mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
"ex"? Gun Whore

CCM Fan
Opinions needed: Potential pump/stock class player in the making

I'm going to pretend to be a noob ( compared to some MCB'ers I am ) even though I've been playing since 1997 I have never really dabbled into the pump world. I've owned a kp3 and a sl68 loved the kp3 hated the tippmann but I want to play more speedball style and need opinions on what marker to use and how to set it up on a budget I am currently looking at phantoms but know nothing about them

My Feedback 9+/0-
BadAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

I'm a huge proponent of a basic VSC Phantom with a stock and a Freak-bored barrel. Slap on a 3.5-oz tank and strap on a PBMafia Joyride and you're golden.
But you'll probably get a lot of suggestions for Snipers, especially since CCMs seem to be pretty much running the pump world these days. Snipers are also the cheaper route, as the markets pretty flooded with a ton of various Cockers that have been converted.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
"ex"? Gun Whore

CCM Fan
Yeah I'm not looking for something that bulky ccms are light enough but if I am gonna have a cocker then it will be semi ... Love cockers just not what I'm looking for

My Feedback 9+/0-
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Go 'Hawks!

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Then get a phantom

Victis Honor

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Nemo Malus Felix
Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Phantoms are easy as hell to understand. Nothing complicated or difficult to understand about them. They come in all sorts of configurations, wanna go from a stock to a open class they have another body so you don't need a whole marker for it as phantoms are highly modular and customizable to your any whim or want.
DoC19K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
I drink and I know things

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
micro dropout phantom 10rd center feed UC kit 90 frame and freak bored barrel is a great setup also buy an ASP detent modded body that really helps on the rollouts as well. On the internals get a tri fluted hammer and an oring modded TPC and you'll be able to get 4+ tubes of shots off a 12g on a decently warm day.

Another fun setup I've run is a right feed body where instead of a hopper you stick a feed gate onto the feedneck and jam a 10rd tube in it so it's held in place by the feedgate. It's commonly known as a competition feed.

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAcid View Post
I'm going to pretend to be a noob ( compared to some MCB'ers I am ) even though I've been playing since 1997 I have never really dabbled into the pump world. I've owned a kp3 and a sl68 loved the kp3 hated the tippmann but I want to play more speedball style and need opinions on what marker to use and how to set it up on a budget I am currently looking at phantoms but know nothing about them
Depends on exactly how you want to play, but the Phantom is a hell of a nice lightweight pump setup.

A brand new 45 frame vertical stock class will run you right at $308 in any solid color CCI makes, $10 more if you want acid wash or $20 less for plain old black. That's everything you'd need to use it for stock class. Add a T-stock for $55, and a freak-bored barrel or the ASP detent mod, and you're set.

Undercocking is an option that you see a lot, depending on the kit you're probably looking at another $100 there. But keep an eye on the BST forum here, nice phantoms come by all the time in the $300 range with most everything you'd want already attached. They're dirt simple markers to tech, and Mike over at CCI is absolutely the best guy in the business and can hook you up with anything you'd ever want.

We've got a full parts breakdown and tons of technical advice over in the CCI forums here, too.

Be aware, though. Phantoms are addictive. Once you start playing with one, you may end up with a whole bin full of different barrel lengths and accessories so you can run it in different configurations. Mine is set up to go from an open-class pump with a 3.5oz Co2, 14" barrel, and a T-stock, to a 6" barreled micro stock class marker for speedball fields.

Edit : In fact, not my auction, but if you like green here's a 45 VSC Phantom with a matching T-stock and the right feed body so you can switch it between open class or stock class for $240 here in BSC.

Last edited by Wraith; 05-08-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

You loved the kp3 and hated the sl68. The sl68 is a Tippmann version nelson (phantom), whereas the kp3 is more like a sniper(cocker base)/ccm.

Maybe you should try some more out if you have the opportunity.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
"ex"? Gun Whore

CCM Fan
I just didn't like the overall feel of the sl68

Grip angle
Tank out the back of the grip
Rh feed

And a kp3 is not at all what I'm looking for I just liked it plus I only paid $25 for it with tank and tank carrier

My Feedback 9+/0-

Last edited by BadAcid; 05-08-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Blah
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I'm gunna throw my two cents in here. Phantoms, Lapco Ghosts, Carters etc. make great stock class markers. Snipers, CCM's and other double regulated (low pressure) markers I feel are better for open class, they can shoot the fragile(thin shelled) paint more consistently without breaking it, if that is what you are after.

I have been playing pump since 1988, I have my first sniper 2 serial #4309 and it still is used from time to time.

Try out as many as you can before you buy, unless you have the money to spend.
PropperJ is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport