mcarterbrown.com  

Outlaw / Private Fields Playing paintball in your backyard or other non-business run field

Old 09-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #21 (permalink)

lol swiss my teeth are bad too, but not as bad as austin powers. it must be the Morgan blood, you know those Welsh. My father is Welsh the reason why i went to UK in the first place. A cross breed with redneck and welsh is hard to understand him.

however i do agree with not playing "outlaw" paintball. unless using private (parents/ friends land) land like most player used back in the day. Just over all safer.
cether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

good summery of the situation Swiss, on private land with permission it isn't against UK law but the s**t storm that could result in case of injury would be enormous and possibly bring unwanted attention to the sport. I would play in a wood or field owned by friends if it was all friends playing and there was no right of way, wasn't overlooked etc in the same way I'd shoot an airgun in the same situation, its a moot point though as I know no farmers! If you don't have permission then completely against the law.

There is one minor point I'm not sure you got right, paintball markers being classified as air weapons in the UK, it has always been my understanding that they aren't since they fire a "fragmentable" projectile although I'm aware its a murky area. Lets just leave it at if they are air weapons everyone in the UK with a TPX, T8, Splatmaster or any other pistol firing at more than 165 fps is commiting an offence under the firearms laws.
Cannon Fodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
The SwissBot 9K

Cannon Fodder take a looksie at this from from the UKPSF website...

The UKPSF is an organisation that represents paintball in the UK when it comes to legal matters, they know their stuff.

Quote:
The Firearms Act and Paintball

The Home Office does not consider paintball markers to be firearms because they fire frangible ammunition which breaks up on contact rather than inflicting a penetrating injury. The paintball industry uses the Air Weapons section of the firearms act to regulate the sport. Air weapons do not need a license if they fall within the following criteria, outside this criteria a licence is required. (This is a brief summary of the main points)

For a paintball marker to be classed as an "Air Weapon" and therefore not require a licence it must not be fired above 12 ft/lbs for a "rifle" type and 6 ft/lbs for a "pistol" type. Nearly all paintball markers come under the "rifle" type, only markers like the "splatmaster" come into the "pistol" category. If a marker fires above these limits they will then come under the Firearms Act and require a licence or be classed as a prohibited weapon. The recent amendment included carbon dioxide as an approved propellant previously only compressed air was allowed. Paintball markers must also only fire approved paintballs. Paintball markers must not be fully automatic i.e. when pulling the trigger once, two or more paintballs must not be discharged.

To stay within the law a paintball marker must not be fired above 330fps when using an average weight paintball, this equates to 12 ft/lbs. All tournament markers are restricted to a maximum velocity of 300fps, which equates to 9.9ft/lbs and site markers should be used at between 250-280fps to be safe for customers. This equates to 7ft/lbs-8.7ft/lbs.
As air weapons the fire arms act does not apply, but the VCRA and ASBA quoted earlier do.

Last edited by swiss; 09-12-2012 at 09:04 AM.
swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Did a little research on this because I found it interesting and discovered this.

"The Home Office regard self-loading or pump action rifled airguns (including paintball guns) as outside the scope of the Firearms Act, unless they are sufficiently powerful to fall within the category of a "specially dangerous" air weapon (Archbold 24.8a). Paintball guns could be considered imitation firearms."

It was found here.Firearms: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service

"Specially dangerous" for a rifle paintball gun would be right around 330 fps based on the information I found. Like it was mentioned earlier the pistols is where it becomes a problem. because of the lower force requirement to be listed as "specially dangerous" it comes in around the area of 180 fps.

Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
"Specially dangerous" for a rifle paintball gun would be right around 330 fps based on the information I found. Like it was mentioned earlier the pistols is where it becomes a problem. because of the lower force requirement to be listed as "specially dangerous" it comes in around the area of 180 fps.
Which makes no sense as both pistol and rifle paintball marker use the same propellant type, fire the same projectile type and internally are no different. Tib/TPX = Automag, T68 Pistol = Any Spyder marker.
I think our Lawmakers need to realise that unlike with real firearms, there is no distinction between "pistol type" and "rifle type" markers when it comes to paintball. Only difference is ammo capacity and size.
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
Cannon Fodder take a looksie at this from from the UKPSF website...

The UKPSF is an organisation that represents paintball in the UK when it comes to legal matters, they know their stuff.

As air weapons the fire arms act does not apply, but the VCRA and ASBA quoted earlier do.

At least someone did math to shows whys guns/firearms and paintball markers/gun are different in nature. From the ammo/rounds to the FPS and pounds at which a bullet and a paintball travel with.

Instead of, "they are bad and should be ban for life," that show how a irate and stupid a person can be, world wide. So the Queensland gets a vote for a good bench mark.
cether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

For airguns pistols are allowed to 6ft/lb, rifles 12ft/lb. this is because a pistol does become specially dangerous at a lower velocity due to its ability to be concealed. Another point is we were using co2 for years when all co2 airguns had to go on a firearms certificate (it was part of the change in law after dunblaine). Although the self appointed governing body and the industry might regard them as air guns it's what the home office think that really matters. Ps not against the governing body, they do great work!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

And on reading the flounders link I see that they are classed as airguns by the home office, apologies for muddying the waters.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
The SwissBot 9K

Thumbs up

I never doubted me for a second
Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

You know I might have to dig out the actual act and have a read through, I wonder where ukpsf got the bit about fragmentable projectiles from?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Outlaw / Private Fields