mcarterbrown.com  

Outlaw / Private Fields Playing paintball in your backyard or other non-business run field

Old 06-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
I'm having a tough time imagining this material, but since it sounds like it works I'd be curious to see it. Portable solutions would be nice for figuring out what new bunker locations would work best when we do a cleanup at my local renegade.
Look up Geotextiles. That should give you a better idea. I found a pic of it being used as a fencing (not our field obviously.)

elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #42 (permalink)
Post Whore

Pallets and sandbags are our usual material,you can probably get some free at a local home supply store or roofing company,a teammate of ours works at ABC roofing,he dropped a load of 100+ pallets for us
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #43 (permalink)

We use plastic pallets because we can get like 20 for a couple bucks from local construction sites.We also use old tires,burnt out cars we can get from the junkyard,etc.,etc.
paintballguy2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
WARNING:I Do Stupid $#!@

Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post
Look up Geotextiles. That should give you a better idea. I found a pic of it being used as a fencing (not our field obviously.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._fence_EPA.jpg
The problems with materials like this..its not really meant to withstand abuse..
its either hung to block run off from construction and as a weed barrier when laying a base in yard/road work..it doesnt last long at all

A.. subject to deterioration...quickly. sunlight,heat,weather conditions ect causes the fabric to become brittle and weak.. after a few days exposed to elements will start the process.. although it may not just fall apart in your hands or on its own taking a shot will be an issue as paint will tear through easily enough..

B.. re touching on an above mentioned issue..strength/durability .. even if taken care of from the elements its not that strong of a material .. paint will easily penetrate the material.. when its hung as seen in the picture even a strong wind causes it to tear from the wooden steaks.. the nails or staples used only withstand so much force before ripping through..

If anything I would suggest (and Ive seen it used ) scraps of field netting itself.. find local fields who replace their field nets and ask for the damaged ones they get rid of..You will easily be able to cut down to bunker size and avoid the damaged areas.. ..

or you could take the green yard/farm steaks and cut sheets of plywood to size.. drive steaks into ground and affix playwood to steaks to make walls/bunkers of your preferred size.. even looking around at construction sites you can find scraps of plywood big enough to use aswel as 2X4s and such.. just talk to the site foreman and see if you can raid their throw away piles..
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=170725

My Drinking Team Has A Paintball Problem.
------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.
NoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #45 (permalink)

You can even find shipping materials in bulk.. a field I worked at (pictured) used big metal shipping containers as a field itself (well set up in a feild as bunkers)

the shipping boxes didnt have a top and broke down into 5 sections..a base and 4 side walls..

although they look heavy they can be moved easily enough with one person.. two can lift them over head with no issues..they are light and stackable as the bases fit into the tops of boxes below..

The field literally has HUNDREDS of them...broken down they stack nicely and dont take up as much room as you think.

and buying in bulk they got a deal

------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoX13 View Post
The problems with materials like this..its not really meant to withstand abuse..
its either hung to block run off from construction and as a weed barrier when laying a base in yard/road work..it doesnt last long at all

A.. subject to deterioration...quickly. sunlight,heat,weather conditions ect causes the fabric to become brittle and weak.. after a few days exposed to elements will start the process.. although it may not just fall apart in your hands or on its own taking a shot will be an issue as paint will tear through easily enough..

B.. re touching on an above mentioned issue..strength/durability .. even if taken care of from the elements its not that strong of a material .. paint will easily penetrate the material.. when its hung as seen in the picture even a strong wind causes it to tear from the wooden steaks.. the nails or staples used only withstand so much force before ripping through..

If anything I would suggest (and Ive seen it used ) scraps of field netting itself.. find local fields who replace their field nets and ask for the damaged ones they get rid of..You will easily be able to cut down to bunker size and avoid the damaged areas.. ..

or you could take the green yard/farm steaks and cut sheets of plywood to size.. drive steaks into ground and affix playwood to steaks to make walls/bunkers of your preferred size.. even looking around at construction sites you can find scraps of plywood big enough to use aswel as 2X4s and such.. just talk to the site foreman and see if you can raid their throw away piles..
You might be thinking of a different type. The stuff we use is for building roads. It is used as an underlay of the road so they don't have to use as much gravel. They have their base sand layer, then this, then gravel then black top. It is designed to prevent the gravel from mixing into the sand layer. If it can prevent rough jagged rocks from ripping into it while it has a few tons of pressure on top of it, I think it can take a couple of paintballs.

We have been doing tests with it. When we first go it, we had a couple of guys shooting roughly a case at one...just a constant line of fire. It held up fine. We have also been keeping an eye on it as it sits out in the elements and it worked great the first game of the year. It has been out there for a couple of months now and it hasn't suffered any ill effects. We have had some nights get cold enough to where there was a heavy frost and the past week we have had days almost touch 90's....so far so good. The stuff is so stupid cheap, I don't see why someone wouldn't at least take a look at it. I think we paid like $80 for around a 200 foot section that is about 3 feet high. If it only lasts one season in durability, I will take it. The ease of installation, clean up and ability to move it on the fly is well worth it. We also don't have it set up like in the picture. We have it wrapped around rebar several times, spray it with an adhesive glue and then zip tie it. It pads the rebar and stablizes the fabric at the same time. Also, you don't want it pulled super tight either. That would add stress to it each time it gets shot. If you have it a little loose, that will help it absorb some of the energy.

Last edited by elraido; 06-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #47 (permalink)
Stock Class vs Agglets!!!

Quote:
You might be thinking of a different type. The stuff we use is for building roads. It is used as an underlay of the road so they don't have to use as much gravel. They have their base sand layer, then this, then gravel then black top. It is designed to prevent the gravel from mixing into the sand layer. If it can prevent rough jagged rocks from ripping into it while it has a few tons of pressure on top of it, I think it can take a couple of paintballs.

We have been doing tests with it. When we first go it, we had a couple of guys shooting roughly a case at one...just a constant line of fire. It held up fine. We have also been keeping an eye on it as it sits out in the elements and it worked great the first game of the year. It has been out there for a couple of months now and it hasn't suffered any ill effects. We have had some nights get cold enough to where there was a heavy frost and the past week we have had days almost touch 90's....so far so good. The stuff is so stupid cheap, I don't see why someone wouldn't at least take a look at it. I think we paid like $80 for around a 200 foot section that is about 3 feet high. If it only lasts one season in durability, I will take it. The ease of installation, clean up and ability to move it on the fly is well worth it. We also don't have it set up like in the picture. We have it wrapped around rebar several times, spray it with an adhesive glue and then zip tie it. It pads the rebar and stablizes the fabric at the same time. Also, you don't want it pulled super tight either. That would add stress to it each time it gets shot. If you have it a little loose, that will help it absorb some of the energy.
Do you have any pics of your bunkers? I'd be interested to see how they're set up.
LibertyRadeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRadeon View Post
Do you have any pics of your bunkers? I'd be interested to see how they're set up.
I haven't taken any since we set it up. Next time I am out there, I will. Should be sometime this week.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:

The way you explain the set up of a few layers,and sprayed and such sounds like it should do pretty well, and the price you mentioned for 200 feet it would be worth it if even only for a season..

all in all great idea the way you explain it.. I guess the field I have seen use the material may not have taken the time to do the job so it would last..

------
Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #50 (permalink)
Stock Class vs Agglets!!!

Quote:
I haven't taken any since we set it up. Next time I am out there, I will. Should be sometime this week.
Thanks!!!! My friends and I might setup a hyperball field on my friend's dad's land, the only thing is, the bunkers need to be removable. The bunkers you've used sound like they would be great.
LibertyRadeon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Outlaw / Private Fields