mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Paintball News (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/paintball-news/)
-   -   Paintball player struck by lightning! (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/paintball-news/127020-paintball-player-struck-lightning.html)

melkson 07-11-2010 09:25 PM

Paintball player struck by lightning!

July 11--A lightning strike left a paintball player critically injured Saturday afternoon after a bolt hit a hilltop where six people were gathered, firefighters said.

Firefighters with the Ellicott Fire Department said the man, in his 20s, was hit at about 1:40 p.m. as he played at Dragon Man's Paintball Park off Highway 94 near Schriever Air Force Base.

He was standing with five others atop a hill when the bolt hit. Amazingly, only one person was injured, firefighters said.

Paintball players including several soldiers rushed to help the man, administering CPR.

"They did what soldiers do," said firefighter John Scorsine. "They serve people who are down."

The man was flown by helicopter to a Denver hospital. His condition wasn't available Saturday evening.

A worker who answered the phone at the paintball venue, said the man was breathing when he was loaded aboard the helicopter. The woman would not give her name.

melkson 07-11-2010 09:28 PM

This happened at my local field. He was standing on the berm at the edge of the field after being shot out, gun held barrel up, and BOOM!

Word is he's in a coma but doing better

Am I a bad person for wanting to know if his marker is ok too?

motorpsycho 07-11-2010 09:28 PM

yikes.... hoping for the best

Buck 07-11-2010 09:31 PM

Ouch... I hope he is ok!

jokers 07-11-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melkson (Post 1387227)
This happened at my local field. He was standing on the berm at the edge of the field after being shot out, gun held barrel up, and BOOM!

Word is he's in a coma but doing better

Am I a bad person for wanting to know if his marker is ok too?

I will hope for his speedy recovery.
No I do not think you are a bad person now if you were to be making jokes like his gun is now a true lighting or some stuff like that. Then i would worry about you. IMO all you are doing is worrying about the total well being of a fellow player.

oldschool 07-11-2010 09:44 PM

I was talking with my brother and niece and nephews this afternoon who are out in Colorado Springs and I told them I had not heard about this yet but I was sure it would be posted up here at some point.

Thanks for proving me correct :)

I hope the guy is going to come out of this ok.

thisissparta 07-11-2010 09:49 PM

Makes me really happy that I'm moving out to play paintbulletz in the mountains.

Hopefully he's okay and has a cool story to tell his grandkids.

Maj Tom 07-11-2010 09:58 PM

Lightning's not fun. My brother and I got a good shock after lightning struck our neighbors tree about 50' away. We were playing Smuggler's Run 2 on the PS2 and it just turned white outside, ears began to ring and it felt like I got kicked in the chest.

Toasted the PS2, controllers, tv cable was melted up to the lightning arrestor, 6 tv's in the house and my watch.

Robertsr 07-11-2010 10:22 PM

Lightning struck the building I was working in back when I was a summer camp counselor. That might not have been too bad, but it was a gem-cutting shop (read water everywhere and electric polishers and grinders). I was turning off one of the machines when it hit, and it spun me around like a top. When I came to rest, I couldn't move my right arm.

My legs still worked, so I walked next door to the nurses office, and when she started to examine me, I shocked the crap out of her. I was sore for days, but mostly ok.

Mayvik 07-11-2010 10:47 PM

Doh! That's disturbing...another reason to use plastic guns I guess? :p