mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 06-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Funny, I started playing 11 years ago. Everything is definitely different, and it's sad that all the big names left. Thankfully I had a friend who was a huge Angel fan pass away right before WDP closed. I think if he had been around to see it, he would have had a heat attack from that alone. I do see pump and classic markers on the rise, but I can't tell if that's truth, or the fact that I spend a good portion of time on here. The market demolished a vast majority of fields and companies, not to mention players. Some of my local fields that were huge before the crash, if their still around have a handful of people every weekend. We seem to be making a full circle with classic markers and designs being the new trend, but eventually well get back on where everyone has to have the latest and greatest electro, and only MCB wants classics and brass.
chrisrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

A lot of consolidation took place, not a lot of competition. A lot of fields went out of business. A lot of paint companies are out of business. Good quality paint is hard to find. Paint is mostly all small bore.

Some people still play, but more people are being effected by the bad economy, that despite what media may say, is still quite bad for the regular guy.

PSA: Please don't use photobucket to post images. When you go through one of the older picture threads and find a lot of dead photo links, it is because of photobucket. They limit the amount of bandwidth your free subscription pictures can use, and then make the photo unviewable. Please use imgur.com or another free image host that does not ruin picture threads.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Limited paint and mag fed are becoming more accepted styles of play.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-cuzz View Post
Someone with all the money thinks that having sole control of the entire market is a good idea.
This.
It's turned into Ford, Chevrolet and Chrysler, but now EVERYTHING is made in China. You can buy unnamed knock-offs of everything on "Alibaba".

The "Niche" marketers are still around and going strong, CCI/CCM/Palmer's. And still making it in the US of A.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Mr Gullible

Fan of EMR
I understand that a lot of the paintball market is being dominated by the juggernauts Kee, GI Sports and Dye, but there are a number of independents still making solid markers. Correct me if I'm wrong but AGD, Bob Long, Tiberius, GOG, Planet Eclipse, CCM, MacDev, DLX and Dangerous Power are all still independent and each of them makes a good marker at the price point they're competing at.

Here in Southern Ontario, I have a pretty good selection of paintball fields available within an hour drive. Talking with the owners, most of their income is from the renters rather than big events.

Looking at the gear owners, it's broken into a ton of different niche play styles. Some people only play pump, others only do milsim and some others only play speedball. Even within these styles you'll find pump players that want to play stock class, milsim that only want to do mag fed and speedball players that want to play uncapped.

As a result, I own way too many different markers because I want to play all of the styles.

my markers
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Noob Bait

Thanks guys, that really helps me put the pieces together. I've heard great things about the Empire Resurrection, but it's not really worth the money when you could pick up a cold fusion or CCM cocker for less on the used market.

I'm not too sad by SP getting drawn under, I always thought their markers were inefficient and overpriced. I remember their LPRs were pretty decent, but I hated the Impulse's unreliability and found the Shocker underwhelming. I think the only thing I've ever bought from Empire was paint, they made great paint. As for Tippman, well, my first marker was an SL-68 II, so I guess I'm glad they're not dead. At least now we can build our favorite markers for much less, even if it is at the cost of modern diversity.
Spoondogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
With the valve being trilogy/merlin sized the only company that really makes an upgrade valve is palmers with the LT kit.
CCM's SS25 valve will fit it.. and you can occasionally get tornado valves when you feel like paying out the nose for one

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nerd

It's funny, within the pump/limited paint realm, the consolidation hasn't been noticeable at all. Still have CCI, CCM, PPS, Carter, some pumps from the "big" companies like the Hammer 7, new Trracer, and Empire Sniper, plus a bunch of growth in the magfed side of things. Can't really complain about that.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE___MAKE THE OTHER SIDE PANICKY
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, etc. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

also worth pointing out, the market for milsim and magfed paintball is huge, and the manufacturers of that sector are *not* conglomerated with the big guys either. There is still a large portion of the industry remaining independent, although the percentage of product produced domestically is certainly quite small.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
I drink and I know things

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
CCM's SS25 valve will fit it.. and you can occasionally get tornado valves when you feel like paying out the nose for one

Tracker
I did not know an SS25 valve would fit. HMMM interesting. May have to look into purchasing one of those and possibly a reg with a gauge as I hate the CP reg my gun came with when I bought it. hmmmm SS25 valv'd trilly with a stabilizer would be a sweet setup.

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport