mcarterbrown.com  

Outlaw / Private Fields Playing paintball in your backyard or other non-business run field

Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

How do you guys organize your outlaw games (among friends)?

30 years old here with what used to be a solid group of players (maybe about 20 total, ages 24-40). Seems like interest has died off. This year we're lucky if 4 people want to play on the same weekend... and thats not enough to actually make anything happen. I have a nice outlaw field available on private land that has so far gone un-used all year. Tried for another game this coming weekend that just fell apart as no-one would commit to playing and interest fell to zero. I've even had weekends where everyone comes to me asking "whens the next game?" but when i put a date on the calendar for something its just crickets from the whole group. Anyone else run into this?

I have a basement full of equipment I'm always willing to lend out, and even go so far as to buy air for newcomers. I often will even provide the paint if I'm feeling generous. I'm thinking about throwing in the towel soon on these outlaw games...
Loochy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Where is this outlaw field?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
we have the same problem right now....

last year we had 14-20 guys every weekend or every other weekend.

we've played 4 times as a team this year... (once was a tourny), 2 days of outlaw ball, 1 day at a real field

its drivin me crazy.....

i cant figure it out either

on top of that... we just lost our property we were using (property owners dont want us there anymore )

sooo im debating on finding a new property to use... or sell my airball field

without interest... i dont want to hold the bunkers/find a property
with interest... it'd be worth it

blahhhh
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Maybe time to make some more friends? Seriously, it never hurts to head out to the local commercial field for a day, make some new acquaintances and hopefully recruit a few for the outlaw games. In the mean time it will help cure your itch to play when the regulars aren't interested.

All paintball players go through regular cycles of interest and disinterest. Our outlaw group has been pretty strong for the last 6-7 years, but we lose some for a while to new hobbies, financial downturns, geographical moves, family time, etc. Some come back after 1-2 years off, other don't and that's pretty standard. But we all take turns in trying to get some new blood to join us to keep numbers decent. And when that doesn't work, maybe 1 or 2 of us will hit a local field to change it up and spread the word.

Oh, and always post your games in the local section here at MCB. You never know who might be local and interested.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
we have the same problem right now....

last year we had 14-20 guys every weekend or every other weekend.

we've played 4 times as a team this year... (once was a tourny), 2 days of outlaw ball, 1 day at a real field

its drivin me crazy.....

i cant figure it out either

on top of that... we just lost our property we were using (property owners dont want us there anymore )

sooo im debating on finding a new property to use... or sell my airball field

without interest... i dont want to hold the bunkers/find a property
with interest... it'd be worth it

blahhhh
I feel your pain. The interest used to be there, but not so much these days. I'm wondering if I shut the effort down for a season if people will be more willing to play next year.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiX View Post
Maybe time to make some more friends? Seriously, it never hurts to head out to the local commercial field for a day, make some new acquaintances and hopefully recruit a few for the outlaw games. In the mean time it will help cure your itch to play when the regulars aren't interested.

All paintball players go through regular cycles of interest and disinterest. Our outlaw group has been pretty strong for the last 6-7 years, but we lose some for a while to new hobbies, financial downturns, geographical moves, family time, etc. Some come back after 1-2 years off, other don't and that's pretty standard. But we all take turns in trying to get some new blood to join us to keep numbers decent. And when that doesn't work, maybe 1 or 2 of us will hit a local field to change it up and spread the word.

Oh, and always post your games in the local section here at MCB. You never know who might be local and interested.

Good luck.
I like the idea of "recruiting" at a local field, but I'll still need to find at least one other person to head out with me, and all my buddies really prefer outlaw so its a hard sell, though not impossible. I dont think I could bring myself to head out to a commercial field on my own. Not my cup of tea.

Other problem is that the paintball comminuty in our area (as far as commercial fields go) is very young, and while I always say everyone is welcome at our field, inviting random teenagers to come out to our outlaw field just isn't the best idea for several reasons.

Inviting MCB'ers to come out is tempting, though I'd like to at least meet folks before they come out. The field is on my parents land which they generously welcome me to use for paintball, but i feel I owe them that I at least meet folks before I invite them out to the place. With the majority of the paintball community I've met its never been an issue, but there are bad apples everywhere and I want to know who I'm inviting out to their property before they just show up.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
Where is this outlaw field?
Outskirts of St Louis, MO
Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
i went out last year and i did recruit 3 or 4 new guys....

but idk... i need to go do it this season i guess
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loochy88 View Post
I like the idea of "recruiting" at a local field, but I'll still need to find at least one other person to head out with me, and all my buddies really prefer outlaw so its a hard sell, though not impossible. I dont think I could bring myself to head out to a commercial field on my own. Not my cup of tea.
I used to head to field with a buddy, but you'll wind up in the same spot; waiting on someone else to make plans. You may be surprised how much fun you can have going by yourself.

Quote:
Other problem is that the paintball comminuty in our area (as far as commercial fields go) is very young, and while I always say everyone is welcome at our field, inviting random teenagers to come out to our outlaw field just isn't the best idea for several reasons.
That's why you "vet" the invitees. After playing a few games and hanging in the staging area, you hopefully have a feel for those players who are mature enough to work together, out to have a good time and won't bring an attitude. Those are the folks you introduce yourself to. And group dynamics will usually help those invitees to assimilate to your established players or they don't come back.

Quote:
Inviting MCB'ers to come out is tempting, though I'd like to at least meet folks before they come out. The field is on my parents land which they generously welcome me to use for paintball, but i feel I owe them that I at least meet folks before I invite them out to the place. With the majority of the paintball community I've met its never been an issue, but there are bad apples everywhere and I want to know who I'm inviting out to their property before they just show up.
Honestly, MCB'ers are some of THE best players and friends you will meet in the sport. I would urge you to splurge for a membership and get to know some of the greenies for yourself. I would not hesitate to invite a member to any game.

It kinda boils down to taking a chance on something new.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
camocow200

Try this, make new friends..
Post up on your local Craigs list under ,for sale/ sporting goods with a header "lets play paintball" explain what kind of players your looking for, what kind of field is... Make a face book page with the name of the field or the name of your group with lots of pictures of the field, players and markers ..Get some cards made with a game schedule for the year and hand them out ..Talk to your local brick and mortor PB shop and see if they will promote your games and hand out cards and flyers..Its a win -win for them as it will increase sales for them.
Also do safety meeting before you start to play, include that this is a free game and no need for over shooting or beating other players up and that at the end of the day you will invite those that have played in honorable paintball will have a personal invitaion to come back , something like "hope to see you next game here" or " ya might wanna find another field thats more to your style of play".. In the end its up to you to control what kind of play you want for your own field..If i see a guy in 300.00 gear and 1000.00 marker, i have a lil chat before the game and explain that this game is just for everyones fun and not just a place to spray and pray..Every once in awhile we have teams show up thinking its just going to be target practice and have fun beating people up,. I just let them play amoung themselves on part of the field not in use or pit them agenst the entire group like 15 on 5. Word will get around that that your games suck with that kind of crowd and thats all good for your players on your field.
Here's a link to our face book page,
https://www.facebook.com/pages/High-...00865133355627
more,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyWbTVoKV4

Ebay, camocow200 (880) 100% +
MCB 275 +

Last edited by woouulf; 04-16-2013 at 02:49 PM.
woouulf is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Outlaw / Private Fields