mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 06-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Playing woodsball in small woods/brush arena - new to electro. Settings?

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to this electro marker thing. I have a Bob Long Vice with a Virtue board upgrade. I have no idea what settings I should be looking at or adjusting. I think I might have accidentally changed some of them while trying to figure out how to FIRE the damn thing. (I'm used to Tippmann 98 custom).

Anyway, there's all these firing modes, eye settings, debounce settings, etc. I have no idea what's best for me, but it sounds like the 3-semi auto shot with ramping afterwards is a good mode for me (3 tracer/aiming shots, ropes for the kill). The place I play is a private military course. Air and paint are free. We compete for little prizes, etc - very fun stuff. Lots of PicatinnyPB style guys here with the remoted tippmanns and tactical style gear. I'm a big fan of the woodland camo and good positioning approach. Always worked well for me in the past.

Anyway, helping me figure out HOW THE HECK TO PROPERLY SET THIS THING IN would be of big help to me. I know I kind of bit off a bit more than I should be chewing. Bob Long markers seem to have an endless amount of customizing ability, and while that's fantastic for pros, I'm an old noob.

Halp please.
ikyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
The place I play is a private military course. Air and paint are free.
What's the address? I'm on my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Haha, it's one of the bases in New Jersey. That's about all I can say
Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
Google a bob long vice user manual and read through it, it will have everything you need to know, and bob always had a sense of humor when writing them. So you get your questions answered and a few giggles out of it!
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

redefined board manual - assuming this is your board if not see other manual below
  • to enter programming mode - hold down trigger turn on gun when the colors start to cycle release trigger - color should stop on purple(programming)
  • hold down trigger 10s led turns white to reset board to factory led will flash through the colors meaning you are now reset to factory settings
  • turn marker off
  • reenter programming mode(see above)
  • when you are in purple first default mode after entering programming this is the Firing mode setting
  • pull and hold the trigger until purple starts to flash - release
  • the LED will flash the number of times for the setting you are currently set to which should be defaulted at this point to semi auto
  • You seem to want NXL style FA which is the third mode - tap the trigger three times to enter the NXL firing mode
  • the led will then flash the number you set it to (3 purple) then rainbow then should stop on purple
  • Turn marker off setting will be saved - turn marker on to play and or test with
  • ENJOY
This is now really the only setting you should NEED to play with
any other setting will be USER/marker specific and generically shouldn't NEED to be touched.

OLED board manual -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
Oh yeah, missed the part about the different board, whoops.....
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikyn View Post
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to this electro marker thing. I have a Bob Long Vice with a Virtue board upgrade. I have no idea what settings I should be looking at or adjusting. I think I might have accidentally changed some of them while trying to figure out how to FIRE the damn thing. (I'm used to Tippmann 98 custom).

Anyway, there's all these firing modes, eye settings, debounce settings, etc. I have no idea what's best for me, but it sounds like the 3-semi auto shot with ramping afterwards is a good mode for me (3 tracer/aiming shots, ropes for the kill). The place I play is a private military course. Air and paint are free. We compete for little prizes, etc - very fun stuff. Lots of PicatinnyPB style guys here with the remoted tippmanns and tactical style gear. I'm a big fan of the woodland camo and good positioning approach. Always worked well for me in the past.

Anyway, helping me figure out HOW THE HECK TO PROPERLY SET THIS THING IN would be of big help to me. I know I kind of bit off a bit more than I should be chewing. Bob Long markers seem to have an endless amount of customizing ability, and while that's fantastic for pros, I'm an old noob.

Halp please.
Firing mode choice is up to you if your field doesn't have any rules about it. I'd ramp all day if I had free paint you lucky son of a gun

As far as other settings for the Vice:
-Dwell should be set to 6ms

-For Debounce, put the Vice in semi and start mashing the trigger. If the trigger "bounces" and the marker continues to fire even after you've let off the trigger then turn up the Debounce and the AMB (anti-mechanical-bounce) just a touch. Keep going up in small increments until it stops. If it doesn't bounce to begin with I wouldn't mess with it. My old Vice bounced like none other before I got my pressures set and turned up the debounce and AMB a bit.

-Now set up your ramping. Change the firing mode to ramping, set your capped rate of fire (I suggest 12.5 seeing as thats what PSP uses), then set your ramp start which is the minimum trigger pulls per second to activate your ramping. I like 8, you may like less. Play around with it and see what feels right.

I will say the single most important part of tuning a Vice is the pressure. You need to LPR to be spot on to get a buttery smooth and efficient shot. The pressure gauge is well worth whatever you pay.

My Feedback!

Last edited by ajohnson677; 06-25-2014 at 01:31 PM.
ajohnson677 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

So first problem - it's not a Virtue board. I bought it off a guy on here saying that it had a Virtue board installed, but apparently it isn't. I looked up what kinds of boards were installed in Vices, and it's the Ryugin board from the Gen5 Intimidator line. Kind of pissed off now - not only did it NOT come with a Virtue board now, but it also came with no friggin detents installed. I'm going to have to change my feedback...

Anyway, I found the manual for the Ryugin board. I'm just going to reset it to stock.

How do I know it's not a Virtue board? Because when I go into programming mode, it doesn't go purple. It goes solid green.

Virtue programming mode = solid purple.
Ryugin programming mode = solid green.

The LED is green when I boot into programming mode. Sending him a PM now...

Last edited by ikyn; 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
camocow200

Contact the seller first, im sure he will work out something..If its a Virtue board it should say Virtue on it ,Dont trip on him too hard, he has 100s of markers and it real hard to keep track on everything installed .Im sure its an honest mistake.I have some detente if you need them and i will ship you them free.

Ebay, camocow200 (880) 100% +
MCB 275 +
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth View Post
What's the address? I'm on my way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by woouulf View Post
Contact the seller first, im sure he will work out something..If its a Virtue board it should say Virtue on it ,Dont trip on him too hard, he has 100s of markers and it real hard to keep track on everything installed .Im sure its an honest mistake.I have some detente if you need them and i will ship you them free.

We're talking. I know he's not the kind of guy to intentionally try and pull the wool over someone's eyes, and I only provided the link for clarity of what was advertised. I'll remove it.

That being said, we're dicussing recourse. I still think he's a great guy, no hard feelings or anything. That initial feeling of anger and frustration when I realized what I had/what I was supposed to have... etc...

anyway. I'll reset it to stock when I get home and have access to my hex key set.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport