mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

how young is to young

ok how young is to young to start playing paint ball. i have a 9 year old little brother that i recently got a paint ball gun for. i i got him a only cost me 55 bucks for a hole set nice gun. but how old does he have to be to play at most places i mean he can shot and all that but he has never been hit with a paint ball and i am woried that he will cry. how is a good way to get him used to getting hit and get him playing? just let me know please.

thanks for the help

Justin
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Distruster of Joggers

You would probably have to play outlawball as most playing fields are limited by inusurance so that 12 or 11 is the lowest age allowable.

I know 9 year olds that have played just fine and I also know 13 year olds that should not have played, it all depends on maturity (or rather lack there off). At that age I find taking a large rubber mallet along is very useful everytime they take their googles off or do something unsafe 'remind' them about the mistake.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

LOL i figured that there was some kind of legal limitation to the age but i wasnt sure. the rubber mallet sounds like a good idea. LOL. any sugestions on how to get him used to the hits?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

This is a common question. There is no correct answer aside from “it depends”.

My son started playing at 8 and was fine. He has a friend who played at our field when his friend was 15 and he was NOT ready to play. He played a couple games and then stated he was “sick”. Later he admitted he just didn’t like being hit with paintballs.

A good general rule is first make sure the paintball mask fits properly. If it does not, the child is too small to play.

Another rule would be if the child can understand the marker and how to use it, as well as hold and shoot it properly. And can the child understand and obey all safety rules.

Another good rule of thumb is that if you play a “slow” game with the child and hit him at least once and he/she is still interested, keep playing.

Folks must remember that children are NOT adults or even teenagers. They should not be put in an extremely competitive situation with other players right off the bat.

Also young players should be walked through the game. Have them pair up with a more seasoned player and have that player guide and coach the child for a while. And that does not mean a while in ONE game, but until the child shows he/she knows the safety rules and can obey them, knows the object of the game and can hold their own, and can demonstrate they will not be hurt and are ready for the fact they will get hit.

None of us online can determine if anyone being posted about is “ready”. Only those who know the child and all circumstances can make that determination.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks that gives me a lot to look at for him i was thinking just turn the gun voacity down and hit him with it then jsut turn it up steady till he was used to it LOL. but your idea sounds alot better. Thanks alot
Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

my response before my computer crashed...

well, the best way to determine if he is too young to play is to call the field and ask.....

you will definitely need to have a parent go with you and stay at the filed though.

before he ever airs up and fires that sucker though, you will want to drill saftey into his sponge-like brain. teach him about muzzle control, why he should have a barrel bag on it at all times, even if not loaded and most importantly, why he should never, EVER take his mask off on the field.

now, to get him used to being shot....

you can do what i'm doing with my little brother (12) who wants to play... get him to put a mask and a protector for his 'boys' on, the give him a double tap to center mass (getting hit in the chest hurts the least, but dial your marker down to around 220) this may not work for you, because your brother may not be the type who would take that well

*or*

you could practice doing 'runthroughs' while under fire if you have a big enough/safe enough backyard. let him shoot at you for a few runs, then tell him it's 'his turn' hit him once or twice, max. and have your marker dialed down.

why dial it down? expectation of it to hurt alot is what's gonna freak him out. by providing a shock, and a bit of a welt, he will get used to being 'hit', when the shock factor is gone, he will probably enjoy actually playing so much he won't notice the extra 30-60fps extra when on the field

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Walrus

Well, you can do what we did to my wife (she was my finacee at the time). About 4 years ago at the annual turkey shoot my brother has, I was unfortunately in a cast and walking boot so I couldn't play. My wife stepped up and wanted to play and I was most proud of her. Unfortunately it was really cold and spitting snow so they only played a few games. This was her first time playing and she really didn't shoot anyone or get shot. So at the end of the game she asked me if I would shoot her so she could feel what it felt like! I stepped up and tried to shoot her, but I didn't have enough air in the tank to get the ball more than 10 feet. (She was at 20' and moving ever so slowly further out ) So I let my bro shoot her in the butt at around 30 feet! I mean, what are brothers for! She said it stung just a bit, but it wasn't that bad.

I would suggest going in the backyard and getting a good 25' or more away from each other and let him shoot your first. Let him get the idea of hitting some one. Then (to make it fair) you get to shoot him at the same distance. This is a cheesey, but effective way to get that initial shot over with. And of course be nice, shoot him somewhere on his body like the arm/butt/leg so it won't be as bad.

My Gallery

History: Line SI Bushmaster; PMI-3; VMX; '97 Autococker; KP-3; Enforcer 2(possible SWARM); Spyder Sonix; Monteneel Z-1; PGP 2K; BBT Typhoon; 2k1 SP Impulse; SP MiniMag; another PMI-3; VM-Magnum; Blazer #153; Pump MiniMag; Thrasher ULE Emag; Cool Camo Micromag; '94-'95(?) Evolution Minicocker; '95 Evolution Autococker; Blazer #710; CNC X-Mag; Gold Rush Micromag; Jungle Sunset Micromag; Wild Tiger Micromag
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

and to add to that...

my little brother is rather mature for his age, i have no qualms about putting a marker in his hands, he has even asked me to shoot him so he knows what it feels like. (so i'm not just a prick who wants to shoot his little brother )

that being said, Shartley has it right....

and if you are able to play at a field with him, make sure he is on your team the first few times, and try to play with him and support what he is doing on the field (he moves up, you give covering fire)

make sure he knows the complete operation of his marker though, *you* keep air and paintballs away from him unless he is at the field though.. and even there, either you or one of your parents should be airing up/degassing his marker.

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to Snyiper Send a message via Yahoo to Snyiper

When my son played his first game he was nervous but he had someone with him so they tend to try and tough it out but just go slow and let them know its ok to not like being hit it is not for everyone!!

Players "Play the game with Honor and Dignity or just wipe cause you suck"
Snyiper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport