mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

A little advise needed

Looking to start playing again. Played years ago and just got the urge to play again. I still have my old spyder pilot acs with a ceramic barrel. I have an old mask but looking to get a new one. What are some recommendations for me to be needing just getting back in since I have been out of the loop. Thanks!
Chewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Well, there's no reason you can't rock the old Spyder still. Gas it up and test it, replace any bad seals and have fun. I wouldn't buy anything but a mask until you've played a bit and gotten a feel for what's out there. The conventional wisdom is not to skimp on a mask, but I've done just fine with a basic VForce. The point is to find something that feels comfortable to you, so if you can visit a store and try some on, that's ideal. Good anti-fog properties can be tricky. My inexpensive mask doesn't fog much at all since I got a thermal lens for it, but my buddy's $90 Sly Profit fogged right up on him.

Hit your local field for walk-on games, hang around the forum. There are lots of game types and gear out there and you'll develop a feel for your likes and dislikes. If you hang around here long enough you might even catch The Disease and find an interest in pump guns and Hawaiian shirts.

Oh, check out the Local Games section to see if there are any meet ups in your area. Good times.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea man that's the plan. Just had to order another battery for it. I'm going to rock it till I get better. I am willing to spend on a good tank and hopper for a decent price. What should I look at? and good paint? I'm clueless. Just been reading
Chewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I think Dye Rotors have been top of the line for awhile. They'll keep up with any gun, and they're nearly indestructible. The Virtue Spire is newer. Instead of paying $150+, I got a Halo Too for $70. It's never chopped a ball with my Mini and it cost a lot less than the other two. If you just want agitated instead of force feed, Kee (Empire) re-released the old VL Revolution under the JT brand (Kee owns a lot of the old companies now: WGP, VL, JT, Brass Eagle, R.P. Scherer, PMI, NPS, probably more--but only uses Empire, JT, and Battle Tested brand names).

As far as tanks, Ninja has a faithful following, as does Guerrilla Air (although I think I read a couple complaints about inconsistent Myth regs this year; not sure?). My philosophy is that air is air and I put it through a regulator anyway, so I just went with the best price for the size, pressure, and material I wanted. Ended up with a Crossfire fiber-wrapped 68/45000 and I have no complaints.

To put those two paragraphs in their proper context, though, last year I mostly used 50 round gravity hoppers or stock class feeds with CO2 on Nelson based or Sheridan pump guns.

Paint wise, you really can't go wrong with Valken: Redemption is great, I've seen some questionable looking Graffiti at EMR that still **** ok, and I think I've used Infinity, too.
Feedback

Last edited by Axel; 04-29-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Tank: Ninja

Hopper: most fields are capped at 10 bps, a revy should be fine or an older Halo, the Rotor's are nice, but are $150+

Paint: Nelson or Valken, alot of fields are field paint only

Mask: JT or V-Force Profiler (anything with a dual lense)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderated

I recently came back to the sport after a long break. I tried on some new masks, but in the end just kept my old Flex7s. If you are happy with your current mask, just buy a new set if thermal lenses and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ashton S

I suggest buying used when you can

Only new items to me are mask lenses and tanks

As for the paint you cannot go wrong with field paint

Ask before you buy at the field to see what the regulars prefer
Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

All good advice. If you can get to a shop, try on a few masks, but if your old one is comfy and you can get thermal lenses, no reason to change it. Where are you located?
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, etc. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Back when I was real serious in the sport, I bought a Crossfire tank, Halo hopper and E-vents mask. To this day, after sitting 5 years in storage, the tanks still has the same amount of air that was in it when I last played, the Halo turns on and runs with fresh batteries and the E-vents are still the comfiest mask I've used. Sometimes, the oldies are the goodies.
chrisrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hopper: Pinokio speed. Its about a hundred but its a kickass hopper and worth it.
Tank: pretty much any, ninja's are good but so are most other brands
Mask: V-force profiler, Dye I4(if your head isnt too big) or JT's
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport