mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 05-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

If I were going to recommend a "hybrid" woodsball/speedball decent performing relatively inexpensive gun for around the $400 new cheaper used pricepoint :
Planet Eclipse Etha with the EMC kit (for a "woodsball" look)

And unfortunately personally I would stay away from Tippmann while their customer service is as good as it has always been it has had to be recently since IMO their build quality has gone down in the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
King of the clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL17E 76 View Post
If I were going to recommend a "hybrid" woodsball/speedball decent performing relatively inexpensive gun for around the $400 new cheaper used pricepoint :
Planet Eclipse Etha with the EMC kit (for a "woodsball" look)

And unfortunately personally I would stay away from Tippmann while their customer service is as good as it has always been it has had to be recently since IMO their build quality has gone down in the last few years.

Not looking for a hybrid really.
Like I said before, I will have 2 completely separate markers for these type of events.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
King of the clueless

What does everyone think of the JT markers?
I've found a few small ones that are crazy cheap.
And I'm considering picking one up just to shoot in the back yard haha.
Like the JT Raider.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23_hellfox_23 View Post
What does everyone think of the JT markers?
I've found a few small ones that are crazy cheap.
And I'm considering picking one up just to shoot in the back yard haha.
Like the JT Raider.
Just a point of clarification what I meant by "hybrid" is that it is just as usable either on the speedball field as it is in the woods with the ECM kit in place.

The ETHA (as an example) is a decent entry level "speedball" marker (meaning stock it will shoot your semi and ramping up to 10/12 BPS) and with the EMC kit you can add the rails, sights, flashlights, "lazers", scopes, stocks etc etc etc that you want for that woodsball look and it will function equally well in both locations.
As opposed to buying a "cheap"(and honestly the price isn't that much different between them especially in the long run) blowback that looks woodsball awesome but you wouldn't ever want to use it for speedball.

As far as the JT markers go you get what you pay for if you are looking for something to play around with in the backyard with some buddies then look into the .50cal JT Splatmaster stuff it is fun, relatively inexpensive and you can deck out a bunch of people for the price of just your own .68cal setup.

If you are looking into going to a local field at a minimum of once a month and have a decent budget to spend on yourself then personally I would look at the BST here and pick up some decent mid-Entry level used gear (see example above ETHA or an AXE - MINI - Automag etc etc possibly a CF tank still in hydro that looks like something you would use and be happy with) a NEW mask after trying some on at a local shop to see what suits you best - and go out playing happy in the knowledge that in a couple of months if you don't like the game or want to "upgrade" or change for something different you can make most if not all of your money back on what you just bought as opposed to buying a bunch of "cheap" stuff that could potentially sour you on playing at all especially on REC days.

This is not to say that the Raider/JT ER2/Tippmann 98ACT or <input sub $100 marker here>....are not fun and usable but that if you have a decent working budget you will in the long run IMO be better served going the mid-Entry level route and then deciding from there if you want to upgrade, downgrade or keep playing.

Take this as you will it is all my personal opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
King of the clueless

Well I will come to the speedball road when it comes up.
Found a cool guy that's going to get me set up with a used A-5 so I've got that taken care of.
And I'm buying a Pure Energy 68/4500 tank next week.
I'll get a remote line soon after, along with my vest.
And then I'll get going on some practice with friends.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderated

There was an A5 with a Tipx for sale together in the BST forum the other day, pretty good price for the pair too, if you still want a side arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillage View Post
Equipment doesn't = Douchebaggery
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

As i've told many a new player...any marker will function the same in both the woods or on an airball field.

"put the body kit on it to use it for woodsball" WUT? Last i checked if a marker functioned, it could be used in either the woods or on a speedball field. No need to spend extra money to have two markers that both shoot the same paint at the same speed with the same relative accuracy just because you want to 'look more appropriate' or whatever. A tricked out A-5 will be just as easy of a target for the other team to hit no matter what type of field you are playing on.

If you get some semi-mechanical gun, and use it on the speedball field, you will only get better by playing against 'better' guns. Plus nothing feels better than when you beat the typical 'speedball' player with a gun they'd never think to touch.

Get a single gun, and get good with it, by using it in all situations. Just my 2 cents.

--edited for some typos---

Last edited by panhead4411; 05-09-2014 at 01:57 PM.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Bacon? Oh God yes!

Fan of EMR
Please take the following as my personal opinion and not really meant to sway your decisions. However, if you only take one point from my post, please PLEASE don't scrimp on your mask. Go to a shop, try on every mask on the wall and make a decision based on comfort. You don't want to be sitting in the woods on a hot day, sweating and wishing you had put another $30 on a better mask.
Okay, here are my opinions:
1. I found an A-5 to be heavy and unforgiving when I started to get fatigued. It just didn't gel with my "run around, dive, crawl, make a crazy play" style of playing. I realized that I was more of the "speedball marker" (loose definition) in the woods style. As was said, any marker will work anywhere.
2. I have a TPX, used it and HATED it. In my opinion, it's hard to wield and carry and just isn't worth the difficulty trying to find a way to carry it around. Especially when I get into a game and I'm running around sweating. Something strapped to my thigh eventually ends up on another part of my leg (like my ankle) and I'm sick of it.
3. Remote lines...whoa boy. Remote lines tend to restrict your movements. Shooting "off handed" is a must-have skill. If you set your remote up to only allow you to shoot with your dominant hand, you're going to be cursing yourself later.
4. Air tank. The good rule of thumb is don't carry more air than you need to shoot the paint that you carry and vice versa. If your air capacity can't shoot 6 pods of paint, don't carry 6 pods of paint. Same with air. If you can't carry 10 pods, don't buy a huge air tank.
Again, these are all opinions. Be safe out there.

I give my markers names.

WTB 8ci tank

New MCB Feedback

Old MCB Feedback
Kermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead4411 View Post
As i've told many a new player...any marker will function the same in both the woods or on an airball field.

[...]

Get a single gun, and get good with it, but using it in all situations. Just my 2 cents.
This. Find something reliable and affordable that's comfortable for you to use, and go with it. It won't care what field it's on.

And as Kermitt said, don't skimp on the mask. Try 'em on and get something thermal and comfortable.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, etc. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
King of the clueless

Sorry for the late reply guys!
Thanks for all of the input, over the last week I have gotten to go out and play a little paintball with friends and have also looked at a few peoples setups.
I looked at and shot a TiPX, Holy crap I did not think that thing was so big, I'm out haha.
I also used a remote line for the first time, and wish I had read that before hand.
It truly is cumbersome and in the way most of the time.
So all in all, basic A5 is what I'm going with.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport