mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

I gauged the efficiency of my bone stock Resurrection today....it's had a few cases put through it and I've done a little HPR sweetspotting. With my 68/4500 filled to 4200 psi I shot 3 bags of paint and had 900-1000 psi remaining. The valve stem has an oring on the shaft to prevent any wasted air being used. Why bother 'upgrading' the valve?

I've owned a bunch of older, 'cooler' cockers and I have yet to be as impressed with one (especially the feel, weight and balance) as I am with this. Saying it's not worth the money is definitely subjective but I would completely disagree.
imped4now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I understand that a lot of the paintball market is being dominated by the juggernauts Kee, GI Sports and Dye, but there are a number of independents still making solid markers. Correct me if I'm wrong but AGD, Bob Long, Tiberius, GOG, Planet Eclipse, CCM, MacDev, DLX and Dangerous Power are all still independent and each of them makes a good marker at the price point they're competing at.
Gog, DLX, and GI are all owned by the Gardners. Wouldn't up those two in the same category as AGD. They are still Smart Parts, just a different name.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Isn't GI Gino Italia-something? They had a part in the .50 push, but that's all I remember of that.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Isn't GI Gino Italia-something? They had a part in the .50 push, but that's all I remember of that.
Nope, Tracker's got it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
G.I. = Gardener/Italia.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
also worth pointing out, the market for milsim and magfed paintball is huge,.
I think the milsim aspect is the biggest difference from 10 years ago.

The technology has not really changed, and has been very stagnant. The trends have moved around a bit, from hammer-driven poppets, to spools, and such. And the conglomeration of companies has led to cheaper guns, nearly all made in china now.

But the reality is, not much has really advanced, in probobly 15 years, apart from cheaper guns. I think this has bored player, which has resulted in the huge push for "retro" paintball.

To me, milsim, is just "80s retro paintball". All the paintball I played in the 80s would have been considered milsim. Likewise for the trend for "novelties", like mags, firststrikes, pistols, etc. or limited tech like stockclass, pumps, etc.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

So I've been going over the PSP rules looking for things that have changed and it appears to me that full auto is legal now, is that correct? I'm reading right from the official PDF, which can be a bit contradictory. I hope I've misunderstood this aspect of the rulebook. All mechs should still be legal, if only class designated, and some electros require a little altering. I see people putting huge switches on some older electros, why can't we still use the stock sliders?
Spoondogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I think the milsim aspect is the biggest difference from 10 years ago.

The technology has not really changed, and has been very stagnant. The trends have moved around a bit, from hammer-driven poppets, to spools, and such. And the conglomeration of companies has led to cheaper guns, nearly all made in china now.

But the reality is, not much has really advanced, in probobly 15 years, apart from cheaper guns. I think this has bored player, which has resulted in the huge push for "retro" paintball.

To me, milsim, is just "80s retro paintball". All the paintball I played in the 80s would have been considered milsim. Likewise for the trend for "novelties", like mags, firststrikes, pistols, etc. or limited tech like stockclass, pumps, etc.
Couldn't have said this better myself.
Paint and markers are cheaper.
Other than First Strike rounds nothing significant has improved though most of the magfed markers that shoot them are using tech and bolt designs that are outdated
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Another angle to look at the last 10 years is in rate of fire. From about 2k2 through 2k7 (?) you started seeing loaders and markers that would consistently do 25+ bps. For a while, I got to play all of the reactive automags I could afford to feed. Over the years, the rate of fire has been coming back down by rules. I saw 15 bps first in scenarios, then in tournaments. Then leagues went to 13.33 bps (800 rounds/min), then to 13, 12, sometimes 11. I think I saw 10 mentioned recently for a league. Fortunately, scenarios have mostly been 15 or 13. Even some of my classic mags do 14+ bps. I've been slowly strangling back the air on my RTs to keep them out of trouble.

Another thing is that HPA has continued to proliferate, and CO2 is still declining. Some fields are very thin on CO2 support, and others don't support it at all. We used to worry about efficiency with 68 cu in bottles. HPA efficiency is only an issue when you are using smaller bottles (lots of options lately), trying to throw a lot of tourney paint, or happen to play at field that doesn't have their fill stations setup very well.

Loaders have a great selection; expensive, but pretty good options. The gap in selection you hear on MCB is a 100 round force/agitated feeder, but desertT1 is trying to fill that in. Given the recent rate of fire rules, even old Halos and B2 loaders still hold up, and agitated loaders are almost better when your detents get old, or your paint gets small.

For a while, paint kept getting smaller, like .675. Seems like it has been back up on average lately.

hah, speaking of PSP and some league at 10 bps...

http://socialpaintball.com/2013/12/1...t-10-bps-2014/

An interesting thing to me about the milsim market is the number of mid-range mechanical markers. The electro milsims are still in the $1000+(++) range, which didn't really surprise me. The mech market did surprise me a little.

Last edited by Spider!; 06-23-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
psp is not full auto
it is ramping, modified automatic

the pros shoot 10 bps and everyone else shoots 12.5
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
This.
It's turned into Ford, Chevrolet and Chrysler, but now EVERYTHING is made in China. You can buy unnamed knock-offs of everything on "Alibaba".

The "Niche" marketers are still around and going strong, CCI/CCM/Palmer's. And still making it in the US of A.
Yeah. The two constants of paintball still remain. Palmers' is still making stabs and crazy brass, and Mike over at CCI is still the nicest guy in the business.

Oh, and the Phantom still rocks socks.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport