mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to egyeager Send a message via Yahoo to egyeager

Lets say you had to get gear for 5 people as cheaply as possible

So here is the deal; Many at my college ( a small, liberal arts college in southern Vermont) has many people who are interested in playing paintball but, as college students, can't afford to drop $45-$60 for a day of paintball to simply try it out.

My idea was that my college will purchase enough gear for 4 or 5 people to play paintball (we are run in a town meeting style so no worries about having to convince administration). The fee around here to play is about $10 if you have your own gear instead of $45 if you need to rent which I have a feeling more economical for many students.

However in this economy purchasing gear new I find to be quite silly. Considering that most gear is at half price when it is used it only makes sense to me to buy used.

While I would love to support the fields around me by having people pay the rental price, I see it bringing in more money over the long term if I can get 4 or 5 people to pay $10 plus paint every week or two instead of one or two people once a month paying $45 a piece.

With all that being said (mostly background information I figure I might as well fill in because I am currently in a meeting at my college) I figure I should come to the point of the issue.

Where do you think I should look for decently used gear and what type of gun do you think I should look at besides "low price".

Mask is of course the MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment and I am most conserned about them. The other piece of equipment I am having a long, internal monolouge about is CO2 vs HPA. Co2 tanks are, of course cheaper to buy upfront but HPA is... well HPA is awesome but even a 48/3000 costs more upfront and has to be rehydroed every couple of years and $20 times 5 or 6 can add up over the years.

So guys and gals I am wondering what all of you have to say about this issue. Any sudjestions you have is awesome! Safety and logistics I have been talking with my college administrations about extensively so no big worries about that.

Thanks so much in advance!
egyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

To solve the tank issue:
Get a tank under the 2.0 Diameter rule, so you never have to hydro, or a c02
Get some tippmann 98's or some cheap spyders
some profilers

That would kinda help, no?
Hammy of Socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

ebay and the b/s/t's are your friends, get brand new v force provantages (thermal ones they are 30$ each) look at the paintball gateway hpa tanks, they are 30$ and have a 5 year hydro, my cousin has one and it's amazing for 30$. Now for the gun check the bst's on here or pbnation for used spyders, ive gotten spyders for 20$ shipped on pbnation and they worked fine and still do ( got them as loaner guns, i have 5) all i need to do is put a drop of lube into the asa and shoot them a few times and thats it, very low maintainence.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Woo Hoo another Vermonter, well almost.

I would check here with Bacci, I have delt with him many times and he has a lot of older used guns in good shape for sale right now. Are you guys going to be playing when it gets colder out? Are they wanting to do Semi or pump? You could go with used Tippmanns they are fairly solid and dirt cheap. I say if this is club gear for people who want to try it out go with co2 for cost savings.

If you guys want to go pumps get used nelson clones from Bacci, and buy some 3.5 oz tanks that never need to be rehydro'd

If you get a group up and running let me know I'm the Advisor for Norwich's Paintball club we ca get together for a day of play some time.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post all the things!

Send a message via AIM to tencent

CCM Fan
cheap spyders/98's with profilers and co2 tanks.

Or even cheaper buy a bunch of tracers/mavericks.. don't they usually sell for like 40 bucks a piece here? Im sure one of the gun hoarders around here could sell 5 to you cheap for a good cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbthebenji View Post
I'll be munching on this box for months!
tencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencent View Post
cheap spyders/98's with profilers and co2 tanks.

Or even cheaper buy a bunch of tracers/mavericks.. don't they usually sell for like 40 bucks a piece here? Im sure one of the gun hoarders around here could sell 5 to you cheap for a good cause.
True, that's your best bet.

$$I Need Money$$
PLEASE Buy My Stuff

WESTERN DIGITAL PASSPORT
• 500GB Portable Pocket Hard Drive.
$59
Kodak C330 Digital 4MP Camera (& High Res. Video) -
$69
James Bond Ultimate Collector's Set
• 42 DVD Disks, Every Bond Movie Ever Made -
$99
FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Loaded Boarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB super-dupor-member

Buy brand new V-force Pro Vantages, best bang for the buck, and everything else you can buy used.

For guns I personally would do Spyders. Reliable, stupid simple, and they flood used BST's.

Best of luck.

`Fs
Feedback
The cake is a lie.
ForeverSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to egyeager Send a message via Yahoo to egyeager

Wow you guys are AWESOME! Greenmountainphantom you and I will have to chat about a meet up or something like that! I will likely be doing semi because, honestly, for as awesome as pumps are they are not as beginner friendly as semi. New profilers actually sounds like a great idea. AS for playing in the snow I am not sure. I am always willing to play paintball (snow banks make great bunkers!) but I think there ought to be some place within an hour and a half that will stay open during the winter.

I will be seeing how much I can reasonable get from my college for supplies and based on that figure out how many people I can reasonably bring.
egyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I suggest going straight to the Director of Student Government (or what ever they call it down there) and asking what his department can do to help you get started.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
YS-OFG

I'd go with BT4s. They're like a 98, with some cool little features that I find make cleaning a lot easier, and maintenance a lot easier. I'm pretty sure they're even machined, instead of cast, over a lot of the body. The field I worked at this summer used them, and they're absolute tanks. This way, CO2 isn't an issue, either. Push for HPA for winter ball, but if they cut you at the knees, the guns can handle some liquid.

Archon makes a nice little grav-fed hopper that jams a lot less than the VL200s.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport