mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Safety Stats & Starting a Paintball Club at a High School

Recently I stumbled across some local kids trying to start a paintball club at the nearby High School. This is actually a brand new school (inaugural year). Anyway these kids seem to have done all the right things at they're school to try to make it happen.
I mentioned to them that I'd help them out anyway possible as a resident of the area and avid paintballer of many years. Obviously they got excited. I sent a letter to they're principal, counselor, Football coach and other athletic director.

Earlier today I received a message from the principal that the School District does not allow this type of club. The kids can start they're own outside of school and the school can not be affiliated with it in any way shape or form. Acually here's what was said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by director of risk management
Hey Melva, sorry for the delay. No, we donít allow paintball. This activity is prohibited because of the dangers involved in being shot with the paint markers and because it violates the basic principle of no weapons on campus or in clubs. They would have to do this club as a private activity, with no school or district association. They canít hold meetings or events on campus and the school canít promote the club. This also means they canít call themselves the Del Norte Nighthawks Paintball Club, so they have to come up with another name. The finances can not run through ASB. Attached is a liability waiver that we use to reinforce the fact that this club is separate from the District.
Anyway, I was wondering if there is somewhere that I can attain the safety stats of paintball compared to other sports. I know our sport is one of the safe-est compared to others and the school district seems to be closed minded.

I know there are some MCB members that belong to paintball clubs. Maybe some assistance can be had. Anything you can suggest would be welcomed.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Last Starfighter

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
IIRC it was safer than all normal HS sports. They are just anti-gun.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
They are just stupid.
Fixed for you. My high school's like that too.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonio View Post

Anyway, I was wondering if there is somewhere that I can attain the safety stats of paintball compared to other sports. I know our sport is one of the safe-est compared to others and the school district seems to be closed minded.

I know there are some MCB members that belong to paintball clubs. Maybe some assistance can be had. Anything you can suggest would be welcomed.
It still won't convince them because at the end of the day paintball guns are designed with hitting people in mind.

And I've read stories where high school football players had to sit out games from paintball injuries. While both you and I know that is due to the player being a sissy, the principal and the rest of the school body obviously lacks the knowledge of our sport to make that connection.

The best thing the kids can do is graduate and then talk to everyone about how crappy their high school principal was.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hoarder not Whore

I think you are going about it the wrong way!

I wish you the best, but if the schools in your area are anything like the schools around my area, you can hit them with all kinds of safety statistics until you are blue in the face and all they will say is.. no weapons on school grounds.

Change your tactics. Find a local business (sporting goods stores come to mind) and have them sponsor your group.
Find a business owner who paint balls and ask for his help/support.
Get parents involved in the club.
Find someone who has land that will allow a field.
Have a charter written up, rules and code of conduct and such.

Ditch the school boards closed minded bureaucracy and go private enterprise.

Good luck!

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Dave-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post

The best thing the kids can do is graduate and then talk to everyone about how crappy their high school principal was.
Actually they're principal was for it. It's the District that has the issue.

Easiest way to go around the weapons on school grounds is not to have them there. Really markers only need to be around at the field. I have some of my own idea's for the kids still.

Is there actually any official documentation regarding safety stats? Just wondering if I can give the young hopefuls any additional ammunition.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Texas Rush - Pump Player

I swear I thought there was one somewhere. Let me check

Ok, you can do the legwork for the actual sources from here

Minnesota Safety Report on Paintball - MPL

That's your start and will take you where you need

Last edited by Shawn_Savage; 09-19-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Give them any injury stats you want, a paintball marker will always be a gun. Good luck to you though.
wowzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonio View Post
Actually they're principal was for it. It's the District that has the issue.

Easiest way to go around the weapons on school grounds is not to have them there. Really markers only need to be around at the field. I have some of my own idea's for the kids still.

Is there actually any official documentation regarding safety stats? Just wondering if I can give the young hopefuls any additional ammunition.
you in SD? which high school is this?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah in SD - Del Norte High in 4S Ranch - Poway Unified

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport