't regret it.
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
the vlocity is a great loader for the price. I have had mine for years, works great and can't be outshot.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Vlocity at that price point

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
psunitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Thank you, I hear what people are saying about the rotar, but unless I come into a major deal that's just not happening right now. I'm just not in the position to drop twice as much on a loader. I'm a senior in college applying to grad school in the fall, I'm playing for a team this summer, but i'm still on a very tight budget.

I'm thinking Vlocity or Pulse from what people are saying.
The fields/events were playing at all cap at 12bps, so i'm thinking most decent loaders will keep up with that.

Dust Red/Chrome Evil Pimp Kit
Evil Detonator HPR, Machette On/Off, Stock Trigger w/ Spring, Matrix Detent Mod/Detents, Kila Eye Covers, Kila Grips, Chrome Evil Smokestack

Dangerous Power Dark Earth Threshold- Black CP HPR
AGD Classic Mag - Intelliframe, Benchmark rail/forgrip, Shocktech drop/ASA.
Azodin KP2 2011 - Stock

Barrels
A/C - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), Lucker .678, CP .691 (Dust Black). Bob Long Assasins .689
Impulse - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), 14inch Pipe (Dust Black/Silver), Redz Pepperstick .689
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
Thank you, I hear what people are saying about the rotar, but unless I come into a major deal that's just not happening right now. I'm just not in the position to drop twice as much on a loader. I'm a senior in college applying to grad school in the fall, I'm playing for a team this summer, but i'm still on a very tight budget.

I'm thinking Vlocity or Pulse from what people are saying.
The fields/events were playing at all cap at 12bps, so i'm thinking most decent loaders will keep up with that.
I realize financial situations differ but be realistic.

If you expect to be competitive, handicapping yourself (and your teammates) over $40 is silly. I'm guessing this team has no sponsors, so expect to pay 2x that every weekend.

Make sacrifices. Eat Top Ramen for a week and buy a Rotor.

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_10 View Post
Make sacrifices. Eat Top Ramen for a week and buy a Rotor.
I have had my Rotor since the hit the market and I prefer it to my Halo.

I personally steer clear of DXS pulses. Working in the shop I have seen alot of broken shells from someone diving the wrong way.

If you can find one, get a Torque. Yes the run all the damn time and hold less paint but as long as your are turning it off between games (to save the batteries) it will work well for you. My old one kept up with my 06 ego at a 25bps ramp. Beware they like fresh batteries
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

Yea rotors = $80+, and spires are way up there in cost. I've found that magnas, halos (except for those friggin toos), and v1 or v2 prophecys can keep up with my electros. Not only that you can obtain them for $20-70 used
hth is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport