mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I know guys who have played for years and are still using their base Ion. The problem is a lot of people upgrade for the sake of upgrading, and there are thousands of upgraded ions out there so you'll never recoup any money if you want to sell it and move on. There's nothing wrong with upgrading one, just want you to be aware of how the whole thing works.

If you feel the urge for something new you could try something like a Dangerous Power Fusion, great shooting markers and no need for upgrades at all. Buying used is a great way to go as well, electronic paintball guns have horrible depreciation.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks alot guys I definitely plan on driving it into the ground, before I try to upgrade or move on with a different gun. I play mainly speedball and it does fine*shrug* I seem to pump out balls pretty fast with my new hopper that I got.
Eonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to chillinspyder2

CCM Fan
I (like alot of people) owned and played with an ion at one point in time... The two "upgrades" I found most helpful (if you're already running HPA and a decent hopper), are a clamping feedneck, and an on/off. Really, anything besides that is not worth your time. The stock ion feedneck is really just a pain in the ***. A on/off can be useful for the times when you're not playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker-Monkey View Post
The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse would be pretending I am not excited.
MCB Feedback.
Old Feedback + New Feedback
chillinspyder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I am surprised that no one has recommended an upgraded barrel. I haven't shot a stock ION barrel but my understanding is that an aftermarket barrel will have a better polish on it and will shoot more accurately. A very conservative friend of mine (who sells paintball stuff) said the only thing I needed for my vibe was a barrel. You could spend about $30 on a SP progressive or about $60 on an All American or potentially find a used Freak kit for a little more than that.

So my recommendations are

-Hopper
-HPA
-Barrel
-Feedneck

Don't worry about the board or any cosmetic upgrades. Just practice practice practice and shoot people in the face.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

haha yea for sure. The feedneck is silly, I bought a halo b loader with a rip drive. It was just 25 bucks on ebay and it feeds the balls VERY fast, and I like it, but the first time I used it I slid into a bunker and it shot right off so I bought the clamping feedneck right away.
Eonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
God In Human Form

Send a message via AIM to Weecrack

Alot of people have Problems cause its Made By Smart Farts I Mean Parts....

Anyways...

You gotta get a feel for the marker you play with , you gotta learn everything about it , inside and out, at least i feel you should....

Master it for what it is, a marker like that , You def want some sort of motorized hopper, A Vl, Ricochet , Or a egg2 would be sufficient, you dont need a New 100 doallr hopper, I prefer my Ricochet myself, People say haol , eh to eat there own...

Any other upgrades, id say is a barrel, thats it, unless your doin tournament play, you dot need to go overboard....
Old 05-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Spoon and Weecrack hit on good points about the barrel.

I LOVE my freak kit. Yeah, it's made by smart parts, but who cares. I can get a back for it in just about any threading, I have tips already and all of the inserts. Makes it a VERY versatile barrel system. You can get a Deadly wind barrel that takes the inserts, or a stiffi tip. Some people hate freak kits, but I'm a fan. Some will argue against barrel kits. I'm a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
A good barrel kit is helpful, but like almost everyone above me said, its not the gun its the player. so play play play, then you wont need upgrades
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
I wouldn't upgrade the gun at all. By the time you upgrade the essentials, you could have bought a better gun.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
God In Human Form

Send a message via AIM to Weecrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Spoon and Weecrack hit on good points about the barrel.

I LOVE my freak kit. Yeah, it's made by smart parts, but who cares. I can get a back for it in just about any threading, I have tips already and all of the inserts. Makes it a VERY versatile barrel system. You can get a Deadly wind barrel that takes the inserts, or a stiffi tip. Some people hate freak kits, but I'm a fan. Some will argue against barrel kits. I'm a fan.
I use smart parts Freak Stuff, I will agree on that, there barrels are the Ubah

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport