mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Old Gun Tech (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/old-gun-tech/)
-   -   Any reason I can't use a steel ball bearing as a Splatmaster detent? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/old-gun-tech/223826-any-reason-i-cant-use-steel-ball-bearing-splatmaster-detent.html)

The Inflicted 01-17-2013 10:34 PM

Any reason I can't use a steel ball bearing as a Splatmaster detent?

I'm having a hard time finding plastic beads/pellets the right size. Airsoft pellets are too large, but I found some nice ball bearings that work perfectly. Will these be safe to use or do they cause wear issues after a number of cycles?

Falcone 01-20-2013 09:02 AM

I'd say one other thing to thing about besides wear is if it breaks, and the detent gets shot out, a steel BB coming out of a splat master could cause some decent damage to human tissue.

wll_bkr 01-21-2013 04:40 AM

The old cocker ball detents were steel balls

Shocker2k 01-25-2013 01:34 PM

This isnt anything that I have ever tested, but I have a feeling that a small ball bearing will not come out of the barrel with much velocity at all. With it being as heavy as it is and how much air will escape around the ball, I just dont see it doing much.

Nick

Chappy 01-27-2013 10:58 AM

I'm pretty confident a paintball gun cannot get a bb sized projectile up to any dangerous velocity.

Falcone 01-27-2013 03:34 PM

I figured if it was in a mess of broken paint and shell or if it hitched a ride infront of a ball intact she could leave a mark.

dukie 01-27-2013 09:33 PM

The splatmasters i took apart in the 80's had steel balls.

99BPS 01-30-2013 12:27 AM

I've seen this done in other markers. A detent is not all that different from a steal bearing. It'll either work of course doublefeed/chops so i'd say the only way to really know is to do it. It won't fly outta the barrel at any real speed, I wouldn't worry about that. Today I was shooting acoss my basement and once ball of the xball blaze I was shooting was SOOO small that even while focusing on not letting it roll out, it flew across the small room, hit my box target and bounced off. It had already rolled out a few times, so it shoulda broken easily but was flying too slowly. A smaller projectile has no chance honestly.

thesauce 02-03-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukie (Post 2606225)
The splatmasters i took apart in the 80's had steel balls.

right. back when eyes protection was "just squint if someone is shooting at your face". typically 30 year old safety regulations should be disregarded.

BUT i agree that a bb isnt gong to do any damage. tacamo/milsig mags have steel bearings for detents in the round collar. if one bearing is dangerous those mags are deathtraps.

B-17 02-05-2013 02:17 PM

I have an idea, maybe we'll all just use real guns, then there would never be any cheating!

/lol/

BBs ain't gon do ****.

As for the safety regulations, I still think shop goggles + something over your nose/mouth is more than enough for safe play.