mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
So say we all!

Send a message via AIM to Drachen Send a message via MSN to Drachen

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Being one of those people Chopper Duke mentioned about not liking barrel kits, I would normally agree that you don't need a kit. Though I just got a Freak barrel in a trade, and even though I only have two useable inserts, it still shoots better than most of my non-barrel kit barrels (even though there are still some that are a great bang for your buck without being full bore kits....like the CP 2 piece....).

With most markers, the only real upgrades you need, is a good tank, hopper, barrel, and on/off. Since you can, for the most part, switch those to any gun you use in the future, it's a good investment as well. Anything else, really isn't needed for the most part.
Though if you notice specific things you don't like about it, and you want to make it better, like say it's chopping paint, then go for it. It's your marker, do what you want with it. But always keep in mind, every dollar you spend on your current rig, takes money away from your future rig.
Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

i have used a grav hopper on my ion for a looong time . only upgrade i did was a new barrel . that was an amazing gun .
dauntless15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Machinist in training

Send a message via Yahoo to slowerpig81

Also look into Lapco for barrels. Quite possible the best aluminum barrel out there. I believe that it's bore quality more than bore-paint matching. So, unless you can get a kit with 4 or more inserts for a good price, a Lapco Bigshot .687 will give great performance for only $50. If you change guns, Lapco also sells adaptors that would allow you to take your Impulse thread barrel on to a cocker thread or other thread. These are about $15.

Feedback/Avvy by Tessa Schrader
slowerpig81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
But remember Ion's have a different barrel threading than pretty much all other guns. I love barrels (even though I know they pretty much all shoot the same), but anything you buy will not be transferable to your next gun. Everything else on the market is Autococker threaded.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The ABSOLUTE BEST upgrade you can buy is good paint. Don't waste money on truly unneccesary upgrades; they will be futile when you decide to buy another gun. That being said, buy good paint. Don't settle for the cheap $30 stuff, you can have the best barrel ever, but bad paint is bad paint, and it will make your day miserable.

Go get good paint.
aheg1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aheg1220 View Post
The ABSOLUTE BEST upgrade you can buy is good paint. Don't waste money on truly unneccesary upgrades; they will be futile when you decide to buy another gun. That being said, buy good paint. Don't settle for the cheap $30 stuff, you can have the best barrel ever, but bad paint is bad paint, and it will make your day miserable.

Go get good paint.
Agreed 100%
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB super-dupor-member

Seems you did fine. You played with it, didn't like the feedneck, and upgraded. Always find out what you don't like before upgrading. Alot of people upgrade for the sake of just upgrading.

I shot a stock mech Spyder for a while, then found internet paintball forums (not this one, others) and went crazy buying everything people told me to. By the end I had a 16" barrel, motorized hopper, etc, all this stuff I didn't need.

Asking; "what should I upgrade' comes down to personal perference.

`Fs
Feedback
The cake is a lie.
ForeverSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #28 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Not gonna add much more to the already great advice above, save this: work on your skills and when you bunker some dude with an Ego, etc... feel proud that you did it with an Ion.

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I guess the only other advice would be, strive to be the like the guy in Carzy Boy's avatar. Stash and all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
President of Kanuckistan

Send a message via MSN to The Sexy Beast

I'm glad to see that for the most part you are happy with your "basic" Ion (Ion`s are underrated in my opinion). I also envy you, as I am one who loves to try and make my markers shoot as great as possible whatever the cost. Some great points were already made, and I would agree that good paint is the best investment in any paintballer`s arsenal.

If however you do look at upgrading more seriously down the road, I would highly suggest you look at used parts as they are dirt cheap on most forums. The only upgrade that I would buy new would be a bolt (As wear and what not can affect the performance), in which case I would HIGHLY recommend the TechT L7 bolt, if you choose to take that course. I would try and stray away from aesthetic upgrades, as it can start costing you more than what it is worth (Ion Body kits however can be picked up for under $15 used, and look great for the price). Good Luck with your Ion!
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!
The Sexy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport