mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

Smart Parts SP1 from ANSgear. $130. Easy to maintain, select fire, compact and upgradable.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woouulf View Post
Im going to disagree with the Spyder recomendation , tolerances are just trash on the new ones and im not even sure parts and tech supports is availble since they sold out to Empire/Kee. Even outta the box most need service as in loose screws,spring jobs and leaky hard lines. the Tippmann Cronus would be a better choice for riliability and Tech support since a 2 year warrenty is hard to beat..
Not sure if Tippmann's quality control is any better these days.
I ran into a kid with a new, out-of-the-box 98 custom last Saturday and the thing would not fire at all, with or without gas. I took the gun apart and as it had all the trigger internals I tracked the problem down to either a mismanufactured sear or trigger. Thankfully there was a player there with a spare set of Alpha Black trigger guts and with a different sear the 98C functioned properly, but this is Tippmann we're talking about; their guns aren't supposed to be DOA out of the box.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Not sure if Tippmann's quality control is any better these days.
I ran into a kid with a new, out-of-the-box 98 custom last Saturday and the thing would not fire at all, with or without gas. I took the gun apart and as it had all the trigger internals I tracked the problem down to either a mismanufactured sear or trigger. Thankfully there was a player there with a spare set of Alpha Black trigger guts and with a different sear the 98C functioned properly, but this is Tippmann we're talking about; their guns aren't supposed to be DOA out of the box.
I recommended GOG already
But I would recommend Spyder over the current Tippmann products unfortunately

I haven't seen the back part of a spyder break and fly off hitting a guy in the facemask I have seen the back part of a 98 break fly off and hit a guy in the facemask - pot metal quality has actually gotten worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL17E 76 View Post
I recommended GOG already
But I would recommend Spyder over the current Tippmann products unfortunately

I haven't seen the back part of a spyder break and fly off hitting a guy in the facemask I have seen the back part of a 98 break fly off and hit a guy in the facemask - pot metal quality has actually gotten worse

Yikes. I take it the plastic backcap come out and with it the mainspring and other parts. Or was it more than that?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ebay, camocow200

I do alot of outta the box setups for a local shop and the only issues ive seen with the Cronus was the Power tubes in the first batch, since then the issue has been fixed.I havent seen the back end of a Mod 98 blown out in 8 years or so, but we dont carry any 98c except in the rental fleet and havent had that issue..Spyders on the other hand have been an issue and every box we do a complete tear down with blue locktight on the frame screws,thread seal on the hard lines and springs as needed. We also pretty much do the same with the DP line of markers as in new fittings and line and a tear down, relube..I did recomend the eNMey as 90% of those that owned one would and im sure most eNMey owners have owned a Tippmann and Spyder at some time and didnt offer those up as an option for good reason..Both companys have sold out Tippmann /GI sports and Spyder/Empire- Kee so im sure Quality will suffer but new rebranded lines of markers will surface..

WTF,why would i trade for that?

Ebay, camocow200 (1100+) + 100% positive feedback
MCB 290 pos feedback

"Mar" bro: welcome to the forum, super nice marker - hopeful for your sale.
"stargazer" It's ma'am actually, not bro.
woouulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ebay, camocow200

Quote:
Yikes. I take it the plastic backcap come out and with it the mainspring and other parts. Or was it more than that?
The metal would break where the groves held the plastic caps in the old Model 98s and some of the first gen 98Cs. It didnt happen often , but it did happen.

MCB 290 pos feedback

Old 07-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woouulf View Post
The metal would break where the groves held the plastic caps in the old Model 98s and some of the first gen 98Cs. It didnt happen often , but it did happen.
98C as to what "gen" it was no clue - woouulf - do you think their build quality in general and their QC in particular has gotten any better in say the last 8-10 years or so?

Tippmanns USED to be the oh crap I left the gun outside for the last two weeks in the rain caked in paint from the last game of the day couple drops of oil in the asa squeegee the barrel hook up the CO2 and good to play.. Nowadays I would don't think their products could withstand half the abuse without double the issues.

Quote:
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
with a chuck of the metal from the back end - now it only wound up scratching his lens as it hit at an angle but not something I would personally want to experience firsthand or be near the next time. He peed himself a little and we all had the nervous laughter afterwards once we found there was mo real damage done.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ebay, camocow200

I doubt anything has gotten better in the last 8 years or so. This was an issue back when the mod 98s a were ending and the 98c was starting out and this was when tippmanns were made in USA and they did fix the issue. Heck, i still have my spyder compact 2000 and have some fun upgrades on it and would never think of selling it, but i play in extream weather conditions 110% in the summer and to snow in the winter and i just had better luck with a Tippmann.

MCB 290 pos feedback

Old 07-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

As for Tippmann quality, check out the FT review by Hustle paintball. Not as tough as the old days (I used to see guys with A-5's covered in scratches, flung threw mud, dropped in 3 foot puddles, the works), but still seem strong.
chrisrook is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport