mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Those Little Yellow Chronos

So, it seems like those little yellow 'hand held' 'one button' chronos are pretty common, and pretty cheap.

I have one. It didn't come with instructions, but I (maybe) figured out that all you have to do is push the button to get it ready to chrono the next shot? I used it that way to chrono my T9.1 and it worked fine.

I stuck my new (to me, very very used in fact) Custom 98 behind it today. Now, this is also the first time I'm using HPA - I have the HPA tank going directly into a remote line, which is going directly into the marker.

I blew off the first shot and it chrono'd at 580. A few more shots and I couldn't get it lower, but I also noticed that the chrono started acting strangely. It wouldn't 'reset' when I pushed the button - pushing the button actually just set it to two-dashes (like it reset) but then it'd throw out another 500+ number without me even firing a shot.

Anyone have this happen on one of those little yellow Chronos? If so, am I screwed? Is it just broken?

Or is it possible my Custom 98 is actually shooting that fast? And if so, aside from just turning the velocity screw, how do I fix that? Am I missing something in my air system?

Any help would be appreciated!
Fellwarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Old but still dangerous!

you know the lil tabs on top, there is suppose to be a strap, and you need to hit the button, you get the two dashes that means it is ready to go and you hang it from the barrel so that it is about 2 inches below the barrel then fire, and you will get an accurate reading, holding the lil yellow will give you whacked readings. Here is the instructions : http://www.sportssensors.com/wp-cont.../PBRowners.pdf

http://www.edmontonpaintball.com/for...-fan-club.html
SnowDawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I fixed it!

Yeah, you're right about the strap, but what I was doing wrong was the strap was way too tight, causing it to get reads even when I wasn't shooting anything. I don't know the science behind it, but when the strap was very snug, it would give me reads of almost 600 fps without me even shooting - right after I pushed the button. Loosened the strap just a little bit so it dangled a little looser and it's working fine now. 98 custom crono'd at a fairly consistent 285.
Fellwarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
You could hold it from the very bottom and try not get your hand in the way. I always found the strap to be pretty cheesy.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I just hold mine from the bottom without obstructing the back of the chrono (won't read properly if blocked). You might also want to consider changing out the battery because a low battery will give inaccurate readings. You need a Duracell 1/3N battery. I had to order mine online since it is a very uncommon cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
I just hold mine from the bottom without obstructing the back of the chrono (won't read properly if blocked). You might also want to consider changing out the battery because a low battery will give inaccurate readings. You need a Duracell 1/3N battery. I had to order mine online since it is a very uncommon cell.
Radio Shack stocks them, but you can get them online a lot cheaper.

I'm on the third or fourth battery in my little yellow guy - I've had it a lot of years and it's been really good to me.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

As others have said, these things go weird on you when the battery gets low.

I've found that I get good results if I hold mine by holding it from the sides with just my thumb and forefinger.
Gripping it normally with my whole hand across the back apparently blocks the radar.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
As others have said, these things go weird on you when the battery gets low.

I've found that I get good results if I hold mine by holding it from the sides with just my thumb and forefinger.
Gripping it normally with my whole hand across the back apparently blocks the radar.
Thus. So much this. I have gotten false reads by fully gripping it and also no reads by fully gripping it.

Quote:
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've found that if I hold mine on the side of the barrel I tend to always get a good reading but from below the barrel it has difficulty finding the ball.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnif View Post
I've found that if I hold mine on the side of the barrel I tend to always get a good reading but from below the barrel it has difficulty finding the ball.
If your barrel is poorly ported it is going to have a harder time reading the shot. Make sure to hold it 2" back of the barrel and about a 1/4-1/2" below the barrel for the most accurate reading. I have gotten good results resting the barrel on it, so YMMV.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport