mcarterbrown.com

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

A tippman is one of the last things I want. I've never been a fan of them and their cyclone feeds.
MonkeyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Stop worrying about whether its a "woodsball" marker and just get what you feel comfortable using. Maybe throw out a number you're looking to invest in your kit and it will give everyone an idea of what you can afford. I second getting a good mask, if you are a heavy sweater, maybe one with fans. Also, invest in HPA as it is readily available now and more consistent that CO2. Other than than that, buy what you like. Don't worry about all the scopes, rails and tacticool stuff. All it does is add weight with no practical gain in performance. Buy something reliable. Personally, I would suggest an Automag, but then I'm somewhat of a fanboy.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
All depends on your budget. You say you want this, that, etc. You have to decide what your budget is. Do not cheap out on a mask. The $20 mask you see at Walmart will not last you.

Personally, I would take a look at Azodins stuff if you're just looking for a cheapie to get back in the game. They're definitely a step up from the old blowbacks of the early 2000s.

If you want to go into a pump, pick up a Phantom. They're dirt cheap, and all you really need is to bore the barrel for inserts.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyTX View Post
A tippman is one of the last things I want. I've never been a fan of them and their cyclone feeds.
I totally get that. No worries. Granted some of the older stuff is kinda cool (carbines, sl68I/II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
Automag
Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
Azodins...if you want to go into a pump, pick up a Phantom.
All great choices. As stated budget knowledge helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Are You Smoking Crack?
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
Good mask should be first. Carbon fiber (aluminum if price is a concern) tank should be 2nd. Hopper 3rd then gun. Let us know your budget and what tickles your fancy and somebody here, actually everybody here will be able to steer you the right direction.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
Stop worrying about whether its a "woodsball" marker and just get what you feel comfortable using.
I say I want a woodsball gun because the games I go to are long scenario events where I'm playing all day. So I'd like a foregrip or the ability to attach a sling.
I don't really care about "tacticool stuff". It's why I'd want a purpose built marker so I am not trying to get rails on a 98c to fit my feed system(more about that below)

I'm looking to spend between zero and five hundred on a marker.

Hopper is easy because I'm not getting one. Going for a Q-loader.

Mask I have no idea. I don't sweat much but I do where glasses under it if I don't feel like my contacts are worth putting in.

I'll use whatever gas/air/pixie dust pushes my paint to someones face.

For a vest just something that with either last longer then a year or if it doesn't it can be sewen back together.

I plan to be more of a scout/runner so maybe a pump wouldn't be bad but I would like something with semi-auto capability at some point. I know I'm going to run into a group some day and want to get off more then a shot before they all open fire on me.

All and all I'd say my budget is a firm $1000 dollars. I'd like to keep it under that of course but if that's what it costs then that's what it costs.
MonkeyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
My recommendations

Mask, whatever is comfy, fits your glasses, has thermal lenses and costs over $35 as a rule. Go to a store and try them on. For your budget definitely get a carbon fibur tank, 68/4500 is the most popular size. Ninja, crossfire, gorilla, dye etc... Qloaders have a steep learning curve and can be finiky as well as pricey. Most guys use a force feed hopper to load them so keep that in mind. Most people don't use them and there is a reason, if your determined more power to you. Hard to beat an invert too, vlocity or pinokio for the price. Markers, I would look at a tm-15 for that price. Mini in a milsim, great shooter. Also a sm-1 a used agd tac one will work very well. If is was me, I'd get the tm-15. Vtac echo vest, cheap and very functional. Hope this helps.

Last edited by leathalh; 05-22-2013 at 10:21 PM.
leathalh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Empire E-Flex, great lens view, great breathability (probably the best of all the masks on the market) and they fit glasses comfortably (at least on me anyways)

BT TM7, never seen a Q-Loader on one myself might be cool.

Empire 68/4500 tank, I think it's the best size and the Empire tanks seem to work great and are usually the lowest cost tanks on the market.

I mostly see Gen X Global tactical vests at my field, havent really heard any complaints about them even though they are one of the cheaper tac vests on the market.

Dye makes some nice ones too, thats probably the second most common one I see.

Hope that helped you out.
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyTX View Post
I plan to be more of a scout/runner so maybe a pump wouldn't be bad but I would like something with semi-auto capability at some point..
Yo Monkey boy.. try pump before you buy anything else. for recball it is more friendly for playing with recballers than anything else and for scenarioball you can go for DAYS w/o having to return to reload. I used to play with just a 200 round hopper and no pods, no xtra paint, no added weight, no added noise... just right for running and sneaking around. From reading your posts you'll end up doing this anyway in about a year, so take it from me. try it now. something on the nice but not crazy side. and I would say a nice regulated used sniper.. 14" small bore barrel.. add a 45/4500 for hours between refills. eflex mask... you will not regret it.

edit: I had one more thought for you.. Pump for scenario ball.. you open your gear bag, air up, and go on the field. you will be running missions, putting up points and being effective while the hosers are off field trying to keep their gear running. simplicity is KEY to being effective. Less is more... but quite contrary to what the advertisers in APG have to say.

if you really have to have "semi" .. man the venerable automag works and keep working and a hell of a value in the used market. Tac 1, ULE, Minimag in basic black... L10 bolt. 45/4500 back bottle.

Last edited by thumper; 05-23-2013 at 08:02 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
I was going to suggest perhaps taking a look at Tiberius stuff too. Similar to a mag, but comes in pistol/rifle form. With that, you can do the whole limited paint deal to save money and still have that sling you're looking for.

If you're interested in a pump, you can get a great CCM package for your price. It's a souped up sniper that you can keep up with the semis if you want to autotrigger like Carter..

You talk about being a "runner" and such. Get a 45/45. You honestly do not need a 68 for what you're looking to do, and it'll save you weight and a little bit of dough.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport