mcarterbrown.com

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Jumping into stock class

A little background, and some questions. I have played paintball on the "cutting" edge for years, and suffered the burn-out assoicated with it, not to mention I am simply too old to deal with the attitudes and not strangle some little kid with "leet skilz" whatever that is. Now, I intend to get back into it - into the game I remember loving a long time ago. I think that stock class, maybe some light tournaments here and there if I can find them, probably some scenarios here and there just for fun would give me the game I loved back. Since I sold all my gear last year I am trying to figure out what I need and don't need.

Marker - ordered a grey ghost and a sniper from the trade section here

Obviously I need CO2 cartridges - so I ordered a box of 50 - any brand worse than any other?

The gentleman who sold me the grey ghost (Tedaut) was nice enough to include as many ten round tubes as he can fit in the box.

Of course I'll need a harness or belt of some type.

I have an old Flex 7 mask that I ordered a new lens for.

Obviously I am familiar with paintball, but not this aspect. When I get there what am I going to kick myself for not having?

At AOs urging I ordered a PB mafia leg harness... going to try that before going pack style.

What else am I missing?
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
if you are going full stock class, you'll probably want to get some leland 12ies, as they are pretty much the best 12ies made. you'll want to avoid any 12ies that are sold in walmart (crossman, daisy, etc.) you may also want to pick up a 3.5 oz co2 tank for the scenarios and what not. you may want to run open class or even modified stock class before jumping headfirst into stock class, as it's got a pretty steep learning curve. open class is bulk air and paint, modified stock class is generally stock class feed, with a bulk air source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
thats why i bring my own balls. and if they dont play nice, i play with myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Mar, I want to fondle your wood.
Zapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
We Didn't Listen!

Crossmann 12 grams are some of the worse you can buy. I personally find them to be inconsistently filled and Ive heard worse things then that. But they are cheap and easy to find.

My friend uses a bandoleer he found for his 12ies and 10 rounds. It was made for a shot gun, but works very well when looped in a belt so it stays in place. Also, I would suggest some form of dump pouch to hold your used stuff. Helps keep the fields cleaner and saves you money in the long run.

Aside from that, I'd say alot of practice and to move more then you shoot. If someones not shooting at you, you should be moving. Expetually in woods and scenarios.

Oh and if people ask you for covering fire, give them a weird look and then shoot once. Lol its just funny to see their reaction.

Hope I helped.
Rule #14: "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
Bay kou bliye, pote mak sonje. (The giver of the blow forgets, the bearer of the scar remembers)
flyinggobbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
I've had good luck with Crossman, but BE ones are the worst. I had metal rattling inside o.o

I like the PB Mafia thigh rig I have, it hold 10 tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Personally I have never cared enough to compare what 12 grams I use. I could care less as long as the gun punctures them (I believe ther ewas a run of a particular brand that was a bit short).

First, unless you plan to try and play with only SC players, you will still have to deal with the "leet skilz" kids, AND add the "want to borrow my real gun pops?" types. You need to be able to just shrug that off.

I don't know how you played before, but when playing SC be prepared to move a lot. However, it is easy to move and take cover as you have less gear.

Be prepared to go through a speedball game using under 50 rounds, and at scenario games, never buy more than one bag (not a box, a bag). You'll still likely have left over paint.

For speedball type play I usually wear a harness on my upper arm that holds 1 12ie and 4 tubes. I have a bandolier for scenarios or if the field is far from the staging area. I think backpacks are overkill. I am going to look into that leg harness though, it sounds handy!

The most important thing is win or loose, make sure you are having fun.
Finnigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0UN1N View Post
if you are going full stock class, you'll probably want to get some leland 12ies, as they are pretty much the best 12ies made. you'll want to avoid any 12ies that are sold in walmart (crossman, daisy, etc.) you may also want to pick up a 3.5 oz co2 tank for the scenarios and what not. you may want to run open class or even modified stock class before jumping headfirst into stock class, as it's got a pretty steep learning curve. open class is bulk air and paint, modified stock class is generally stock class feed, with a bulk air source.

Any good source on Lelands? Do I simply snag these at a major sporting goods store?

Since I am setting everything up without regulators (using 12 gram buckets) at this point what would it take to go to a constant air setup? Is it simply running the hose or do I need to regulate it?

As to the change of game. I have never shot a lot except to get out of a jam, something I obviously will not be able to do any longer. Im hoping the change of game is enough to keep me from butting heads with the more aggressive players.
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
you should be able to just drop a 3.5oz co2 tank into the vert ASA, but if you wwant to run compressed air, it gets a little more complicated. just buy the lelands in bulk from the supplier. google leland 12 grams and you should find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
thats why i bring my own balls. and if they dont play nice, i play with myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Mar, I want to fondle your wood.
Zapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't have a specific brand of 12g's. They all seems to work OK to me. I just won't buy them at the national chain sporting goods stores in my area. It just appears to me that the prices have heavily jacked up since it's not the main line of business.

I like playing with youngsters. I actually get jealous because they're still on the upswing of their learning curve. They're potentials are all still very high. It make me happy seeing them progress, and to me their energy is addictive and invigorating. It's up to the adults in the group to keep the kiddies in check and guide them along a productive path.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to SN toter

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
The PBmafia harnesses are all good. My favorite is the Joyride, but if you don't really care for packs the leg harness will suit you well. I've never had an issue with 12 gram brands, but dislijke them in general and stopped using a bucket changer altogether. I picked up a 3.5 oz co2 tank instead and run it from my vert adapter on my phantom. To go to constant air on the GG you won't need to make modifications. On the Sniper you might need to respring depending on the year and setup. I think you're pretty much set though.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm not sure if it will fit on your grey ghost, but a T-Stock will really help your mechanics which in turn will help your accuracy.
About the leg-harness i have one and i love it, i am really tall and skinny and it fits me well and doesnt annoy me when running, so yeah thats a really good buy.

Last edited by SFREAK; 07-02-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: said something wrong
SFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport