mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 10-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

New player and a newbie question

Hi everyone,

I'm a new player, age 32. Just started this spring. I've had somewhat of an interest in paintball since high school, but the welts and stories of frozen paint kept me from any desire to actually play it. (Good thing I missed the whole thing with Monster balls)

I've grown a lot bolder than I was back then, and I think of paintball as a kind of therapy. Both physical and mental.

I admire older style markers and I'm leaning towards pump play. I've got a JT ER2s, but haven't had a chance to use it in a game yet. Eventually, I might get a Trracer, Hammer 7, or SL 68II... Or a Phantom if I can rationalize the spending... I tend to have a soft spot for cheap stuff, though paintball has kind of stretched my limits of what I would consider "too expensive".

I've been browsing the forums for a week or two, and I look forward to gleaning new information and getting into various discussions about the sport.

And now, a newbie question:

"I just discovered that I can drop a few balls down the barrel and shoot them all at once for a crazy shotgun effect. Is this considered "ok" behavior?"

Sorry about that one. I really am curious about this. It seems like a "fun" thing to do, but I'm just not sure if it is a "correct" and/or "smart"/"legal"/"safe" thing to do.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

I've never seen anyone complain about players double-pumping, but be aware that loading multiple balls greatly reduces your shot velocity and increases your chances of barrel breaks. I've done it accidentally in a few games, and they're usually just wasted shots because I get no accuracy or distance. There are also "nasty" markers (double barrel) which fire two full velocity shots and they're allowed, at least for recreational or scenario games.

That being said, I've wondered about double-pumping in a close-quarters situation, where multiple balls might be advantageous and the lower velocity might be courteous... I think there was another thread earlier this year, about "double-pumping a nasty".
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay
freedummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Not sure on the legality of it, but doing it, you're begging for a nasty barrel break.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
I've never seen anyone complain about players double-pumping, but be aware that loading multiple balls greatly reduces your shot velocity and increases your chances of barrel breaks. I've done it accidentally in a few games, and they're usually just wasted shots because I get no accuracy or distance. There are also "nasty" markers (double barrel) which fire two full velocity shots and they're allowed, at least for recreational or scenario games.

That being said, I've wondered about double-pumping in a close-quarters situation, where multiple balls might be advantageous and the lower velocity might be courteous... I think there was another thread earlier this year, about "double-pumping a nasty".
Yes, it works well enough in close-quarters. You need the right setup to get multiple balls out of the barrel without popping the one near the bolt face. Over-boring (large barrel bore) helps. It is also handy in night play where all hits count regardless of breakage, but you are already shooting lower, and cleaning out a barrel in the dark isn't easy.

Three is the most I've seen done with any good value.

Welcome to MCB!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Skunk...welcome to MCB and welcome to the sport.

Just a word of caution...the whole bravado about keeping things cheap...well you found MCB so that immediately means your wallet is going to be drained.

Specially when you see things like:

or

But welcome nonetheless...
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cannon fodder

Fan of EMR
I think there was a video that Tyger did once where he described double-pumping as a technique you can use to punch through brush. I'll second what OPBN said though - you're probably just setting yourself up for a barrel break.

Either way, it sounds like you'll fit in quite fine. Welcome and watch your wallet!
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

The Hammer 7 for $130 would be a nice but almost all new ones needs the cup seal to be tightened back on. From the factory they are loose. Another marker that you could try and not spend a fortune on is the Gog eNMEy, it is a mechanical spool valve gun that is an excellent shooter for $130. Spool valve guns require a little more maintenance but that is just lubing it before or after every time you play. Have fun!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix01 View Post
The Hammer 7 for $130 would be a nice but almost all new ones needs the cup seal to be tightened back on. From the factory they are loose. Another marker that you could try and not spend a fortune on is the Gog eNMEy, it is a mechanical spool valve gun that is an excellent shooter for $130. Spool valve guns require a little more maintenance but that is just lubing it before or after every time you play. Have fun!
But you can't double pump a Hammer 7 (easily ). Which still puzzles me with the pump return spring.

One of our local pump teams actually uses double pumping when bunkering people on the blind side near the end of the game.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Love for Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post

Just a word of caution...the whole bravado about keeping things cheap...well you found MCB so that immediately means your wallet is going to be drained.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...psf1b165ea.jpg

or

http://i43.tinypic.com/290u78y.jpg

True that, but these pictures don't help control the temptatiun either hommy ;-)

Over 1500 fans on Facebook:

https://www.facebook...sforsalenowpage
AJpaintball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Shampoo View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a new player, age 32. Just started this spring. I've had somewhat of an interest in paintball since high school, but the welts and stories of frozen paint kept me from any desire to actually play it. (Good thing I missed the whole thing with Monster balls)

I've grown a lot bolder than I was back then, and I think of paintball as a kind of therapy. Both physical and mental.

I admire older style markers and I'm leaning towards pump play. I've got a JT ER2s, but haven't had a chance to use it in a game yet. Eventually, I might get a Trracer, Hammer 7, or SL 68II... Or a Phantom if I can rationalize the spending... I tend to have a soft spot for cheap stuff, though paintball has kind of stretched my limits of what I would consider "too expensive".

I've been browsing the forums for a week or two, and I look forward to gleaning new information and getting into various discussions about the sport.

And now, a newbie question:

"I just discovered that I can drop a few balls down the barrel and shoot them all at once for a crazy shotgun effect. Is this considered "ok" behavior?"

Sorry about that one. I really am curious about this. It seems like a "fun" thing to do, but I'm just not sure if it is a "correct" and/or "smart"/"legal"/"safe" thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...psf1b165ea.jpg

or

http://i43.tinypic.com/290u78y.jpg

In other words, Welcome to MCB. You're ****ed.

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport