mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 08-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Cheapskate

Resurfaced 90's woods baller

So here is my back story. My older brother did a rental or two with some friends around 93 or 94 and got hooked. Then he got me in the game with a Brass Eagle Stingray for Christmas. I later picked up an A.T.C.I. TM11-A pump gun from a rental field that was selling old rental pumps after updating to semi's. We played mostly woods ball at rentals and in local woods with friends. This was all up until around 99 when school (went to college in my mid 20's), work and life got in the way. Mind you I got married in 98 and and even played for my bachelor party. My wife even played a few times when we were dating. I dusted off my guns around 04 and found a hand full of some old hard as a rock paint and spattered some targets in the back yard, but the soon after sold off the guns since I hadn't played in several years.

Fast forward to now and for some reason I have the itch to play again. I have been doing some serious internet research to catch up on technology and lingo, to look up playing fields local to me and to shop for some used gear. I am hoping to find a large lot of guns and gear (cheap preferably) since I have three kids, the wife and I to out fit this time around. I am not against older guns in need of tlc either if priced right. I definitely wouldn't mind coming across the same old guns I used to have for nostalgia sake and for sure I would take an NSG Splatmaster like the one my brother picked up and let me play with a few times. Anyway wish me luck on the gear find and I hope to be in the game for a while this time.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deplorable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgunartist View Post
I definitely wouldn't mind coming across the same old guns I used to have for nostalgia sake and for sure I would take an NSG Splatmaster like the one my brother picked up and let me play with a few times. Anyway wish me luck on the gear find and I hope to be in the game for a while this time.
you can find the gear here on MCB...
but a word of warning: playing with people you don't know that have an incredible advantage over you will get sour very fast.

you may never get that old nostalgic feeling again, but try to find like-minded people to play with.
you can find pump only events on MCB rather often but the nearest one to you might be a long drive.

past & present http://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paintball Cheapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
you can find the gear here on MCB...
but a word of warning: playing with people you don't know that have an incredible advantage over you will get sour very fast.

you may never get that old nostalgic feeling again, but try to find like-minded people to play with.
you can find pump only events on MCB rather often but the nearest one to you might be a long drive.
I know exactly what your saying. I see a lot off people drop out of things when they get in over their head. I go into any competition type hobby (I also occasionally race vintage dirt bikes) with the mind set of win or lose just have fun.

Besides I like playing with a disadvantage. It keeps things interesting. Back in the day we set up a speed ball course at a buddies house when he had a family of out of state friends visiting. To even things out we gave the new players the better semi's and pumps and I took the splatmaster. Not to toot my own horn but I did very well against everyone else.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Your mindset will fit in just fine around here. We're suckers for the old, outdated and nostalgic shiny things from the old days. It sounds to me like you'll want to keep an eye on the local games section to meet up with other like minded players around here. In my experience, I have a lot more fun playing with guys I know with similar play styles than I do in open walk-on games. Welcome!
My Feedback Thread
JonM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

this guy local to my is sellin a stingray pump!
never saw one till today...only cause i was never looking at pumps....i think he wants like 30 bucks for the darn thing
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKNIGHT01 View Post
never saw one till today...only cause i was never looking at pumps....i think he wants like 30 bucks for the darn thing
Tigershark, not Stingray pump. Worth maybe $15.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I have a tm11 in storage that I used from time to time to get some looks. Won't shoot 280 on hpa without some spring work but still fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mechs For Sale
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Old Slow Fat Guy

I am sure you already know this from you research... Most paint has shrunk. Be aware that older equipment may need some thing special to avoid rollouts. For fixed barrels look into wedgets and fingernail polish. For guns with removable barrels look into barrel kits or better yet, Freak barrels.

Going back to lurker mode.

--

Un2XS Feedback

The (Infamous) Woodsball Manifesto by Rob "Tyger" Rubin

Real heros don't wear spandex. - Mel Gibson

Nothing is impossible. Some things just take longer. - David Chase
Un2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Paintball Cheapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKNIGHT01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Tigershark, not Stingray pump. Worth maybe $15.
Yea the Stingray was a semi and the Tigershark was a pump. My buddy had the T-shark back in the day. Not sure why it gets such a bad rap these days. It was a decent pump gun back then.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Go to the local and play a day of rental before you jump feet first into looking for a box of Stingrays. Paintball has come a LONG way since then. Nostalgia or not, don't limit yourself to an obsolete low quality marker with all the old stuff that is available cheap now.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport