mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #31 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Get another friend, go with your dad if he is around and isn't too old or too much of an *******. Bring a brother or a sister, or seriously just anyone.

Going alone is not a bad racket either, you will make friends. Its fun to have someone to share your experiences with though.

The best tip though is to find a nice friendly field, the staff there will tell you everything you need (except don't listen to them if they want you to buy a paintball gun setup from them!) You're in for a treat.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

Kilt Fan
Dudebro,

Buy a used speedball marker of decent quality.
Anything operational for 200 or so will do you well.
Proto, Planet Eclipse, Dye, Invert or Empire won't let you down.

MAKE SURE YOU TRY IT AT A FIELD.
Use a chronograph, and ensure the marker shoots consistantly.
INSIST on the marker shooting 280, and not being over or under by 10 FPS.
If it doesn't, the seller will probably come up with some crappy excuse, or a cheap way that when you purchase it you can fix it.
Tell them if they fix it then you'd gladly be interested, but don't buy something that isn't working perfectly without expecting a whole lot of hassle, as it's probably the reason that they are selling it.

As for an airtank, purchase a used carbon fiber tank. The resale value will be near, if not exactly what you paid for it. Steel tanks do NOT have value in my area, as I've seen people give them away.
Keep in mind the hydrostatic test date, as this will reflect the worth of the tank.
Most tanks that are worth purchasing will have rebirth dates that extend the usable life of the tank by 5 year increments.
Read up on google how to properly check this.

As for a loader, definitely buy a Rotor. You should be able to pick one up used for 100.
If it turns on, and feeds balls, it's worth the money. They are durable as fooq, and will never let you down.

Mask wise, feel free to purchase new, as most people hold a high value on their used masks, as if they're worth much. They're not.
A JT proflex is a GREAT buy, and is not very prone to fogging. Anything else is generally a loftier price for the same quality.

I spout all this info as an opinion, though it may not be shared.
Get good with a simple, quality marker.
If you purchase a non flashy marker, that works flawlessly, you'll be able to concentrate on how you play the game, and avoid the end game excuses as to why you BARELY got hit, and how you ALMOST had someone, or WOULD HAVE,... had your marker not crapped out.

Get the right gear first, and you'll enjoy the game a whole lot more.

PS. Avoid stock class pumps, and magazine fed. They ARE inherently cool, but won't let you develop your play style as quickly. It'd be like learning to ride a bike before learning to crawl.

Cheers,
--Cam
Dr. VonDeafingson
I typically carry one extra tube and give them 1 ball from it.

I'm an *** like that.

My Feedback!
vv0mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vv0mp View Post

PS. Avoid stock class pumps,

Cheers,
--Cam
Hey, those were all we had available when we first started playing.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Suggesting a newbie purchase a used carbon fiber tank is a pretty poor idea, IMHO. They aren't going to know how to tell if it's been abused in ways that can make it fail, especially if it's stickered over or in a case.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post
Hey, those were all we had available when we first started playing.
Haha, I love stock class, but admit it, starting out now and playing rec ball against egos and all that, is it where you'd want to start?
Dr. VonDeafingson

I'm an *** like that.

My Feedback!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
MCB Member

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Suggesting a newbie purchase a used carbon fiber tank is a pretty poor idea, IMHO. They aren't going to know how to tell if it's been abused in ways that can make it fail, especially if it's stickered over or in a case.
I disagree strongly with this.
At what point would someone graduate to a carbon fiber tank, then?
And, at that time, what would qualify them moreso than someone just getting into it.
Two minutes of googling would illustrate what to look out for and what to avoid for anyone who's not familiar with the concepts and red flags.

Too often I've seen someone pay 50 bucks for a steel tank, that they end up disliking after a month of playing, only to upgrade it shortly thereafter.
Dr. VonDeafingson

I'm an *** like that.

My Feedback!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

New player should have a fun to use light weight blowback and play with other new players.

Not a bulky annoying heavy paint waster setup. A 12 oz co2 tank is called for here..or whatever the rental field gives out.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
So say we all!

Send a message via AIM to Drachen Send a message via MSN to Drachen

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Basics are what you should start with. Now a days you can get a decent gun that can keep up with anything out there, but in a slightly less fancy fashion. As a first gun, I would suggest against getting a mag fed gun. If that's what you really want, because you're going to be playing mag fed specific games, great. Go for it. But limiting yourself to something that's mag fed only might get kind of discouraging trying to move on to other game types. Same with pump. I started out with a pump myself, and lucky for me I really liked the sport itself, and kept with it. But I also know of others that made the same choice for first gun, got discouraged by the challenge (which veterans feel when limiting themselves in the technology they use), and never came back.

When getting your first gun, don't go and get ahead yourself in a new or even used speedball anything. Electro guns, IMO should not be your first gun, at all. Even the E-spyder's...just more stuff to go wrong, and when I'm new to anything, me personally, I want something that will just work with as little in depth maintenance as possible. Stick with something mechanical. Get to know the basics. I also wouldn't go for bottom of the barrel either neccesarily. A GoG eNMEy is a great start to be honest. It'll teach you the same things you're going to want to learn when you move on to high end guns.

As far as mask, don't skimp on the mask. Get the best quality mask that's within your budget. Don't get something cheap and figure it'll work. Yes, it will stop a paintball (hopefully...), but you're not going to be comfortable while playing, which is a big deal. I would highly recommend AGAINST full head masks. Yeah, they may give you a piece of mind when it comes to taking dome shots, but really, that's part of the game. The two full head masks that I have personally owned get very VERY warm. Masks get warm on your face anyways, but those damn things hardly breath. Wear a sock cap, or a thinner beanie cap, and call it even. Do get a good, quality mask though. JT Proflex/E-Flex are a great mask. They cover quite a bit, and are very comfy. E-vents are nice too, but have a little less coverage.
Wanted: Axes
Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #39 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Exactly. My usual 'go buy this' newbie load is :

Best mask you can get, I like e-Vents, but try on a bunch and see what fits your head well. You only get one set of eyes, protect 'em.

Something simple marker wise. The venerable Tippman 98 is still a great marker, but there are a ton of similar markers that are essentially bulletproof mechanically, shoot fine, and can be had for around $100 new. The eNMEy's a good suggestion as well, and is $120 new depending on where you look.

HPA or CO2 tank, most likely HPA given most fields have compressors and offer all day air. You can get a 48/3000 aluminum tank for $50 new easily, and 20oz CO2 tanks are essentially free these days at $20.

A hopper. May even come with the marker. You don't really need a nifty-awesome loader for starting out, that's just another $100 investment when you'll have plenty of fun with a $5 200 round plastic hopper for now.

If you find you're running out of paint a lot in your first few games, you might want to shoot less, otherwise you could add an inexpensive pack and a couple of pods to carry a bit more paint. Really, though, as a new player you're going to be focusing on learning to move anyway.

Last edited by Wraith; 04-13-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Make sure you check out the prices at the field in regards to tank rental and all day air. A couple of the fields around here charge $5 for all day air and also $5 to rent a HPA tank with all day air included.
2hits is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport