mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 06-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Problems attaching ASA

I have a Phantom with 45 grips. I bought a ASP 5* mounting bracket and a CCM ASA On/Off from ActionVillage. I've been attempting to attach it but it is an extremely right squeeze. I went to the hobby store after getting it 1/4 of the way on hoping they would help but in the process the moron dented the ASP rail which I had to subsequently sand down in order to make level again. Then, after much pounding with my girlfriend's rubber mallet, I managed to get it so that it is 1/32" of an inch away. Although the pounding has now loosened the rail from the frame (as well as giving some play in the trigger ). There is no way the ASA is coming off the rail. The frame, rail and ASA are now essentially one. I think I've broken all three in the process. I'm about ready to give up and eat the $100 but is there any way of salvaging this?

Also is there anyway to reduce the side-to-side movement that's now developed in the trigger. It is slight but noticeable.
mcnuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
The same thing happened to mine, same parts actually. It went on with less force though.

Did you use incorrect length screws? If the screw heads were not flush, it will jam up. Mine were flush, however, so I think it was a tolerance issue somewhere.

The bad news is how I had to "fix" it. I sawed it off my gun, destroying the rail and ASA entirely, and really scratching up my frame. Woot. I am starting to think either CCM or CCI made them off spec, but more likely is that the tolerance differences added up.

Last edited by idkfa; 06-19-2009 at 10:59 PM.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Screws were completely flush as far as I remember.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
That sucks. I destroyed $50+ worth of parts removing it. I would have just left it on if the rail screws were not loosening up and causing everything to wiggle.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Completely sucks. I can't describe the level of frustration I'm feeling right now.

Anyway to get this gun working again I want to get another CCI 45 frame. Do the new ones have a level bottom?

Also how do I stop the play in the trigger?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

I had the same issue...sort of. Stock hinge frame on a 2K3 Outkast, has a rail built into it. But, it wouldnt fit the rail built into my SP Max-Flo Micro. I had to use the SP rail. Ive had that issue before with different companies...so, i always try match now. Empire drop, Empire ASA....DYE Drop, DYE ASA...you get the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Ask Mike when you get your new frame, he will make you one with a flat bottom.
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Nihilistic Mystics

I have a few of the flat bottomed frames in stock, but haven't had a chance to put them on the site yet. Note that the bottoms are not parallel with the barrel/body axis, but are rather parallel with the bottom of 1911 slabs.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

I've the heard the CCM asa's had some weird tolerances...

My 5* mounting block worked wonderfully on all the asa's I tried.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
Ask Mike when you get your new frame, he will make you one with a flat bottom.
Hell, if you told mike your problem he might send you one for free

But in all seriousness that sucks, i will never add or take anything away from my stock phantom, it is perfect, why fix it if its not broken?
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport