mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hey guys thanks for all the help I think that I will look for a phantom, would this be a good deal to jump on because if I wanted I could covert to open or keep it stock
F/S VSC Phantom package with 45 frame and a TON of extras!!
cpxballer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

That is a solid deal and a good looking marker. That is everything you want but the openclass feed neck. I would immediately order the open class feedneck and a 100 rd hopper. You may want to ask if the tank is out of date or not. Some fields do not follow the 2x2 never expires rule.
Only other option to consider is the rainman undercocking kit.
I think that is a great looking marker for a fair to great price.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Yeah, it's not a bad deal, but check on the difference of the Titus marker plus what it would cost to buy the extra parts, versus the silver one. Black parts are the easiest to get ahold of aftermarket. Of course if you prefer silver then have at it.
Feedback
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Titus marker is gone... I don't remember it having vert air or a stock? Those options are over $100.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

If you want to start cheap, I highly recommend the older Kingman Hammer guns. They're Nelson-style and have brass guts. Polish the brass and those guns are smooth as all get out. Best part is, they use Spyder barrels. I run my Freak with it. And it only cost me about $80 (metal trigger frame version, too!) I love the hell out of this gun.

Otherwise, you can't go won't with a Phantom.
brokeass_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
You can also get an SL-68II from Tippmann for something like $99 now, brand spanking new. I haven't ever played with one, but with a Nelson design and Tippmann manufacture it's hard to imagine how that could be screwed up.
This, so much this. The SL is a great, low maintenance, cheap open class pump to cut your teeth on. The SL is a heavy clunky Nelson pump which, if you can get good with, will teach you what you want out of a high value pump gun. I know some players that got into pump with this gun and after years still just use it. Regardless, if you can take the hard knocks of getting into pump play the SL will always be in your gear bag no matter what you end up with.

I rocked the SL for about 3 years and then decided to get into Sheridan valve guns like the KP2/3 and Palmer's guns. The money I saved playing pump helped me afford those guns .

SL 68II tips:

There is a difference between the Gen1 and Gen2's, read up on it, though the differences are minor the new Gen2's guarantee internals that are in better shape. You can find some Gen1 gems out there, but just go for the Gen2.

C02 and HPA work on these guns, C02 fires quieter from my experience.

The gun has no detents, however a custom brass Palmer's barrel with widgets can be AMAZING on this cheap pump. $100 for an SL plus $65-$100 Palmer's barrel puts you right in the Phantom range, IMO worth it.

100rnd. Extreme Rage hoppers are the way to go, don't piss with the 50rnd junk on the market.

Maybe I'm a bit biased and nostalgic, but the SL is the gun that got me into pump play; the thing is damned near bulletproof, and if after a few games you decide you hate pump play you can usually get what you paid for it if you paid under $100. The Empire Sniper and CCM guns are also amazing at a higher price point, but they're center feed guns and honestly I don't get the point of non-iron sights on a pump gun....you don't play pump to shoot fast, you do it to shoot accurately. (queue the flames).
C4 Explosives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Well, another angle, I picked up a Line SI Bushmaster and it's smaller brother the Skirmish SI on Craig's List yesterday. So that's another way to go about it
Feedback
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I just looked around a bunch of sites for the SL68 and it was not stocked in a single one. It is also missing from Tippmann's website. Did they discontinue it (again)?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Sniper Lifer - 68

Even if the SL was discontinued - they're out there and they never die. We use them as loaners for people who want to up their game and play pump. Mildly ashamed to admit it - but I played a year with a phantom and went back to my SL. The open breech lets you positively see you have chambered a paintball. It's bullet-proof, and works in any conditions.
WFW
wetfootwilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I just looked around a bunch of sites for the SL68 and it was not stocked in a single one. It is also missing from Tippmann's website. Did they discontinue it (again)?
Ah yes, I believe that they may have discontinued it. I have opinions on the Gen2 SL not only as a paintballer, but also has a product designer. I don't know all of the Tippmann internal specifics as to what motivated them to re-release and then discontinue the SL, but I can say that for the re-release since they had to mod or create a new die casting tool for the Gen2 receiver and pump handle; not inexpensive investments, it was a lacklustre release. That being the case I think that they aimed rather low. The new receiver is more ergonomic with the ASA being lowered and the pump handle has the Tippmann logo molded into it, but I would liked to have seen them mod the receiver to accepted AR grips like the SL-68I and changed the sight rail to the larger weaver rail for modern accessories. The pump handle could have also had weaver rails molded into it to accept modern accessories....a tactical fore-grip comes to mind (although I hate those for firing from prone). The receiver for that matter could have been redesigned to more resemble a pistol grip shotgun...The Empire Trracer accommodated many of these kinds of features with its re-release, but I didn't feel that it was of the level of quality of the SL; felt wimpy and plastiky.

Anyways, maybe out of boredom i'll design an SL-68III and kick it to Tippmann for giggles, but in the meantime I still say that the SL-68II Gen2 is a great nod to the original and with a good barrel (Palmers) is a solid starter/intermediate pump platform. These guns are really hard to kill and they have very few internal components which are easily replaceable. Also didn't mention that in the rare case of a paint break they can be swabbed very easily with a rubber swab without having to strip anything from the gun, can't do that with a trracer/phantom.
C4 Explosives is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport