mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Coop

Burst Disks

In years of playing, there's one thing I have no idea about and it's burst disks. I know they're there, and I have a rough idea of how they work, but tell me about the nitty gritty!

At the field I'm running (And this is sad that I get to call myself a field owner and have never burst a burst disk, replaced a burst disk, or otherwise had to service 'em, but I want to be prepared for everything!) we have a fleet of 20 DXS 3000/48 tanks with 1800PSI Burst Disks.

How about I start with what I know and if you kind folks would fill in the blanks, I would highly appreciate it.

When the pressure of a tank exceeds the rating of the burst disk (In the example of our field's tanks, would that be 1800psi over 3000, or am I already misunderstanding it?), the disk (pops, explodes, discharges?) allowing the tank to go back down to safe pressure limits. The burst disk must then be replaced. Is this a user serviceable component? I've seen replacements for sale in wal-mart, or at online retailers. Of course, no threadlock should be used anywhere near the tank, to include the burst disk.

When a burst disk does pop, does that entire unit pop out of the tank? Does it vent out of the 2 holes on the sides of the "nut"? How exactly does it pop. Basically, are there occupational hazards to being around one when it pops other than the noise?

Other than that, as the unelected airsmith of the field (Learning quickly!) what else should I know about burst disks? I've been playing on and off since 1999 and I've never popped one. I've heard one popping and it was loud (Didn't help that it was indoors in a small store).

This here is handy on the operation: Rupture disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but would probably benefit from a picture of an intact and a blown burst disk... unless there's no physical external change in the device's appearance.
- Google - YouTube - MySpace - Facebook - Twitter -
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

The burst disk itself is basically a one unit piece with a copper disk that is designed to burst when the pressure reaches a certain point. Well it has been a while but the 1800 PSI Burst disks on compressed air tanks are for the tank regulator. If it blows, it usually means that the tank reg need to be rebuilt. If it is a 3000 PSI tank, I believe it should have a 5000 PSI Burst disk and if it blows, then you simply replace it. If it is a 4500 PSI tank, then I believe it has a 7500 PSI Burst disk and it can also be replaced if it blows. A C02 tank uses a 3000 PSI Burst disk.
You have serious problems Himura. I remember when I first started buying guns I would oogle your collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I'm sad to say I've rejected some pretty choice poon before. Sometimes little Mayvik (brain) gets the better of big Mayvik (peen). I blame it on the a..aha ha ah...ah ah alcohol.
My MCB Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...tml#post331126
himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

You actually have 2 burst disks on your tanks. There is a high pressure one which should be in the 4.5 k range (I'm not 100% and don't have one in front of me) which is designed to fail in the event if your 3k tanks gets over pressureized. There is a 1.8k one that is designed to fail if the regulator fails on the tank. They stick out and shoul be clearly labeled with a number then "K" this is the pressure it's designed to fail at. So the 1.8K you are looking at is designed to fail at 1800 psi. PM me and I'll give you my number if you need more info owner to owner.
Tug

Edit- Himurax is mostly correct except a CO2 tank should have a 1.8 disk on it. You should also be able to get them from nearly every PB wholesaler

I had a 4500 psi tank pop a disk on me at 4200 lbs. It turns out it was the first fill on a tank he bought on E-bay. I wasn't happy it was the second tank I ever filled as the owner and I was holding it in my hands when it happened.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
The disc on my CP reg popped on the first day of use. First time that's ever happened to me.

It's just loud, not really dangerous. CO2 tanks get cold when they pop.
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboater203 View Post

Edit- Himurax is mostly correct except a CO2 tank should have a 1.8 disk on it. You should also be able to get them from nearly every PB wholesaler.
Depends on the CO2 tank, some have a 3K burst disk.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

The 3k burst disks for C02 tanks is their max pressure. I believe they used to be marked at 1.8K. They will both blow if you overfill a C02 tank or if the tank gets too warm. I believe most C02 tanks nowadays come with the 3k burst disks. Not all of the Compressed air regs come with 2 burst disks anymore. The Guerilla air Myth regs only have one.
You have serious problems Himura. I remember when I first started buying guns I would oogle your collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I'm sad to say I've rejected some pretty choice poon before. Sometimes little Mayvik (brain) gets the better of big Mayvik (peen). I blame it on the a..aha ha ah...ah ah alcohol.
My MCB Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...tml#post331126
himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I bought a crossfire steel tank and the first fill, like 3100 on a 3000 tank, it busted when it was inside a cabinet and was loud as ****

MCB feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
there aren't really any safety concerns (ie no loss of limbs or life or anything like that) it's just loud. after you've heard one go, you know exactly what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
thats why i bring my own balls. and if they dont play nice, i play with myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Mar, I want to fondle your wood.
Zapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Coop

Very informative, folks. Thank you so much for filling this knowledge gap in!

My personal tank, an aluminum Catalina Cylinder with Crossfire reg has a 3000psi and an 1800psi burst disk. So the 1800 pops when the reg is damaged/faulty or otherwise needs a rebuild. The 3000 pops when the tank is filled above capacity. The loud noise indicates the failure of a burst disk. Will I physically be able to tell which one has failed?

Is it bad that I've never blown a burst disk yet? Sure, I'm not looking forward to it and all, but this past weekend at work it was on my mind while I filled up all 20 of our tanks straight off the air compressor (we're getting bulk cylinders soon!). It must have been entertaining to watch me hold the cylinders at arms length while paying attention to both the compressor and the meter on the tank to ensure I was doing it right.
- Google - YouTube - MySpace - Facebook - Twitter -
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Don't be too worried about one going, especially with compressed air. What you should be worried about is the fill station connector popping off the fill nipple, it's just as loud, and happens a lot more frequently. Make sure when people are filling tanks that it goes all the way on.
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport