mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 02-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Sir Brass

I'd like to chime in with my agreement about involvement.

I started playing when I was almost 18 and at first my dad was against it (not vehemently, he just didn't see the point and thought it was a waste of my time and money), but my mother saw it as a good way for me to get out of the house when it wasn't swim team season. So, my dad caved, but took no interest. He warmed up eventually, but that expressed itself as "did you have fun? that's good." and listened when I'd tell field stories and such. Still won't play, though (and now he has a reason: his cyatica (sp?) bothers him too much for him to be that active all at once lest he really wants to suffer later in the day). Then again, I've been away from home during most of my time playing paintball (didn't get REALLY into the sport till I was in college). Still, if there's one thing that could improve the past pball experiences it would have been if my dad had been out there with me on the field (or even just there at the field taking pictures or something) playing.

So, to fathers: if you child wants to play and continues to show interest/love for the sport, one of the BEST things you can do to help strengthen the bond you have with them is to play with them. Get out there and take hits with/from them, and dish it out equally. Just get out there and have fun WITH them. Something I really envy when I see it is a father/son or father/daughter pair coming off the field equally dirty or covered in paint (or the dad being lit up, and his kid having that gleeful grin of having pulled an amazing elimination), and both smiling. It's a wonderful gift to give your child.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a may lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
I just love being able to kill absolutely every living thing in a small room, including myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
We have a conscience, Carter be thy name.

Proud owner of:
Palmer's aluminum + brass...... two of 'em <3
Oh....and some mags too
Sir Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosepatrol View Post
The one interesting theme I found in this theme in this thread is everyone suggesting semi's to start on with kids. My boys have yet to fire a semi. They have only shot pumps for practise in the backyard, and their first game coming up will be pumps only. I believe this to be a better way to introduce kids to paintball. Slower pace, better grasp of tactics and teamwork, and a lot less paint in the air. Not to mention the cost factor, Anyone starting out should try to have their kids in a pump only night at their field.
I totally agree, you have to start with the fundimentals ( well at least if your going to raise kids with the same respect and appriciation for the sport we share) It mite sound strange but for the young ones a bigger marker is a little better too, not only does it give alittle more hard cover, but they will deffinitly build upper body strenth. I hope this thread doesnt evolve into how to genetically create the perfect paintball kid !
-RALPH
collectorandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Sir Brass

Just make sure you get them a good pump. It may even be more expensive if you buy a new GOOD pump compared to buying a GOOD new semi (like an m98). However, the investment is worth it.

My FIRST pump experience was with a BE Blade. Turned me off to pump for so long, and even NOW I've only recently REALLY started playing alot more pump than I ever did before. It took me that long to build my skills up such that that back-of-mind bad experience (blade never worked right, and when it did, the ball dropped after 10ft and didn't break.....PATHETIC) faded and let me really go after developing my pump skills.

So, if you want them to start out with a pump, give them a QUALITY pump that you know will work and be relatively easy to maintain. And then let them get used to playing with it.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a may lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
I just love being able to kill absolutely every living thing in a small room, including myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
We have a conscience, Carter be thy name.

Proud owner of:
Palmer's aluminum + brass...... two of 'em <3
Oh....and some mags too
Sir Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rec Poster

[QUOTE=Sir Brass;324125]Just make sure you get them a good pump. It may even be more expensive if you buy a new GOOD pump compared to buying a GOOD new semi (like an m98). However, the investment is worth it.

My FIRST pump experience was with a BE Blade. Turned me off to pump for so long, [QUOTE]

I've been playing so long the only affordable guns were pumps! I agree it's a great way to start and practice making your shots count as opposed to "spray & pray"; however, it's hard to be the only kid out there with a pump when all the little agglets (and big Aggs) are using semi's....

As for affordable, besides Brass Eagle, who should be commended for still producing a pump, you can still buy the Maverick for under $100 new, which is a much better weapon!

I did see a guy using a Blade during a BIG game last month and he was having a field day with it! More power to him!

I'm still using my Line SI Skrimish SI and my PGP occasionally!
But I must admit, my new Invert Mini is very nice and extremely accurate and quiet.

Play often, play safe!
Kevin the Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

I'm really glad to see this thread is still alive. It makes me feel good seeing all the great advice people are putting out. Thanks once again for everyones help. Yes I feel pump is a great way to start out teaching kids.
Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Goggles on, or get out.

I am a player in my early twenties and I go to the field to play, and I'm sick of fretting over getting lawsuits every time some moron walks around a game with his face exposed. My pet peeve with goggles go with everybody, not just kids. I see people older than me with their masks off inside a field all the time.

For your children's safety, make sure they wear good masks ($50 range seems to be adequet, JT and Proto are good brands in that range) and the field is strict about their velocity limit. Often, the refs are just kids. Watch out for incompetent refs and go to the field with the least of them.

Gun is overrated. $200 and under is good for beginners, and the kid should try a rental/borrow from a friend the first time to see if he/she likes the sport enough to invest. Don't fall for the impulsive "can I have that $500 Shocker? it shoots better!" crap. If the kid is still acting that immature, nothing good can come from him having that gun.

Understand that a gun is an equipment and needs routine maintenance.

A paintball can take out a kid's eye as easily as a grown-ups.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Fully gruntled

Lots of great advice here. One of the things I enjoyed a lot over the years was seeing parents playing with their kids (usually dads, but not always). As we all know, teenagers and their parents often have trouble keeping the lines of communication open. One reason why is that there is less and less common ground based on shared interests. Paintball is great in helping in that role as it provides an easy way to spend a memorable day together.

Another point that makes paintball great for family outings is that it doesn't require a special skill set to play and have fun. (DISCLAIMER: I'm talking about at the walk-on, rec / woods- ball level.) Even bowling requires more sport-specific skills of the beginner to not feel like an idiot, and any walk-on rental player stands a fairly good chance of shooting someone his first day out.

In addition to all the other good advice in this thread, I'd like to add that it's a good idea to check the paintballs before you buy. If they are visibly disfigured (out of round, dimpled, wet with broken paint, any of which will make it essentially impossible for the balls to fly straight.), I'd recommend buying a different box, or if necessary, getting the next grade up. Nothing spoils a day of paintball faster than bad paint.

Now that MCB is connected with Paintball News, maybe someone could compile all the advice in this thread into an article and get it to them for publication? It seems that a free newspaper that a would-be player can grab at his local shop and hand to a parent has at least as good a chance of making a difference as trying to get said parent to log onto here.

One final note about the gun safety training: One of the fundamentals of gun safety is to always treat a gun as if it were loaded. There was a case here in Japan a few years ago on one of the US Military rec-ball fields where two 12-year-olds were fooling with their markers in the staging area. They hadn't been given any paint yet, so saw no need for a barrel sock.

Figuring a blast of CO2 by itself was harmless, one of the kids shot his friend in the face. At close range (point blank), the pressure was enough to actually force the eyeball from its socket. The kid was rushed to the hospital, but doctors were unfortunately unable to save it. 12 years old.

My feedback

May I ask you to donate to help my brother Adam?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

a bad example of parents just "dropping off" the kid: me, my youngest son, and afew friends got together at a local paintball park fo a day of spraying paint.during a game,i and a couple of the guys that had been eliminated,were hanging out in the dead box.we noticed a kid(about 10yro) was curled up in the corner of a bunker w/ another older kid.they were the last 2 on their team remaining vs about 4 on the other team. the older kid was screaming at the younger to get up and shoot.the older kid was iliminated,leaving the younger one (still curled up) by himself.several of noticed that the younger kid was crying and yelling for the opposing team to stop shooting,opposing team did not hear him.about 4 of use had to run out and get the younger kid as well as get the other team to stop shooting.poor kid was very scared and shaking so bad that he shot himself in the hand twice while tring to put on his barrel bag.we ended up siting out a few games with him while he waited for his mom to come pick him up. this kid was not ready for this type of action by himself let alone at all
wickedlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

wickedlester,
Apparently a KISS fan by the player name used. Anyway,that was a fine example of older players protecting the younger players. Apperantly the refs weren't doing their jobs. This is an example of what we all have to do everytime we play,watch out for the younger and beginner players.
Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #30 (permalink)

you are correct on two fronts: 1) i am a KISS fan 2) no ref's were to be found,thats why i have'nt been back
wickedlester is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport