mcarterbrown.com  

Outlaw / Private Fields Playing paintball in your backyard or other non-business run field

Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Check this out. The Insurance problem.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Is it possible to just organize the event under an LLC without insurance? If someone gets hurt and, even after telling them this is an outlaw field, no insurance, etc, if they sue they would be suing the LLC which would declare bankruptcy?
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Involvement with a company, even an LLC, doesn't preclude you from a personal lawsuit.

Can Someone sue personally if I own a LLC? - Yahoo! Answers
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
DonkeyPunchTheNightAway

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboater203 View Post
Check this out. The Insurance problem.
Crap. Thanks for popping my bubble! :P

I should get one hell of a waver made then have a notary near by.
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
Involvement with a company, even an LLC, doesn't preclude you from a personal lawsuit.

Can Someone sue personally if I own a LLC? - Yahoo! Answers
Damn, in the comments it says not holding insurance is the first thing they look for in a LLC set up to fraudulently protect the holder from being negligible.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidpaintball View Post
Crap. Thanks for popping my bubble! :P

I should get one hell of a waver made then have a notary near by.
Not to keep popping the bubble but the general consensus by many field owners is that waivers are barely worth the paper they're printed on. Most states do not allow you to sign away your right to sue. I don't want to discourage you guys from playing, but I do want you to be protected if something happens.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
DonkeyPunchTheNightAway

Brass N Wood Fan
How do you guys then play on your land? F it and hope for the best? Also kind of makes me a bit discouraged with paintball and ive been playing on and off since 96.

Last edited by Acidpaintball; 07-01-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidpaintball View Post
How do you guys then play on your land? F it and hope for the best? Also kind of makes me a bit discouraged with paintball and ive been playing on and off since 96.
To be honest, I've never played any other paintball then outlaw and it was always at friends houses with a lot of land or in undeveloped areas of the woods out of the way. I just recently got back into paintball so I haven't played outlaw recently but when I did it was always with close friends. I can confidently say 100% that none of the friends I played with would sue.

One piece of advice, don't take this the wrong way but lots of people in the paintball community like on boards and stuff are broke and not your friend. Don't post up "Outlaw game at my relatives house". When it comes to someone getting injured where they can't work they have to be a real good friend to not sue you. Especially if they haven't planned well and have bills piling up.

It's much cheaper then getting sued to buy markers and equipment to loan them to your best friends then taking on randoms and friends of friends because your just looking for people to play with.

This is the number one reason i'm building a marker collection, to get some games going with people I know very well. The dive shop guy down the road has some freshly hydro'd old scuba tanks that i'm picking up pretty soon. I'll make my friends buy their own masks.

Last edited by boo; 07-01-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
DonkeyPunchTheNightAway

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
To be honest, I've never played any other paintball then outlaw and it was always at friends houses with a lot of land or in undeveloped areas of the woods out of the way. I just recently got back into paintball so I haven't played outlaw recently but when I did it was always with close friends. I can confidently say 100% that none of the friends I played with would sue.

One piece of advice, don't take this the wrong way but lots of people in the paintball community like on boards and stuff are broke and not your friend. Don't post up "Outlaw game at my relatives house". When it comes to someone getting injured where they can't work they have to be a real good friend to not sue you. Especially if they haven't planned well and have bills piling up.

It's much cheaper then getting sued to buy markers and equipment to loan them to your best friends then taking on randoms and friends of friends because your just looking for people to play with.

This is the number one reason i'm building a marker collection, to get some games going with people I know very well. The dive shop guy down the road has some freshly hydro'd old scuba tanks that i'm picking up pretty soon. I'll make my friends buy their own masks.
Understandable... I'm also one of the broke ones :P but not a sue type. Besides I wouldn’t post something like that up I don't need some internet freaks to randomly show up at my father's house and pull some crap. Anyways most of my buddies are too chicken to play pb or other excuses. Well I do know a few pumpers and they did question me on doing a team so this could be a practice area. :P
Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

It doesn't matter how your friends "feel" about suing, if they get hurt on your land, their own insurance company will often sue, regardless of your friends views... As they are trying to cover the costs they paid out...

We live in a sue happy country. So you need insurance if you are going to play on your land. As others have said, a waiver doesn't stop any attorney from suing, as you can't sign your rights away. So picking the right players is critical... If it is your property, you may be able to just raise the amount of your policy to cover you. Just talk to your agent, to see what is available. My agent is on our players list and keeps promising to come play at our field...

In my state, if no money is exchanging hands then my property insurance covers it as long as it is your friends. Just like it would anyone who came to my house to fish, swim, ride quads, or horses or any of the other activities we do on our land.

But, you should always expect that if something goes wrong, you likely will be sued for it...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Outlaw / Private Fields