mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
There'd be a lot of landscaping they'd have to do to have inflatable fields at AG. Pretty rough terrain for the most part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shartley View Post
but I am not sure that Tom still owned the property, at least not in full.
WHen I talked to Tom a couple years ago, he was pretty clear:
Cynthia paid him 1.6 million dollars for AG of Weare, which came out to just over a $million after he paid all the taxes, fees, and everything.

He moved to the Keys, and bought a sailboat, and spends his timing scuba diving. Which makes sense, since thats all he did in the 90s anyway.

Now, I always assumed the $1.6 million was for "everything", but I don't know much about real estate, and what things are worth. It sounds too much to be just for the business, and not the property.

And while we are on the topic of "stuff thats none of our business", I must have went out drinking a 100 times with Tom in the 90s at some bar in Henniker. And we got in all kinds of trouble, but I never had the nerve to ask "Whats up with you and Cynthia?"

Were they married? Didn't they have a kid together?

Nick
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
I know Cynthia has a daughter. Who has a habit of giving me crap about riding my bike to the field ;-)

If there's new management at AGNH, I would expect it to be either Mark or Megan, which is Cynthia's daughter's name IIRC.
Quote:
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #34 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Cynthia paid him 1.6 million dollars for AG of Weare, which came out to just over a $million after he paid all the taxes, fees, and everything.

Now, I always assumed the $1.6 million was for "everything", but I don't know much about real estate, and what things are worth. It sounds too much to be just for the business, and not the property.

Nick
That's one of the stories that I've heard from other third parties too, but I think the key there was that it was not a lump sum, but rather payments (think lease to own) that she is still making. So possibly Canobie either buys out the agreement or pays enough up front to allow Cynthia to finish payments to Tom and pocket the rest.
RusskiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:59 AM   #35 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:

He moved to the Keys, and bought a sailboat, and spends his timing scuba diving. Which makes sense, since thats all he did in the 90s anyway.

And while we are on the topic of "stuff thats none of our business", I must have went out drinking a 100 times with Tom in the 90s at some bar in Henniker. And we got in all kinds of trouble, but I never had the nerve to ask "Whats up with you and Cynthia?"

Were they married? Didn't they have a kid together?

Nick
Tom has children, and Cynthia has a daughter, but they don’t have children together. Yes, they were married, want to see pictures of the wedding? Come to my place, I have them here in one of our albums.

As for the settlement, the payments over time thing is what I gathered out of the conversations I have had as well. I am not sure what it covered, just the business or the business and property. But 1.6 up here for the property alone would sound right for a lot of locations, but I would have to check (but probably won’t because it does not matter that much to me), so maybe it was for the business and half the property? We are all just tossing around ideas. LOL
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I know Cynthia has a daughter. Who has a habit of giving me crap about riding my bike to the field ;-)
Bah. When I first started playing, I road my bike to the local field as well. Granted, I was only 14, but my "banana seat huffy" bike wes not meant to be peddled for 4 miles.

Quote:
If there's new management at AGNH, I would expect it to be either Mark or Megan.
Its funny.
What I remembered most about Megan was as a 10 year old girl who would always pester me to "try some food she made".

Regardless of what happens, I hope the best for AGNH.
Cynthia is Cynthia. She will never change.
But I don't blame her for the prices she charges. AGNH is one of the last few large woodsball fields.

Unfortunetly, woodsball fields that size are expensive to own, and operate. It takes a large staff, and large property taxes. But takes in less income then small speedball fields simple because players shoot less.

Money is the primary reason why most woodsball fields have died and been replaced with crappy speedball fields.
And to be honest, and speedball is not paintball for me. If that was all that was left, I would never play again.

What I am saying is I expect to pay a premium at a decent woodsball field.

nick
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Post Whore

I skipped over this…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
If there's new management at AGNH, I would expect it to be either Mark or Megan, which is Cynthia's daughter's name IIRC.
I highly doubt Megan would manage the field, nor be chosen to. And from what I understand Mark WAS the manager of the field in spite of the fact that Cynthia did a lot of “directing”. So when it is said the field would be under “new” management, I take that to be someone outside those who are already there.

The talk about Canobie Paintball taking over sounds like a believable scenario. If it is true, I hope they keep the name and most of the larger fields as they are.

It would be interesting to know if Cynthia and Mark would move or not though since the house is directly connected to the store/shop/barn and the field itself.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #38 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I just talked win Mark a few minutes ago... Now I didn't come right out and ask him, but just mentioned about next year. He did seem to hesitate and went on to say that he's not going to worry about next year until next year.

I didn't see any huge indication that they were totally getting out.

He did mention (and I completely agree) that these kids are getting younger and younger, and no one is paying attention to the rules anymore, making it harder on the owners. (Insurance worries, etc, etc).

I should have been ballsy enough and just asked, but we were in a public place, and I didn't want to put him on the spot not knowing whom else was just listening in.
Painthappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I just talked win Mark a few minutes ago... Now I didn't come right out and ask him, but just mentioned about next year. He did seem to hesitate and went on to say that he's not going to worry about next year until next year.

I didn't see any huge indication that they were totally getting out.

He did mention (and I completely agree) that these kids are getting younger and younger, and no one is paying attention to the rules anymore, making it harder on the owners. (Insurance worries, etc, etc).

I should have been ballsy enough and just asked, but we were in a public place, and I didn't want to put him on the spot not knowing whom else was just listening in.
So they are still around (as in not off on vacation)? Good. Maybe I will ask in a less public place.

ADDED: Then again.... maybe I will just sit back and see what happens. I am content not being in the loop on this one.

Last edited by shartley; 11-27-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
MCB Member

Its Official!!

AGNH under new management!

See the Announcement here:

http://agpaintball.com/phpBB2/viewfo...cc0a78aaffe6ce

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Northeast