mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-03-2014, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

First gun tips

I've never played paintball but I am willing to pay some money on it because everyone I know who has played it loves it. So I want to get some equipment that has a realistic feel to it like the US Army paintball guns. But I would also like to know if there is any guns that have the leaders at the bottom like a real gun. I also want a full face mask that is good and anything else I need. Please help me. Thanks!
MrGobstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
guns that have the leaders at the bottom like a real gun.
I don't follow you here.

As far as beginners mask, I was quite impressed with the tippmann Valor. Great field of vision, comfy, and great resilience to fogging for a single pain lenses; granted it has a coating that will likely wear off over time, but it worked beautifully on a 50 fall day with rain. They run in the $30 range.
pummel u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
njk
Pump Player since 96`

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I would suggest you go to your local fields and play a few times before buying gear. Then once your hooked, and you will be, go to your local paintball shop and have them outfit you. A lot of times they'll have "beginner" packages which will include all the basic gear (gun, hopper, tank, mask). As for starter guns I would suggest anything from tippmann, especially a tippmann Model 98 or A5. But your best bet is to talk to your local pb shop.

And welcome aboard to MCB.

Nate

Autotrigger = Ramping for pump guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHSquared View Post
If you build it, we will spend.
njk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Buy your mask first and spend as much money as possible on it, in this case more expensive does equal better (except the slys, they suck) all the high end masks are great (besides the slys, they suck)just some fit certian people's heads better than others, If you have a big head I reccomend a set of proflexes, small head, I4's.

And I believe he meant loaders. Rap4 sells mag fed guns but they don't work well from what I hear. There is that new company that came out, check the news feed for it, forgot the name, they sell a mag fed one as well that uses mags (rap 4 makes a box mag I believe that people swap out the top on to fit)

here

Whoa! Milsig is actually releasing the M17!

I will warn you now, milsim guns are just that, milsim, they will give you absolutely zero preformance over any of the newer lighter guns. I suggest getting a newer style marker but go ahead and go for a mil sim one if you want.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.

Last edited by JLuke; 04-03-2014 at 08:42 AM.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

General concensus among "veteran" players is buy your mask first. Don't skimp on this. You can't hit what you can't see and fogging sucks. Buy a high quality mask with a thermal lens. Next, buy a loader. A good force feed loader, ie. Roter, Spire, Prophecy, Pinokio, Halo Too, Revvy, VLocity all good choices. Then buy your tank. A carbon fiber tank costs more, but is well worth it over a steelie, in weight and shot capacity. Then we start talking markers and other gear. Unless of course your budget allows you to buy everything at once.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe Man View Post
General concensus among "veteran" players is buy your mask first. Don't skimp on this. You can't hit what you can't see and fogging sucks. Buy a high quality mask with a thermal lens. Next, buy a loader. A good force feed loader, ie. Roter, Spire, Prophecy, Pinokio, Halo Too, Revvy, VLocity all good choices. Then buy your tank. A carbon fiber tank costs more, but is well worth it over a steelie, in weight and shot capacity. Then we start talking markers and other gear. Unless of course your budget allows you to buy everything at once.
What's the best kind of realistic marker?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
Buy your mask first and spend as much money as possible on it, in this case more expensive does equal better (except the slys, they suck) all the high end masks are great (besides the slys, they suck)just some fit certian people's heads better than others, If you have a big head I reccomend a set of proflexes, small head, I4's.

And I believe he meant loaders. Rap4 sells mag fed guns but they don't work well from what I hear. There is that new company that came out, check the news feed for it, forgot the name, they sell a mag fed one as well that uses mags (rap 4 makes a box mag I believe that people swap out the top on to fit)

here

Whoa! Milsig is actually releasing the M17!

I will warn you now, milsim guns are just that, milsim, they will give you absolutely zero preformance over any of the newer lighter guns. I suggest getting a newer style marker but go ahead and go for a mil sim one if you want.
That's exactly what I was talking about. I saw a video on YouTube with a guy that had one of those.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
Buy your mask first and spend as much money as possible on it,
That means buying new. Don't bother with a used mask at this point. Stay away from anything marked RARE, Limited Edition, etc.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

All of this is in MY opinion yours may vary

Masks - Sly ProFit - Empire E-Flex
or JT spectra Flex 8 full coverage helmet if you want to completely encase your head

if you are looking for a marker that is...

MAGfed without batteries - semi/FA mode
MILSIG M17 in one of its various forms would be what I would pick up

MAGfed with batteries, "lighter", more "modes" and an easier time going to a hopper
Dye DAM

"military" looking without needing to bother with MAGfed
Empire Dfender
BT TM-7/TM-15

"limited" ammo MAGfed super compact lightweight lower cost
Tippmann TiPX

"cheap" military look
Tippmann Cronus

Tank -
Ninja your choice on size of anything carbon fiber - then run a remote line if necesary

Hopper -
if needed just buy a Rotor and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.

Last edited by EL17E 76; 04-03-2014 at 12:28 PM.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
BOOM Headshot

EDIT: Egads, I just saw that you've never played before. DEFINITELY make some friends, and try out equipment before you buy! Maybe you'll discover you hate paintball, and save yourself several hundred bucks in the process! When you buy new gear, it immediately takes a 25%-50% decrease in resale value, so don't assume you can try it once, and sell it for what you bought it for in the classifieds!

I concur with everyone else here - good mask with thermal lens first. Nothing will ruin your day and undo all the fanciest gear like being blind on the field. I have a flex 8 and keep a flex 7 for a loaner mask. Basically, any of the JT masks that use the Spectra lens are solid with minor variations.

If you specifically want a magazine fed marker, the Milsig m17 is a very nice bang-for-your-buck at $300, requires no batteries like most others, which is a huge plus. Comes included with one magazine and an in-stock 13ci air tank. How many magazines you get is up to you, but you need to consider that you need some way to carry them too (belt/vest/pouches?) and at $30 a pop for extra magazines, that can add up very quickly. But aside from the extra magazines, it's a good all-in-one solution, ready to go straight from the box. Very popular right now for a good reason.

Personally don't think it's worthwhile for the money you'll spend on a "look-alike" marker that still needs a bunch of accessories.... Cheap US Army thing $200ish or expensive Empire TM series $400ish, plus 150ish for a tank, 150ish for a powered hopper... only LOOKS like a mag-fed and surprisingly can cost a lot more! (admittedly you can carry higher capacity of paintballs with hopper/pods than magazines, and the electros inside the Empire TM series are very smooth, but that's personal preference).

But of course that's if you're buying new. There's lots to be found used, and being newer there won't be so many m17s around!
My feedback: MCB / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 04-03-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Never played?!
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport