mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
Dude, look at the hammer7. Looks real-ish, can be open class, can use mags.
Really cheap.

Cheers
I really really don't like Kingman. The guy at pro shop didn't have much to say about it, but I've heard some nasty things about the hammer7. So I'm on the fence, I like that it fires FSR though. but the hammer7 is the kind of look I'm going for (magfeed isn't a dealbreaker)
TitanXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Chesnut

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
You're from Ontario? Canadian BST - mcarterbrown.com

I also hear your brethren talking about Kijiji or some crazy Northern voodoo.

The nice thing about buying used is that if you end up not liking the gun, you can generally sell it for about the same price you paid.
Feedback
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think you should check out this thread:
If you could have only ONE gun...
Notice how many times the phantom is mentioned. There are a variety of CCMs and automags mentioned, but the phantom runs away as one of the greatest guns. My first pump gun was a phantom, and I have owned 10+ pumps since. The phantom is still my favorite. If you look around, you can get a pretty complete used setup for $150.

Having said all of that, I know it isn't for everyone.

Last edited by jellyghost; 01-28-2014 at 10:14 AM.
jellyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

The Phantom is a solid pump with a long history and an excellent reputation. And not all are "flashy"

[LINK]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phantom.jpg (12.9 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by ironnerd88; 01-28-2014 at 09:12 AM.
ironnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Just crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
You're from Ontario? Canadian BST - mcarterbrown.com

I also hear your brethren talking about Kijiji or some crazy Northern voodoo.

The nice thing about buying used is that if you end up not liking the gun, you can generally sell it for about the same price you paid.
Haha... yeah Kijiji is the stuff!
Dye says that they're going to make a 'Faultline Broomstick' soon, so wait for that, then you'll never be outshoot, unless the other guy has a full-auto ramping Boo-Ya frame on there Spider and a Dye Broomstick, then your screwed, you mite as well play Airsoft.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderated

I would suggest buying a used pump from here on MCB. Play with it for a while and relist it in B/S/T get another pump, repeat. You'll not really ever lose money, as most used pumps hold their value well, and you'll get to try lots of configurations/styles/flavors. I mean, you are going to wind up with that addiction ANYWAY (we all have it, Carter sends it to you around maybe your 100th post or so, using some sort of brassmagic) so you might as well take advantage of it from the start.

FWIW, I love me some Phantoms. Mike at CCI is about the nicest person on Earth, and those markers are bullet proof.
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

^^^
If I did not already have three four pump guns, I would plunk down the cash for a used Phantom.

Last edited by ironnerd88; 02-19-2014 at 11:49 AM.
ironnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
not your average redneck

The empire sniper is a solid platform to learn how to run/tune/build/etc a cocker based pump plus you get a great barrel kit with it. To start pump, I bought a cheap cocker and a cheap pump kit and built my own (I think I spent 150 total) then sold it later (making my money back) when I knew I liked the style. I have never used an open class phantom; however, they can be almost infinitely configured and last forever so it would be a great bang for your buck. Count on any other guns of yours sitting around collecting dust b/c pump is addictive!
Like Us on FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/#!/TSMPaintball
tippmannrocker90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippmannrocker90 View Post
The empire sniper is a solid platform to learn how to run/tune/build/etc a cocker based pump plus you get a great barrel kit with it. To start pump, I bought a cheap cocker and a cheap pump kit and built my own (I think I spent 150 total) then sold it later (making my money back) when I knew I liked the style. I have never used an open class phantom; however, they can be almost infinitely configured and last forever so it would be a great bang for your buck. Count on any other guns of yours sitting around collecting dust b/c pump is addictive!
agreed. Rolling your own pump is not that hard at all. Heck I had never taken a gun all the way apart (minus my phantom) when I acquired my old reflex sniper. I had to take the bottom tube out to get at the valve jam nut and in the process learned that snipers are brutally simple to tear down and rebuild. With what I learned from that marker and fixing that leak I could now confidently build a sniper from a pile of parts to a working marker (before tuning and such) in probably 5 minutes or less. Snipers,phantoms and your basic old school sheridans are the easiest and simplest guns out there to maintain and use.

If you choose to roll your own (foregoing the trilogy route I suggested in my first post) even if you go relatively cheap on the body I'd highly recommend looking into one of the CCM pump kits, deluxe version if you can afford it, and a ccm lower tube kit. Those 2 things will make for a very efficient and smooth marker. their on/off ASA's and regs are great as well but if you full CCM a marker it can be quite expensive so I usually just recommend to a first timer their pump kits and lower tube kits and then if you get a chance to try a marker with one of their 86 or 45 frames and some of the other parts you can see if you like those too.

Feedback +36/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.

Last edited by Falcon16; 02-19-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Badger

Brass N Wood Fan
I will say that once you get bitten by the pump bug, your collection of them can start breeding like rabbits. I started out playing pump with an open class Phantom back in 2000. Since then, I've picked up a PGP2, NSG Splatmaster, Trilogy pump, and I have a pump kit in my tool box for my Bob Long Autococker. That's not including the various parts I have for the Phantom to convert it to stock class (its current configuration).

If you're looking for a recommendation though, I'd say to definitely look at the Phantom. You could have one pump (if you have the fortitude to avoid buying every pump that crosses your path) that can be customized in an infinite number of ways for not a lot of money. Things like breeches, pump kits, air fittings, barrels, feeds, stocks, etc. are all easily swapped out with no real skill required. Most of the time it's just a matter of loosening a thumbscrew or allen screw to swap out a part for a whole new configuration. Phantoms are like the Lego kits of paintball guns.

My Feedback Thread
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport