mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cyborg

I'd go with a Spyder or a Tippmann A5. They are great beginner guns and very upgradeable down the road. 90% of the fun is tinkering to your liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder

I had to report your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
There's a joke there somewhere...
Because that is funny on several levels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
that's not fair. if they are not smart enough, or have no knowledge of the ramifications of their stupidity, then they should pay the price.
super-cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Fear the Beer!

I'd buy the package in my "Sig".

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkson View Post
After I found out I had a screw loose, he gave me a good short screw. Filled my hole completely.
forstgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah, I say that many of us would leave speed off the list because many of us play pump. I have pumps and semis, and the semis get very little use. And (personally) when I do shoot semi, I only still shoots very short bursts and single balls.

New players often get hung up on speed. For me, deciding the style you'd like to play... you mentioned woodsball... for woodsball, I LOVE my Minimag. It's small, light, runs on CO2 or HPA easily, is accurate and needs little to no maintenance. Love it.

For walk on/speedball, I love my SC Phantom. I prefer to play pump on speedball fields because you don't give your position away as easily. It's easy to follow a stream of paint back to the shooter.. a single ball, not so much.

I don't play airball. The times I have, again, I went to my Phantom.

I used to be a huge Sheridan fan, but after playing with many, many different guns, I found that an SC Phantom with a stock was ergonomically best for me.

Try as many different things as you can... try different play styles, see if you really want to lay paint, or sneak around the field, then make your purchase.

I will also back the purchase of a Tippmann 98C. It has more options than many, as a mech, it is solid as a rock, with one of the e kits (grip or bolt) it can lay paint with not much investment into upgrades. It's also one of the simplest designs ever, so tearing it down and putting it back together is a great learning experience of some of the basics of how a PB marker works.

The best advice I can give, and see on the forums is what I stated earlier... go try as many different setups as you can, be it in a game or in a shop. You'll find that balance, geometry, length, weight, feed direction and myriad other aspects will change the way you feel about a marker.

The other train of thought is that You've found MCB. Within the next 6 months you'll have 10 markers in your collection, and the question will turn to "What would I like to play with today?" so don't fret too much over the first one...

EDIT: I also vouch for buying used. A new marker can take a couple of thousand shots for the springs and seals to be content. Used = broken in NOT worn out. Especially true with Pumps and Palmer's regulators. It takes many, many days of play to fire enough paint to break in a new regulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
But what it all comes down to is if your having fun. If your not having fun playing against people using full auto with a pump, then switch to a semi; fun is the only thing that really matters in paintball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrtal View Post
rub their little faces right in their own piss while yelling NO NO NO as loud as you can while smacking them on the back of the head.

Last edited by spawnsharks; 09-18-2008 at 12:02 AM.
spawnsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

I also see that you're in my age range and area. I live in San Francisco, am 38 and go out frequently. Come along with me and play. Join us for Pump Day in Sacramento the last weekend of the month... don't run out and buy something just yet... Lets go play this weekend and you can try a couple of my markers out. I have 2 Automags, 2 Phantoms and a PGP in working order right now. You're welcome to come play and use any of them.

I might even be able to arrange an electro for you to try from some of my friends around here.

PM me if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
But what it all comes down to is if your having fun. If your not having fun playing against people using full auto with a pump, then switch to a semi; fun is the only thing that really matters in paintball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrtal View Post
rub their little faces right in their own piss while yelling NO NO NO as loud as you can while smacking them on the back of the head.
spawnsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Speed isnt a big thing to me because I know I can take my mech spyder, or SL-68(pump) or my stock class phantom out there and have a blast and have even more rewarding elims.

Speed is not everything. A well placed round right at the edge or just past on a bunker can scare your opposition back into their bunker faster than a string of rounds hitting dead center on a bunker. This can be done with a semi or a pump.

Not to sound like I am full of it but everytime I had hit the field with my eblade I won. And frankly I got tired of it and found another way to play and have as much or much more fun. For me the answer was and is stock class. I have since whittled down most of my gear to very few semi autos a couple of open class pumps and some pure stock class stuff.

I no longer have to pay field admission and buy cases or even a case of paint to play, Now I buy a bag of paint and share it with a few friends. At the end of a full day when weve played 20-30 games theres usually paint left over and thats with three people using out of the same bag.

I know none of this answers your question but perhaps it helps shed some light on why speed dosnt matter so much.

For the record if you go SC youre gonna suck for the first few days but that first elim you get, man nothing feels better than a hard fought for elim.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:07 AM   #26 (permalink)

All guns are going to have the same range and accuracy.

An invert mini would be a nice choice, either that or a dye SLG.

They are both cocker threaded, so you can find lots of barrels for them. Plus, they will leave you with plenty of money left over to buy a nice mask, a nice hopper, air tank and pod pack.
victor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #27 (permalink)

spyder vs2
proto rail
icd freestyle 160 nib off ebay
if you must have a woods ball gun sp-1
i would start pump though in that case phantom

Last edited by pb_sc; 10-16-2008 at 04:18 PM.
pb_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #28 (permalink)

promaster - mini - a nice pump gun!!! - TAC ONE/automag<<

if I had $500 I know the exact person who would get that money in his pocket and the exact pump gun I would have in my hand!!!

play with honor & courage, but most of all play to have FUN! - My feedback
paintball is a disease I've suffered from since 1988...
Explosive aka "X" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well unless you are just looking to carry around a bunch of weight for "the look", my suggestion would be the Invert Mini.

They are very quiet, which will come in handy for woodsball. Fully adjustable stock board, so that you can tune to the speed and setting you like from semi to full auto. Air efficent and light so you won't have to make trips out of the woods a lot, or get tired of carrying it. It is also simple and easy to maintain.

Used marker should run you ~$250, new for ~$325, and will still leave you enough money for a tank, hopper, and goggles.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs View Post
If you wan an electro? Get a Bob Long Protege. Less than 500 new and it rocks.
For sure. Basically a Timmy so there's a lot of people out there that can help him with maintaining his marker. I'd also throw in PE Eteks into that same genre.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport