mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Working hard

CCM Fan
Paintball lessons

I'm not sure if this belongs here but.. I've been thinking, what if paintball had more lessons available. It could get more kids involved in the sport. I know there are lessons some places but not all. Imagine if we had more lessons available. Parents would feel better about their kids playing because they will actually learn how to play, because a professional is teaching them. Anyway I wanted to know what you guys think.. Will lessons help to get more kids involved in paintball or not?
Fatal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
tournament paintball needs more instruction.

tournament paintball needs more structure.

tournament paintball needs more development programs.

paintball in general does not.

if you want to get kids to play paintball (rec/woods/tourny/whatever) we need to figure out how to make it more affordable

getting kids into a development league/team/program would be great for tourny ball

the only thing stopping my 20 young guns from playin, is money.
(yes i have a group of 20ish young guns)
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
Exactly. Besides, most tourney paintball lessons could be done through a YouTube video series, if anyone was so inclined.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Working hard

CCM Fan
I don't I feel like more hands on learning would help more than a video would.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

tournament paintball needs behavioral conditioning, so players don't wipe as much.
szary[PL] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Agree with Ryan. You don't need lessons for rec ball; you just need to follow the rules. The rest you pick up as you go.
My local field runs summer camps, but it's all tourney-oriented.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Working hard

CCM Fan
I agree with the money aspect but I have played with young kids and they have no idea what to do so you have to teach them, but some people will not be so nice to do that.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ole' Papa Pump

I know I've got my daughter into paintball (Rec Ball) this past summer and she is still learning but I've found having her in the bunker with me and just saying what I'm doing as I'm doing it has refined her skills.
For instance this past Sunday we were playing at our local establishment and we got behind a rather large bunker on the pond field and she saw me moving from shooting out of the top for a few shots on the right side, then I would go low on the right side, then I would hop on the left side, then I would hop back on the right side bottom with only taking a couple of shots at each position. The whole time I was doing this I was explaining to when they don't know where the next shot is coming from you'll catch them off guard. Other times I go out to play I try to grab a "newbie" and have them stick with me and try to teach them in the same way. I get full enjoyment out of teaching "kids" new things so if you're out playing some rec ball try to just refine the skills of the newbies and that'll teach them more than watching a video on YouTube because your "in the heat of the moment". But that's just the way I am, I get full enjoyment out of teaching kids something new.

just my $.02

Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 10 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantoms for SC, a CCM SS-25, a PGP and a Sovereign 3.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Working hard

CCM Fan
I'm glad to see that theirs others who take the new guys under their wing, but all in all I just think for the parents that are unsure if their child should be playing paintball, lessons would help ease their mind. This is only for parents who have no idea about the sport though.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Money Spending Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
if you want to get kids to play paintball (rec/woods/tourny/whatever) we need to figure out how to make it more affordable

getting kids into a development league/team/program would be great for tourny ball

the only thing stopping my 20 young guns from playin, is money.
(yes i have a group of 20ish young guns)
Stanchy, you've played hockey and know how expensive that is. Paintball isn't even as expensive as hockey is, even if you get a "high-end" setup. And once you have the equipment, it's not like you outgrow it. There are guys on here that have been playing with the same gun since before I was born.

It's the stigma that paintball isn't a sport it's a game, it's expensive for a game, it's on the cheaper side for an "organized" sport. On that note, I agree organized isn't exactly a word I use with paintball as it stands.

As far as lessons go, I feel that little tips and tricks help a lot but there is a certain element of trial and error and finding your own play style as well. What works for some guys doesn't work for me, and what works for me doesn't seem to work for anybody but me (a twig is good cover to hide behind isn't it?).
Keys_JR is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport