mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   New To The Sport (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/)
-   -   Best way to get a used Nelson based open class pump (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/229594-best-way-get-used-nelson-based-open-class-pump.html)

cpxballer9 03-24-2013 12:33 PM

Best way to get a used Nelson based open class pump

I have been playing semi for a few years and want to try out pump. I am looking to buy used but not any time soon maybe in the next few months. I am completely new to pump and only know a few things (like Nelson, sniper, open, and stock class.) So if you guys have any suggestions on we're to by and what to buy I would very much appreciate it.

sniper97 03-24-2013 01:42 PM

Nelson is pretty much a single tube, valve, hammer, bolt line up in the tube. Think phantom.

Sheridans have the valve & hammer in the lower tube and the bolt sits in the top tube. Think sniper.

For open class, I would go with a S6, a used one is $400-$450, more with upgrades/extras. Any cocker can be turned into pump.

Open class = hopper

Stock class = 10 rd tubes (usually a fixed feedtube)

Spider! 03-24-2013 02:13 PM

Open class with an auto trigger is the easiest step to pump, but it may make you wonder what the point is.

I find the pump stroke on nelsons quite heavy. A stock class nelson is too much work for me; with a back bottle and loader they are fun enough.

Murf425 03-24-2013 02:13 PM

If I'm understanding your title correctly, you're looking for an openclass Nelson? Your best bet is to go on Ebay and look at Phantoms. The used market for them has tanked lately, and you should be able to find an OC one for well under $150.

Axel 03-24-2013 02:50 PM

Comb the B/S/T section. It would help if you provided an idea of your budget. I myself love Phantoms; you really can't go wrong and if you can find one in decent shape for $150 like Murf said, I don't think you'll find a better value.

You can also get an SL-68II from Tippmann for something like $99 now, brand spanking new. I haven't ever played with one, but with a Nelson design and Tippmann manufacture it's hard to imagine how that could be screwed up.

Murf425 03-24-2013 06:37 PM

Here's the answer to your question:

Black R/F Phantom [Black R/F Phantom] - $125.00 : Celanis Paintball, Online Store

Titus is one of our members here, and a GREAT guy to buy from.

Axel 03-24-2013 09:54 PM

Oh yeah, hit that NOW. It doesn't get any better.

Manning 03-24-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murf425 (Post 2663682)
Here's the answer to your question:

Black R/F Phantom [Black R/F Phantom] - $125.00 : Celanis Paintball, Online Store

Titus is one of our members here, and a GREAT guy to buy from.

I second that!:clapping:

jellyghost 03-24-2013 10:04 PM

I think you should consider three price ranges and settle on a phantom.
The cheap way is the SL-68 or the Trracer (used for $50?)
The phantom open class for about 125 to 150
The CCM snipers starting at about $400

I suggest jumping in with an open class phantom. If you can get a setup with vertical air, 3 to 4 oz tank, an L or T shoulder stock, and a 100 round hopper, you have a great starter. That setup might be 200 or a little less used, and you will not be at a huge disadvantage in a game.

Murf425 03-24-2013 10:13 PM

CPX, if you buy the Phantom in that link I posted, and if you want a stock to go on it, let me know. I just reconfigured my Phantom, and I have a lot of parts, including a nice L-stock ready to sell for cheap.