mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
I do not recommend a mag fed gun for your first gun. Your going to want something that you can at least make an attempt at shooting your self out of a corner. I would recomend a setup like this.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...0/838/cy0v.png
Not a bad start, but I'm with Chesthair on this one. Spend a bit more on a mask and ANS has the eXTCy w/blackheart board down to 190.00. Much more vercatile.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
I'll throw my hat in the ring...
I work in the local proshop and here is what I tell people in your situation....

Buy the best mask you can afford.
All the mask on the market have to undergo the same certifications to be rated & approve for paintball
Here are the ones that we sell the most of:
JT Spectra Prosheild
JT ProFlex
Empire Eflex
Empire Event
VForce Profiler

Go to your local proshop and try on some masks and see which one fits you the best

I don't suggest MagFed markers to first time players.
You are putting yourself at a big disadvantage on the field these days. You only have what is in your mags (and maybe your 10round tubes if you bring any) and your average rental has more "firepower" then you.
Think of buying Call of Duty or Battlefront for the first time, putting the game in and turning it up on the hardest difficulty. It is a steep learning curve and frustrating for a new player.

For someone looking a "carbine rifle" looking paintball marker, I would look at the US Army line (Alpha Black, Carver One, & Project Salvo) or the Empire BT line (Omega, Delta & G36). They are all based off the Tippmann 98 platform, which is one of the most reliable markers on the market (and used as a field rental for that reason)

If you have your heart set on mag fed, I would steer clear on Rap4 & Milsig markers. The quality control is horrible and more often then not you have an expensive paper weight.
At our store we stock the Scarab Arms line, Tiberius, & Spyder magfed markers and the Tacamo Magfed conversion kits for Tippmanns.
I have held the Dye DAM and it is nice but alot of money to invest into a marker that in my case wouldn't see the field that much.
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

I am wondering where all this BS about being behind "tourney guns"
you are limited with the amount of paint you can carry on the field
is coming from.

Is there any "magfed" marker out there that can't use a Rotor or either has a soon to be released or a already released "boxmag" or that precludes one from using pods to refill said "hopper"? Just because you have a "magfed" or a "real steel" lookalike marker doesn't mean you HAVE to be limited to magfed play. Combined with the fact we are all usually limited to a specific RoF/FPS and most of the stuff currently available with "FA" can meet or exceed those limits how are you considering these markers "behind" anything?
Length or Weight "might" be a factor but just because some milsim/magfed users have 3 different scopes, 4 flashlights, 2 different colored lazers, an extra rail for their "sight picture" to have mask clearance, a 14-20" barrel and a bi-pod doesn't mean everyone runs that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.

Last edited by EL17E 76; 04-04-2014 at 09:46 AM.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL17E 76 View Post
is coming from.

Is there any "magfed" marker out there that can't use a Rotor or either has a soon to be released or a already released "boxmag" or that precludes one from using pods to refill said "hopper"? Just because you have a "magfed" or a "real steel" lookalike marker doesn't mean you HAVE to be limited to magfed play. Combined with the fact we are all usually limited to a specific RoF/FPS and most of the stuff currently available with "FA" can meet or exceed those limits how are you considering these markers "behind" anything?
Length or Weight "might" be a factor but just because some milsim/magfed users have 3 different scopes, 4 flashlights, 2 different colored lazers, an extra rail for their "sight picture" to have mask clearance, a 14-20" barrel and a bi-pod doesn't mean everyone runs that way.
There is some truth to this, you can put a hopper on most magfeds, although at that point you might as well just spend less money on a traditional marker. That is why my argument against starting off that way is based on economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread

Last edited by lordkyleofearth; 04-04-2014 at 02:09 PM.
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL17E 76 View Post
is coming from.

Form factor makes one heck of a difference. A 'tourney' electro is a -very- compact and light package that can tuck up nicely to hug bunkers and be kept up, on target, and firing while dumping pods into the hopper. Trying to do the same with a milsim marker styled after real steel is impractical at best.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

My opinion--

Get a quality mask first.

For the gun...magfed is great for me and I love playing it but i would check with your friends first. If they all shoot electros and all the fields they play at draws the same just know that a magfed will put you in a disadvantage in terms of rate of fire, etc. Maybe see if they play pump games in your area? A empire traccer is cheap and has a milsimish look to it.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
What is your budget?

I agree with the good mask (JT or profilers). Find out what your style of paintball is: electro, mech or pump. I would seriously give pump a try, for field entry and a bag a paint (roughly $33 together), I can play all day and hang out with friends. My S6 sold me on pump play.

If you are on a budget, pick up a used A5 (Tippman) and run C02 until you can afford HPA (carbon fiber tank/reg...high pressure air). The barrel would be your next upgrade. With the A5, you can run a "cap" unstead of a hopper if you are looking for more of a milsim look.

Paintball is a blast, go out a play it before you start buying gear. Mask, buy it new...marker...used in good condition from someone with good feedback.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

To sum up what everyone has said.

1. Go out and play first. You will learn more talking to locals and holding things than you will on the internet. Talk to people about their guns, see what the best and worse players are using. Play some rec ball, woodsball, and speed ball. When I started, I wanted a gillie suit, Tac One longbow, and to camp all game. Now, I frequent the airball fields, wear a tee shirt and pads, and frequently bunker other players. Tastes change, try stuff out.

2. TRY ON AND BUY A HIGH END MASK. Whatever you play, a mask will make all the difference. If you can't see, hear, or breathe, you're gonna have a hard time shooting anything. Again, see what the locals like. In a cold climate, people might like something different than in a hot one. Us Cali kids like our Profilers, I4s, and Proflexes. That's not to say that's all anyone uses, but these are some of the most common options.

3. If you want the best odds against people who have been playing this sport a lot longer than you, a electro pneumatic marker is the way to go. Look at it this way. When I went to the DMV for my driving test, I drove a tiny automatic toyota. Even though my daily driver is a giant SUV and I've been learning stick, I chose the easiest to drive car I had access to. I wouldn't have chosen a vintage muscle car or tuned racer. The Toyota frankly is not as cool or rare as a '69 shelby cobra or a Caterham RS500 superlight, but it's a hell of a lot more useful for passing a DMV test or just commuting. If you're learning to play, don't buy a Shelby Cobra type marker (Mag fed, stock class, ect.) get something stupid simple, light, and efficient. Get a Toyota.

4. Lastly, learn tourney skills. If you want to be the best on the field, things like snap shooting, shooting switched, aggressive movement, and good communication are important. Even amongst magfed players, the exceptional ones use many "Pro" techniques. Look at a pistol pete video, his fundamental skills mimic those of a D1 tourney player even when he is using his magfed setups. Don't get too caught up in the tactical aspect. Paintballs are not bullets and eliminations are not kills. Play accordingly.
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Go to a rental field and just play with walk ons. Bring a buddy with you.

Only thing you MIGHT want to do before you go rent, is buy your own mask. Find a local store and try on everything they have, shaking your head a lot, breathing heavily, jumping around.

Once you try on everything and realize the JT spectra or JT Flex/Proflex is the most comfortable, buy one, and then go to a rental field and have some fun.

Don't get caught up in dominating firepower right now. Paintball guns that look like real guns are usually really cumbersome for paintball, pointless aesthetic accessories that get in the way. With a paintball mask it is tough to actually bring a buttstock up to your cheek.

Best choice is just to get some buds and go to a rental field with or without your own mask.

Really, don't overthink this. Don't buy anything (except MAYBE a mask) and just go play rental paintball and have a good time. Avoid fields with a lot of guys wearing flashy clothes like out dated motocross riders. Find a field with a bunch of people (fathers and sons) and guns that look like this or this

The people should be wearing sweatshirts or camos or a mix.
That is where you want to play.

Last edited by Cunha; 04-08-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Go to a rental field and just play with walk ons. Bring a buddy with you.

Only thing you MIGHT want to do before you go rent, is buy your own mask. Find a local store and try on everything they have, shaking your head a lot, breathing heavily, jumping around.

Once you try on everything and realize the JT spectra or JT Flex/Proflex is the most comfortable, buy one, and then go to a rental field and have some fun.

Don't get caught up in dominating firepower right now. Paintball guns that look like real guns are usually really cumbersome for paintball, pointless aesthetic accessories that get in the way. With a paintball mask it is tough to actually bring a buttstock up to your cheek.

Best choice is just to get some buds and go to a rental field with or without your own mask.

Really, don't overthink this. Don't buy anything (except MAYBE a mask) and just go play rental paintball and have a good time. Avoid fields with a lot of guys wearing flashy clothes like out dated motocross riders. Find a field with a bunch of people (fathers and sons) and guns that look like http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/z...tippmann98.jpg this or this http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps30d6e42e.jpg

The people should be wearing sweatshirts or camos or a mix.
That is where you want to play.
That's actually a nice tip that I'd think most people wouldn't give but should. My problem right now is finding someone to go with... My friend is a ***** and is afraid to go...
MrGobstopper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport