mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

PMI Piranha GTI eforce Question....

HI! I am SO new to this, it's not EVEN funny! I bought a few guns and I have been messing with them, but I can't get this Piranha to fire. It's like the solenoid is too weak. I can cock it and all the electronics seem to work. All the burst settings work, it will go fully auto, the solenoid moves, but it doesn't fire the marker. New battery, everything moves fine by hand, I have backed out the velocity screw about as far as it will go without falling out.

Thanks for ANY help you can give me.

I bought 4 markers.. The Piranha, a WGP auto cocker, a Spyder VS3 and a Spyder Special Edition. The WGP seems to work fine. I have air, but no paintballs yet, so I haven't tried the VS3. I know it has sensors inside, so with no balls, I know it won't fire. I also haven't tried the Special Edition.

I bought these at an auction and I do intend to sell them all. They all look really nice, not beat up at all.

THANKS Again!
adatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
older, working on wiser

Some spyder and clones take a true 9.6 volt to fire the solenoid. A regular 9 volt simply will not do. I can't tell you for sure that this is your problem but its a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
It was a simple question....I thought.
zacgodwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Woodsball Connoisseur

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Piranhas came with a 8.4v nimh battery. Try a new 9v, if that doesn't work let us know.
Xbox live: Grendal50
Grendal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

First off THANKS for the suggestions. I originally put a "new" battery in the marker. After the suggestions I got, I checked the battery on a meter, it read 8.81 volts... Not enough, I know. I went out and bought a new battery. This one reads 9.54 volts. The marker will fire in about 2 trigger pulls now. I did some digging and found out that there are different springs for this marker, a red (heavy tension) and a white (lighter tension). I have the RED spring... SO, I'll find a white one and try that..

THANKS AGAIN!
adatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

just in case, can you tell if the capacitor on the board has swollen?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

I worked on one a while back. Same issue. New battery helped a bit but wasn't reliable. Respringing it helped quite a bit. Seems like theres too much tension on the sear with a stong spring and the solenoid doesn't have enough guts to get it to fire.

I don't remember if there's a sear height adjustment or one for the solenoid. If there's a way to get it a hair further from the sear it might work better. Think it gives it a bit more pop when it hits vs. just pushing on it.

GL with it. I just ended up selling the one I had for parts. Might be an easier path.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
I worked on one a while back. Same issue. New battery helped a bit but wasn't reliable. Respringing it helped quite a bit. Seems like theres too much tension on the sear with a stong spring and the solenoid doesn't have enough guts to get it to fire.

I don't remember if there's a sear height adjustment or one for the solenoid. If there's a way to get it a hair further from the sear it might work better. Think it gives it a bit more pop when it hits vs. just pushing on it.

GL with it. I just ended up selling the one I had for parts. Might be an easier path.
the lazy way to do it would be to slide a coin under the noid. i think your sear wears out quicker if it's adjusted to be shorter though.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

You can polish the shoulder on the hammer as well. You don't want to give it a different angle as much as just make it shiny and slick.

You can clean the sear edge with a flat sharpening stone, keeping the edge where it is. Make sure the sear pin is clean and it moves well when the hammer is putting tension on it. When these get put away with crud on them, they have to be flushed out with alcohol and lube.

The eforce frames can do between 12 and 14 bps on a good day. It's kind of funny when a guy puts down his ailing angel to borrow a piranha, and he hands it back later and says "wow, that's alright".

Like MaD said, taking the tension off the hammer is really where it's at. I don't remember the layout out of the GTI, but it is stock with a reg, yes? As you back off the tension on the main spring, try backing off the reg and see if the velocity will come back up. You may need to lighten the valve spring.

Last edited by Spider!; 05-16-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
aka Maggy Moo

Sounds like a bad capacitor to me. Springing really shoudln't cause that big of an issue, and if it is, then your board's on it's way out anyway. I had to replace my stock board with a T-Board. If they're still around, they're not bad boards. A PITA to install, but much faster. The stock baord is capped at 12, T-Board can go up to 30. More modes and tuning options.

WTT 16" Stiffi Switch Tip for a 12" or 14" Tip
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
F*'n Gin Alley Legend

Just to add to what Zac said. I had (or still have in a case somewhere) one of those Piranhas (and mine would only work correctly using a new Energizer or Duracell battery. I would have trouble with some of the Rayovac, Panasonic and cheaper 9 volt batteries. The dollar store batteries would never work for me either.

The frame on those could really rock.

“She’s totally gross over 90% of her body. The other 10% is crazy nasty.” - Dr. Ice Cream
"Although where I come from, we call it Quartz, Parchment, Shears." - Pops

Black barrel covers will get you bonus balled.

Chris From Flurry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport