mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newbie/IFAR/Murphy

That's great advice. Actually, everyone I play with keeps trying to strip it down right now, even the person that gave it to me that way.

However, the main reason I play with the extra weight is because while I'm still in the learning phase, I'd rather play with something heavy and bulky, which will help me adapt better. My reasoning is that when I move on to something lighter and faster, it will seem much easier, rather than starting off with something streamlined and then moving up. I want to condition myself and build endurance with the heavier marker.

I know that my reasoning probably isn't very reasonable at all, but if I fail to see improvement then I will strip it down early.

The TPX will be a nice, light option that I won't trip over. In any case, I will certainly take your advice and strip the A5 down to bare bones for the scenario game. Thank you!
Asphyxxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
I went from lighter to heavier, a big heavy A5 to a bigger heavier KP3 (I think my VM takes the cake though).

For me most markers don't weigh anything. I guess that's the only advantage to being a big tall guy although if I use a really light marker like a Phantom or a TPX I have a hard time controlling it (over-correction is a bitch).

I don't know much about Operation Overlord but it seems to be a 2-3 day event, if you're camping I would seriously recommend checking your tent prior to leaving. A weekend can be ruined if you forgot the poles. Also bring a mat or something to put between you and the ground, it could be really rocky and uncomfortable but you probably know that bit. Bring some extra food if you aren't planning on buying any there, it might spoil or you might get bored with the turkey sammiches.

Check your gear, check it again, and then a third time. Make sure you have your tools and that your marker works fine, check that you have all your soft-goods (Packs, vests, gloves, shoes/boots, etc) packed and ready to go. If you're using pods check that you have them all, and make sure your tank is ready to go too. Make sure you mask is clean, I always forget to clean mine and have to spend extra time mucking about with it. Since its a longer event pack some extra clothes, you might rip your shirt/jersey/pants and if you didn't bring an extra then it might not be so fun.

Nothing much else I can advise. I hope it comes in handy. I'm getting ready for SPEW III and have felt really lazy and haven't packed a sleeping bag yet. I think I'll do it tomorrow morning. but I have al the rest of my junk packed upa and ready to go.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newbie/IFAR/Murphy

Yes, I believe it's three days, starting June 28. We are planning to head out the day before to get everything set up and relax/practice a bit.

I never thought about the over-correction issue, maybe I will strip it down this weekend and switch back and forth between attachments and bare bones.

Yes, the mask! Thank you! I spent two hours meticuloudly cleaning EVERY inch of my marker the other day, so much so that the inside of the barrel has a near-mirror finish. Blame it on OCD lol. Even so, I still forgot to clean my mask before heading out. Sigh.

I go camping every chance I get, so I will definitely triple check the gear. Though I am one of those people that when given the chance, will fall asleep anywhere haha. Plus I've got a couple of fold out military cots. Best $60 I ever spent, they are unbelievably comfy!

The extra clothing is a given, I'll probably pack enough for a week. It comes with the gender

Thanks for the extensive tips!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyxxia View Post
Yes, I believe it's three days, starting June 28. We are planning to head out the day before to get everything set up and relax/practice a bit.

I never thought about the over-correction issue, maybe I will strip it down this weekend and switch back and forth between attachments and bare bones.

Yes, the mask! Thank you! I spent two hours meticuloudly cleaning EVERY inch of my marker the other day, so much so that the inside of the barrel has a near-mirror finish. Blame it on OCD lol. Even so, I still forgot to clean my mask before heading out. Sigh.

I go camping every chance I get, so I will definitely triple check the gear. Though I am one of those people that when given the chance, will fall asleep anywhere haha. Plus I've got a couple of fold out military cots. Best $60 I ever spent, they are unbelievably comfy!

The extra clothing is a given, I'll probably pack enough for a week. It comes with the gender

Thanks for the extensive tips!

I got bored 2 days ago and cleaned my PMI1's barrel. I accidentally blew the seals so it has been sitting for a while. Took the bolt out to see the barrel clogged up with gunk. 3 times though with the Tippmann barrel squeegee didn't get anything better, so I wrapped it in paper and tried it 5 more times, Got like 80% of it out, then I attacked it with a swab my friend gave me for about 15 minutes of constant scrubbing. Shiny smooth, amazing how well brass can hold its finish I can't wait to fix it up and get her shooting again.

Best of luck at your game, I'm really excited about mine!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newbie/IFAR/Murphy

You as well, it sounds like fun. I appreciate all the advice
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

Banana's for the win - helps the muscles
some protein bars
in all honesty enjoy playing - TRY markers before making your next purchase - figure a budget then shop around

wild guess in the dark - some markers to try out for ya

Hammer7 - good budget marker that fits milsim a bit for ya and has a lot of versatility - think Bored enjoys his

Hammer/Traccer/Phantom style pump - whatever suits yer fancy

figure out if you like mobility or a shooting platform more =P

anyhow - remember the single most important rule

HAVE FUN

=P

my mcb feedback
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Newbie/IFAR/Murphy

I had no idea bananas helped muscles. I'm sort of ashamed that I didn't.

Protein bars are a damn good idea. I'll grab a case and stick them in every pod pack not currently in use.

I definitely appreciate the marker recommendations, as I've quickly become addicted to playing and can see myself acquiring a collection in the near future.

I'm definitely aiming for mobility more than anything. I have the advantage of being short and sneaky, so I'll try to play to my strengths. I tested out a buddy's new TPX and love the weight and feel of it. But I know there's more out there so I will definitely be investigating those suggestions. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Stockclass player

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:

Protein bars are a damn good idea. I'll grab a case and stick them in every pod pack not currently in use.

I definitely appreciate the marker recommendations, as I've quickly become addicted to playing and can see myself acquiring a collection in the near future.

I'm definitely aiming for mobility more than anything. I have the advantage of being short and sneaky, so I'll try to play to my strengths. I tested out a buddy's new TPX and love the weight and feel of it. But I know there's more out there so I will definitely be investigating those suggestions. Thank you!
bananas help with muscle recovery specifically, but more importatly high potassium fruits/foods will help you stay hydrated. Thats the best advice I can give you too. Dehydration is a killer in long games.

MCB Feedback
Ebay Feedback
mailmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:

If you do check out the Hammer 7 check out VICEToothbrush on YouTube, hes a Canadian baller that uses one often and is very good with it. His video quality is amazing and he is on top of his comment section.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCD Member

I started playing paintball only recently too (just a few months longer than you). And I have to agree with Stitch that you should try different markers if you can. I started with an A5 also, but now have 5 markers... which isn't a lot by MCB standards, but is honestly 2 more than I need.

One of the great things that I've found about the paintball community is that everyone seems really eager to show off what they have and given the opportunity will talk your ear off about it. So chat people up when you see something that interests you. I'm sure, being the fairer sex, they won't mind.

I've never done a big scenario campout thing before, but for energy... I'm going to throw in sports drinks. Fruits are a great idea. I would also say to try to snack throughout the day. And maybe hand wipes... lol

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport