mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I always recommend to bring more paint than you think you'll need- it helps you to stay out there longer. Granted it all depends on your style of play, some will go through 4 pods and a hopper in 15 minutes, others can make a hopper last all day. My typical loadout is 8 pods and a hopper for 3-4 hours of a given scenario. That way I can generally avoid reloading until the lunch break (if there is one) and then last the rest of the day without another reload. But it will greatly depend on what you are doing and where in the scenario. If you're running a lot of missions and sneaking around running tapelines chances are you'll use less paint than if you're slugging it out in the main battle areas where everyone hunkers down and 50/50 firefights all day. You always want to carry a tank thats big enough to shoot what you're carrying, even if the fills are poor. I normally stick to my 88/4500 so that even if the field I'm at has an air system disaster and can only fill to like, 2500 psi (had it happen before), I can still stay out on the field for a decently long time with one of my more efficient markers.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

A pack or vest should be at the top of your list. I'd suggest something that holds at least 4 pods, but start inexpensive until you figure out how you like to play. I will say that a vest is a very nice thing to have if you are playing for a long time since it distributes the weight better, but one is not necessary, especially at first.

Stay hydrated above all else. Whether that means a hydration pack or frequent breaks, it's up to you.
craltal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Most water bottles will fit in a normal pod holder, so you don't need to waste money on stuff. Not to mention you will do most of your drinking off the field.

I usually run with 4-5 pods and go through them fairly quick depending on what gun I am using. There is really no need to carry more than that. I see people try to play with 10+ pods and they are usually the first out, so you are basically just carrying extra weight.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

I went ahead and picked up the Recon Vest mentioned above for $20. Since I have no way of carrying pods now that made sense to get. That should give me a combat load off appox 650 rounds. Now I just have to make sure I am carrying enough air to shoot that many. I have never actually counted to see. The vest comes with a pouch to hold water. I am not sure but I am hoping to throw my camel back bladder in there and call it good.

MCB Feedback
CC Feedback
spanky1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Give in to the Night

Location: Austin, capital of the greatest country in the world, Texas

you should be able to throw the bladder in there. As far as air efficiancy, I can almost guarantee you wont be able to shoot that 650+150ish hopper on a 50/3k fill

chopper_duke: You guys just don't understand how hard it is to take pictures from a dark closet and not wake the person up...

bring me a white rotor sale
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ml#post1853123
noctem89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Yeah..you should really consider getting a larger/better air system if you plan on staying out shooting for any extensive amount of time.

Alternately, you can try to do the "shock troop" role where you keep your load pretty light (like a 2 100 round belt-pack and that's it), and make up for it by running a LOT to the front and always being the one charging up for position gains. Expect to get shot out frequently, which gives you time to reload air/paint, and you'll get respect for being that crazy guy with no paint that's always leading the charge.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
Alternately, you can try to do the "shock troop" role where you keep your load pretty light (like a 2 100 round belt-pack and that's it), and make up for it by running a LOT to the front and always being the one charging up for position gains. Expect to get shot out frequently, which gives you time to reload air/paint, and you'll get respect for being that crazy guy with no paint that's always leading the charge.
Mwahah that really sounds like me and my team. Nothing like leading charges of hundreds of people wielding only a foam sword
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think this time I am going to try a few different roles. Leading charges, being lead, that sort of things. From the reading I have done being the medic sounds like the most fun. I doubt that space will be left. If so I may give that a try. We will see.

MCB Feedback
CC Feedback
spanky1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'd highly recommend at least a 68/4500 for a G3. I'm shooting one right now with a PE 4500 and GA Myth reg and the balance is great. I've noticed on my G3 that when I really open it up and start unloading paint, air consumption goes through the roof (my opinion though)

As far as refilling on paint, it all depends on the event. Really good events will have paint for sale in the dead boxes so you don't have to carry a bunch. If you don't know, carry 4-5 pods. As for water, don't chance it. Get a good sized Camel Bak and get used to water weight. You can never have enough water; plain and simple. Also make sure you keep a spare pouch stuffed with granola bars/snacks because you never know if you are going to break for lunch or just want to keep playing.

If you ask me personally what I'd buy, I like MOLLE gear due the ability to configure all my pouches however I see fit for the event. Use AK pouches and they hold 100 rnd pods perfect. I got all my stuff from Cheaper Than Dirt. Kinda pricey, but I've been satisfied with all my stuff from them so far. If you go this route, invest in a nice vest that has plenty of shoulder padding. I've made the mistake in two vests that do not have enough and my shoulders start to suffer mid day due to all the weight of paint and water resting on them.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Match; 07-02-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSniper13 View Post
I've not tried one, as I have a camelbak, but even the waterpod will require a harness to carry.
Thirded on the camelbak. For those who don't have one already, you can pick up a 2l hydration pack at Academy Sports for less than $20.00. IMHO, that should be third in importance during summer months behind only clothes and a mask. Yes, that does mean I rate it ahead a marker. Since you picked up the Recon vest, just transfer the bladder from your Camelbak to the vest and you should be good to go.

Other good purchases are:

Radio (remember the real-world operating range is about 1/4 what the radio is rated)
Good boots such as Converse tactical boots or Magnums with good inserts
Nike Dri-fit Compression undershirt, or if you want a cheaper alternative, a compression undershirt from Dollar General Store for about $6.00
beef jerky and snack bars if the game will go over four hours
anti-fog or double pane lens for your mask

custar
custar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport