mcarterbrown.com

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

It is easy to tell which one popped. Just fill the tank and the gas will escape out of the blown burst disk. Usually its the higher rated burst disk that blows.
You have serious problems Himura. I remember when I first started buying guns I would oogle your collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I'm sad to say I've rejected some pretty choice poon before. Sometimes little Mayvik (brain) gets the better of big Mayvik (peen). I blame it on the a..aha ha ah...ah ah alcohol.
My MCB Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...tml#post331126
himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PuppetMaster189 Send a message via Skype™ to PuppetMaster189

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
Don't be too worried about one going, especially with compressed air. What you should be worried about is the fill station connector popping off the fill nipple, it's just as loud, and happens a lot more frequently. Make sure when people are filling tanks that it goes all the way on.
Agreed. Make sure the customers keep a firm grip on the fill hose so if it does, by some chance, pop off the fill nipple, the hose won't flail wildly and possibly injure someone.
PuppetMaster189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0UN1N View Post
there aren't really any safety concerns (ie no loss of limbs or life or anything like that) it's just loud. after you've heard one go, you know exactly what happened.
They sure scare the cat real good when they go too.
One went on a CO2 tank and our cat went from curled up asleep on the couch to hiding under it before I even started jumping from the surprise.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

How about a little clarification for you, since there are some details that are still being missed.

the unified burst disc assembly currently in use is made from a 3/8-28 threaded bolt that is hollowed out. A brass or copper disc is pressed into the bottom of the bolt with a retaining collar. the head of the bolt is drilled through to allow gas to vent in opposite directions to prevent the bottle from spinning violently when the disc ruptures. The other purpose is to prevent any pieces of the disc itself from being ejected from the tank.

How a burst disc ruptures is fairly simple. If you were to hold a piece of plastic wrap up to your mouth and blow out until it pops, that's exactly what a burst disc does. The air pressure in your tank pushes against the disc until the disc fails, and then it just pops.

The discs themselves are required to be rated somewhere around -20%/+0%; meaning that they can rupture anywhere from 20% under their rating up to their actual rating. A burst disc rated at 1800psi should ALWAYS rupture before 1800 psi is reached.

Depending on the cylinder in use, the majority of burst discs will be rated at the test pressure of the cylinder.

This means:
CO2 cylinders rated for 1800psi = 3k Psi burst disc
3k HPA cylinder = 5k psi burst disc
4.5k HPA cylinder = 7.5k burst disc

You can always use a lower rated disc if you want the added safety, but NEVER a disc rated for more. It's not adviseable to use lower rated discs though due to the -20/+0 margin. (a 5k disc WILL rupture on a 4.5k tank. a 3k disc on a 3k tank will rarely survive a full fill.)

The reason for this rating is because burst discs will weaken over time from the stress of the cylinder being pressurized, making them more likely to fail at lower pressures, the older they get.

Many HPA regs also have a 2nd burst disc, commonly rated at 1800psi. This is for the safety of your marker, and yourself. When regulators fail, the amount of pressure they release can rapidly increase, causing severe damage to markers and persons. The 1800psi disc is designed as a safety margin to prevent your tanks full 4500 psi being dumped into your marker and causing it to explode.

When the 1800 psi disc ruptures, it means your regulator is no longer functioning correctly and needs to be serviced for safety.

Burst discs ARE a user serviceable item. It only takes about 9 ft-lbs of torque to properly seal them. The easiest method I've found, since torque wrenches rarely go that low, is to tighten the burst disc until it just gets snug, then fill the tank. the burst disc WILL leak. Tighten the disc slowly just until the leaking stops.

Coop, your crossfire regs should have an 1800psi and a 5k burst disc on them, not 3k's.

Hope this helps a little.
sartek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Coop

That was highly informative! As are the links in your sig!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this up!
- Google - YouTube - MySpace - Facebook - Twitter -
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hey Coop- if you missed my reply in the other thread... Nother burst disk question
Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Coop

Also good stuff! Thanks for the link!
- Google - YouTube - MySpace - Facebook - Twitter -
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
What is the recommended course of action for when the 1800 disc pops on a 4500 crossfire tank? Send it back to crossfire for servicing?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

Yes. If the 1800 pops, something is wrong inside your reg, and Crossfire regs are not user serviceable.
sartek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
So I sent it in but I have no idea why the reg failed. It popped moments after being filled so did the guy who filled it kill my tank?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport