mcarterbrown.com  

Outlaw / Private Fields Playing paintball in your backyard or other non-business run field

Old 04-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Dwindling Utah Outlaw Fields...what is to be done?

When I moved to Utah in 2009 there were 4 'outlaw' fields convenient to civilization.

Today, 8 years later, one has closed due to road expansion, one is basically closed due bad conduct messing up relationship with the neighboring archery range, and one is supposedly open, but no one plays there (subdivision going in has all but closed it off).

That means that there is really only one outlaw field available to northern Utah paintball players.

Available outlaw fields have dwindled to ONE. It's depressing. What is to be done?

66% of the land in our state is managed by the federal government so there are places to play. Frankly an hours drive from almost anywhere along the Wasatch Front lands you in federal lands. Airsoft groups take advantage of this and play in the desert regularly. They set a 'rally point' and caravan out to their fields for a day of play.

That doesn't happen in the Utah paintball community. The reaction I have gotten to 'lets play in the desert' is always 'it's too far' (an hour drive for some paintball isn't that big a deal to me...).

What has everyone else done to identify new places to play?

Has anyone tried forming a paintball co-op that could use member dues to pay for liability insurance, potentially making private property owners more likely to tolerate a group of paintball players on their property?

Almost anywhere that is "convenient" (a half hour drive or less from most places in Utah or Salt Lake county) is going to be constantly at risk because of expansion. But maybe private property owners could be courted by a co-op that can offer some guarantees of insurance and cleanup.

Last edited by apamburn; 04-12-2017 at 09:25 PM.
apamburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cheffer

As a former Utah player, I'm interested in which of these fields are which!

I mostly played airport, since it was very close to my apartment.
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Airport closed down about 2 years ago. Something about road expansion at the Provo airport.

Squaw Peak field (next to archery range): archery range reps came into a local store complaining about player conduct and requested (demanded? I wasn't there) that we not play there anymore, though whether it is their property, that of the city, or federal property is in dispute. Effectively closed in my mind.

Eagle Mountain field: cops called multiple times (again, from what I have heard) and encroachment from subdivision being built behind the elementary school there.

Hobble Creek is the only well known outlaw field that is still active, that I know of.

Out in Eagle Mountain on the west side of lake mountain it would be easy to find places to play and that is pretty close to Utah County. But people complain if the field isn't practically in their backyard. :-(
Old 04-13-2017, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cheffer

Bummer to hear. I enjoyed airport, used to hit it with a pump.

Played a bit in Hobble, was fine as long as no hikers came through.

Squaw was tough for me, too much of a slope, but bummer people can't/don't play there any more.

Don't think I ever hit Eagle Mountain.
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
There's a group up in Ogden, got to in touch with Gooch for address, pretty active apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Asphincter Says What?

Look on ksl for postings to play at the old spec ops field, great place in north salt lake
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

You know I had a post ready to say it's too far but when I googled it...

O town is the same distance from my house as is Hobble Creek or Retribution. It's an hour's drive regardless. So heck with it, I suppose O town is in the cards after all. lol
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

We'll get games going in Ogden soon, our field got pretty beat with the runoff this year. Facebook is the best way to stay up-to-date with us. Search for "Ogden paintball"
Goocherrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'm on the Utah paintball facebook page and I am anxiously awaiting retribution to reopen for the season.

There are places to play, don't get me wrong. What im worried about is the fact that 75% of the outlaw fields in Utah county closed in the last 2 years and haven't been replaced. How do we as a community go about identifying new and convenient places to play?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zone South Ref/Player

Best outlaw field 8 years ago was the Murder House out in west Layton. Back when the Spec Ops game locator was functional, I would host games out there almost monthly. It was an old stone farm house with a bunch of out buildings. They demolished it awhile ago. We had written permission from the property owner to play out there. It was a blast.

There used to be a field up behind the bountiful temple. Not sure if anyone plays there anymore. It was a steep hike to get up there.
pneumaticninja is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Outlaw / Private Fields