mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 08-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violenteddybear View Post
I would, but the mini is to cramped for me
Would this help?

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Pump whore

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
From a personal standpoint and from what I have heard the axe is the best marker for under $500 while the mini isn't too far behind it(basically the same gun and design not counting trigger assembly and board) the mini is about the same price as the proton new, and even cheaper used. See if you can find someone to let you try it out, because I think its definitely a good buy for the price.

Feedback
Mathaeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I'm not bagging on the Mini/axe, and I'm also not trying to say you shouldn't look into them, as they are great markers for the price range. IMO however, the Proton has a much nicer finish on the machined parts as well as a better quality anno job. To be honest it has a build quality equal to or better than guns way outside its price range, where I feel this is one of the areas Empire cheaped out on to lower the price. The Proton actually feels like you're holding something the builder took pride in making, not so much with the Axe and the Mini.

Performance wise, I've shot both and besides the slightly "clickier" shot on the proton due to the clapper noid, I'd rate them nearly identical. The only real downside to the Proton is availability of parts, as far as I know you're stuck going through Valken CS for parts when there are several online stores that I know keep Axe/Mini parts in stock. So far I haven't seen many problems with the protons though other than some of the keypads falling off. I fixed mine with a stronger glue and its been fine since.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
You don't have to go to Valken CS for all of the parts. I called up Mokal directly as it was easier for me, being in Canada, to talk to someone from Mississauga rather than New Jersey.

As far as I know, they're a manufacturer of aircraft parts located near Toronto's Pearson Airport. I had a question, I called them up at lunch, a real person came on the phone, and my question was answered. I'm sending my board to him for the latest flash.

If you're a Yank, it may be easier dealing with Valken. However, as a Canuck this was one of the easiest times I've ever had with a paintball company.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

To chime in on the support aspect, I found support through mokal to be slow at best. I had an issue with the ball detents due to machining issue, took over 1.5 months to get them in, and only after repeated calls. Then due to my own fault I snapped the trigger microswitch, another 2 months to get the part. That being said I called Valken and they had great support but unfortunately the two parts aren't compatible. They actually flip the microswitch to prevent the issue that I had.
Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Did Valken finally change the microswitch so it doesn't break when putting the gun together? If so, props to them. I had to spend wayyyy too much money for a replacement on a V1 Proton that they wouldn't warranty even though I bought it brand new through a dealer.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #27 (permalink)

Sorry to bump a semi old thread but also what is the effiency of the proton while using a 50/45? I couldn't find any tests or videos showing its effiency.
First thing you want to do with your balls is keep them cool, hot balls expand, and then when your balls contract again when they cool down they dont take the same shape, so you end up with odd shaped balls. Also keep your balls moving, if your balls sit on one side for more than a week your balls start to dimple, thats not good for your balls, give your bag a shake every now and again to make sure your balls are ok.

http://http://www.mcarterbrown.com/f...-feedback.html
Violenteddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #28 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I ran a 48/45 and would typically get 5 pods and a regular topped Spire off of it without issue. Obviously paint to barrel fit will play a huge factor there, I normally underbore by .003-.005.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Hustle reviewed it with an efficiency test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?v=XVyj-yL2K2E

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #30 (permalink)

Ok thanks pistol rogue!
First thing you want to do with your balls is keep them cool, hot balls expand, and then when your balls contract again when they cool down they dont take the same shape, so you end up with odd shaped balls. Also keep your balls moving, if your balls sit on one side for more than a week your balls start to dimple, thats not good for your balls, give your bag a shake every now and again to make sure your balls are ok.

http://http://www.mcarterbrown.com/f...-feedback.html
Violenteddybear is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport